DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Daylight, Golden Hour, Blue Hour, Twilight Restricted Airspace for Rec Pilots? I am confused.

Skyryder

Reactions
So I live near the edge of a 5 mile radius of an airport, all flight basically need LAANCE. I know recreational pilots cant fly at night in restricted airspace but what is the actual cut off? The moment the sun is below the horizon? Before that during golden hour? 20 minutes after it sets when it's still bright out also known as blue hour or twilight?

§107.29 defines night ops as the hours between sunset and sunrise and LAANC requires a 107 certification to authorize flight in controlled airspace at night and must have anti collision lighting.

This article from the Aloft website also defines how §107 pilots can apply for clearance for night flight in controlled airspace covered by the LAANC system.

Reactions: 4006448
Anything outside daylight hours in controlled airspace needs a 107. So sunrise to sunset.

There are many apps that will tell you when it is considered sunset (or sunrise) in your area. I use Photo Pills but I'm sure you could also find the information online.

Reactions: MA2 317
So I live near the edge of a 5 mile radius of an airport, all flight basically need LAANCE. I know recreational pilots cant fly at night in restricted airspace but what is the actual cut off? The moment the sun is below the horizon? Before that during golden hour? 20 minutes after it sets when it's still bright out also known as blue hour or twilight?

A five-mile radius around an airport relative to drone operation has meaning only in the past and in lingering folklore.

Have a look at the B4YOUFLY mobile app or use the desktop version to check your intended flight locations. It's the official word from the FAA.

The Pilot Institute produced a good summary of night operations rules for both Part 107 and recreational flights.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan