DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Davinci resolve, editing techniques

tck444

Reactions
I recently downloaded "Davinci Resolve" as I wanted to add new techniques to my editing. My impression is generally favorable but seems there is a learning curve and I was only able to run the software smoothly after upgrading to 32 GB RAM.

I saw numerous tutorials on "Speed Ramp" techniques in transition's and put together 3 short clips for practice. While any editing can be easily overused, I wanted to something a little more than the standard cross fades. Example follows, comments appreciated!

Reactions: redxeth
Interesting clips Tim. There is one fellow on YouTube that has created a number of custom transitions available for free, including links to sound effects. I found a link to one of his videos. He has several where he offers different types of transitions for Davinci Resolve. Here is one to point you in a direction...

Thanks, I will check it out. Seems my current results could use some refining?

Thanks, I will check it out. Seems my current results could use some refining?
It's all a matter of taste. I didn't find anything objectionable. How much refining? Up to you. The last project I did I must have done 20+ separate edits after I thought I was finished with it. I think when we decide on transitions the best way to look at it is that you either want to see the transition and make it a deliberate part of the "style key" you're presenting, or not have the view aware of the transitions at all.

While not applicable for this video, something to be very aware of is the sound. With a continuous sound track it's usually best to make sure your cuts and transitions line up with the music if possible. Something more aggressive might include a whip-like video transition with a "whoosh" sound. In cinematography, often the sound transition precedes the video transition. There are so many creative things that we can do today from our desktops at home. With today's editing programs it's pretty much given, if you can think it you can do it.

I tried the additional transitions mostly as a learning experience. Many of my clips are uploaded to "Black Box" or "Shutter Stock" where the heavy editing is discouraged. Currently working under the premise that, "Less is More"

I recently downloaded "Davinci Resolve" as I wanted to add new techniques to my editing. My impression is generally favorable but seems there is a learning curve and I was only able to run the software smoothly after upgrading to 32 GB RAM.

I saw numerous tutorials on "Speed Ramp" techniques in transition's and put together 3 short clips for practice. While any editing can be easily overused, I wanted to something a little more than the standard cross fades. Example follows, comments appreciated!

Will these work with Adobe Premiere Pro? I doubt but it doesn't hurt to ask!

Dale

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada