DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Danger of not updating firmware?

you have just opened a can of worms!

To answer your question, NO. It is just like not updating windows, or device drivers on your computer. It will work, you just wont have the latest bug fixes. There are some that will swear that firmware updates GIVE you problems, and for every one of them there are 1000 people that will tell you they wont.
Most updates are just bug fixes, if they create problems they are addressed pretty quickly. I have done every update with out issues at all.
If you update firmware, you must update software too. Often firmware/software updates are due to IOS (apple) updates to remain compatible. If you update anything, update everything.

Reactions: locoman
you have just opened a can of worms!

To answer your question, NO. It is just like not updating windows, or device drivers on your computer. It will work, you just wont have the latest bug fixes. There are some that will swear that firmware updates GIVE you problems, and for every one of them there are 1000 people that will tell you they wont.
Most updates are just bug fixes, if they create problems they are addressed pretty quickly. I have done every update with out issues at all.
If you update firmware, you must update software too. Often firmware/software updates are due to IOS (apple) updates to remain compatible. If you update anything, update everything.
Not really a can of worms. The simple answer to the straight forward question is, no.

If I update I won't be able to exceed the max. altitude of 500m /1640 foot.

Not really a can of worms. The simple answer to the straight forward question is, no.
What if his current version is one that is supposedly "buggy"? Would the answer be the same?
Too bad people have such a fear of updates.

What if his current version is one that is supposedly "buggy"? Would the answer be the same?
The answer would be EXACTLY the same as my original reply (#2 above). It's not a fear of updates. It's the ability to change settings on the craft, and the fact that just after 1.03.0700, DJI started secretly taking your data. Which stopped the US military from using their products. Those are two very good reasons right there, which have absolutely nothing to do with fear (kinda)...

I was at the current firmware update but I did not like it soo I downgraded to a different firmware and made a few changes to the firmware file.

The answer would be EXACTLY the same as my original reply (#2 above). It's not a fear of updates. It's the ability to change settings on the craft, and the fact that just after 1.03.0700, DJI started secretly taking your data. Which stopped the US military from using their products. Those are two very good reasons right there, which have absolutely nothing to do with fear (kinda)...
Ok then.

Things have changed quite a bit in the last few updates. But some us us will never know I guess.
Now they ask permission to access your data, location, gps on device, gps on craft etc...... But I guess you wouldnt know that being a non updater. :D Its all good, if you notice a said No too in my first reply. But you got on the no update defense too quick!

I was at the current firmware update but I did not like it soo I downgraded to a different firmware and made a few changes to the firmware file.
I actually stopped updating at .0700, when I heard that "something" fishy was happening with DJI and FW. Everyone says that there's never been a forced update, but sure enough the update between 0800 and 0900 was forced. This is when the spying problem started. I've reset several variables in my FW and have been very happy with the performance of the Mavic. I will be at 0700 forever :)

Reactions: Lopez0015
Ok then.

Things have changed quite a bit in the last few updates. But some us us will never know I guess.
Now they ask permission to access your data, location, gps on device, gps on craft etc...... But I guess you wouldnt know that being a non updater. :D Its all good, if you notice a said No too in my first reply. But you got on the no update defense too quick!

I can still read the release notes and decide I don't need "optimized startup music" more than my freedom to fly up a 700m cliffside. And I use Litchi so I don't have to deal with DJI spying.

In my experience the folks who always upgrade haven't been around long enough to be burned by an update. Even before DJI started removing functionality it was still a good idea to wait and see what bugs popped up before updating.

In my experience the folks who always upgrade haven't been around long enough to be burned by an update. Even before DJI started removing functionality it was still a good idea to wait and see what bugs popped up before updating.

^^Exactly... Besides, who wants to sit around running marginal updates all of the time, instead of going out and flying? Staying on .0700 has allowed me to just grab my backpack and head for the door. My craft could not be more stabile, and I can land it on the tarmac or fly 3,000 feet AGL if I wanted to. Following each update there's always a series of new threads here reporting problems. I just happily skip over those.

Reactions: Lopez0015

this has already been addressed - but dji put the thumb down too hard wit data collection & arbitrary restrictions. i'm at .700, and there i will stay. always fly in airplane mode, firewall in place.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato