DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Greetings! DJI restricted zone question

Booz

Reactions
Hello! Finally received my new Mavic Air 2 yesterday! I am very excited to start flying, but now have a few questions that i cant seem to find any solid answers to.

Before buying the MA2, I downloaded the B4UFLY and AIRMAP apps to see what the airspace limitations were at my house since i do live near the anoka county airport (ANE). I was pleased to see that all i needed to do (or so i thought!) was obtain an auto authorization via LAANC. seemed easy enough, and was happy to see i could fly in my backyard.

so i pulled the trigger and bought the MA2 along with a FAA UAS certificate.

well, last night as i was setting everything up and updating firmwares and such; once i got into the dji fly app, i now see that my house i literally across the street from the end of the dji restricted zone due to the airport runway orientation (image below).

Neither AIRMAP or B4UFLY show this zone, so im not able to do the initial flight or any practice flights at home at the moment.

dji_rz.PNG

So i headed over to the dji flysafe site to look into getting a self unlock license in order to fly in my backyard and around my house. The flysafe site says something like "if you believe you have authorization to fly in a RZ, email flysafe.."

the part that sticks out is the "if you believe you have authorization" line. what would constitute a believed authorization?

If i can obtain an auto-authorization from the FAA via LAANC, would that count as being authorized to fly in a DJI RZ that i could then use when emailing the flysafe team?

I get why the RZ is there (for safety), and i will travel outside the RZ to fly if necessary. But wanted to get some other opinions from more experienced pilots on this before i throw in the towel.

*bonus question!*
On the FAA page for recreational drone pilots, they mention needing to pass a 'aeronautical knowledge and safety test' in a few places on their site. but then on another page says that requirement is coming in the future.

Is there a knowledge test requirement right now? :)

Thanks in advance for any info!

Now being canadian i cant speak to the rules of the FAA however i believe according to canadian laws you have to get permission from the airport. This is obviously not worth the hassle for most people and like you my residence is on the same style border due to the near airport. However the blue zones that you can auto unlock may interfere with laws on flying within an airport. For me i cannot fly within 5.6km of an airport in every direction which on the app would overlap some of the blue auto unlock zones meaning and i have auto unlocked the area and been able to take off but quickly landed due to not wanting to risk anything. I typically stay away from most of these areas to avoid any sort of issue as im not an expert on the rules and regulations and its been a while since i took the quick online certification but i would think the FAA is the rules you would want to follow and the DJI app zones are just to help you stay out of trouble.

Reactions: mrjohnc1 and Booz
Now being canadian i cant speak to the rules of the FAA however i believe according to canadian laws you have to get permission from the airport. This is obviously not worth the hassle for most people and like you my residence is on the same style border due to the near airport. However the blue zones that you can auto unlock may interfere with laws on flying within an airport. For me i cannot fly within 5.6km of an airport in every direction which on the app would overlap some of the blue auto unlock zones meaning and i have auto unlocked the area and been able to take off but quickly landed due to not wanting to risk anything. I typically stay away from most of these areas to avoid any sort of issue as im not an expert on the rules and regulations and its been a while since i took the quick online certification but i would think the FAA is the rules you would want to follow and the DJI app zones are just to help you stay out of trouble.

Hey Dilly

I appreciate the reply!

I believe in the US, the LAANC system allows me to request an auto-authorization for flights in the nearby airport's airspace. I am just unsure if getting a successful authorization would be enough for the DJI flysafe peeps to issue an unlock license for the area around my home. ?‍♂️

I may just email flysafe to see what they say.

welcome to the forum,
the knowledge test requirement,has not started yet it is coming when the new rules are introduced

Hello! Finally received my new Mavic Air 2 yesterday! I am very excited to start flying, but now have a few questions that i cant seem to find any solid answers to.

Before buying the MA2, I downloaded the B4UFLY and AIRMAP apps to see what the airspace limitations were at my house since i do live near the anoka county airport (ANE). I was pleased to see that all i needed to do (or so i thought!) was obtain an auto authorization via LAANC. seemed easy enough, and was happy to see i could fly in my backyard.

well, last night as i was setting everything up and updating firmwares and such; once i got into the dji fly app, i now see that my house i literally across the street from the end of the dji restricted zone due to the airport runway orientation (image below).

Neither AIRMAP or B4UFLY show this zone, so im not able to do the initial flight or any practice flights at home at the moment.

View attachment 103064

So i headed over to the dji flysafe site to look into getting a self unlock license in order to fly in my backyard and around my house. The flysafe site says something like "if you believe you have authorization to fly in a RZ, email flysafe.."

the part that sticks out is the "if you believe you have authorization" line. what would constitute a believed authorization?

If i can obtain an auto-authorization from the FAA via LAANC, would that count as being authorized to fly in a DJI RZ that i could then use when emailing the flysafe team?

I get why the RZ is there (for safety), and i will travel outside the RZ to fly if necessary. But wanted to get some other opinions from more experienced pilots on this before i throw in the towel.

*bonus question!*
On the FAA page for recreational drone pilots, they mention needing to pass a 'aeronautical knowledge and safety test' in a few places on their site. but then on another page says that requirement is coming in the future.

You are in a 100 ft LAANC grid, so if you can get an extended LAANC authorization then that should be good enough. However, that would then require DJI to unlock the entire restricted zone for you I think. Worth asking though.

You are in a 100 ft LAANC grid, so if you can get an extended LAANC authorization then that should be good enough. However, that would then require DJI to unlock the entire restricted zone for you I think. Worth asking though.

worked it all out. Got an authorization via LAANC, sent that over to flysafe through a custom unlock request, and have been approved/unlocked (for today at least). ?

thanks for the reply!

Welcome to the forum! :)

e

View attachment 103064

*bonus question!*

Are you talking about the part 107 knowledge test? If so that is only required for commercial. Only if you are going to make money with your drone.

Reactions: Booz and mrjohnc1
Welcome to the forum. You will find all sorts of support and assistance here. We look forward to seeing your view of the world.

e

Are you talking about the part 107 knowledge test? If so that is only required for commercial. Only if you are going to make money with your drone.

Not the 107, yet.. ?

Was seeing some conflicting info on the FAA site for recreational registration. Sounds like a basic knowledge test is in the works, but not required right now.

Reactions: old man mavic
Thanks for the warm welcome too!

Had a chance to fly and shoot some footage and pictures yesterday. The Mavic Air 2 is pretty slick and the pics/videos are really good quality. I can already sense I'm going to want to buy a mavic 2 pro at some point. Ha..

Looking forward to learning more from yall!

If you're north of KANE you would be clear of the class B. Lot's of airports around as you know. But...lot's of lakes and neat scenery so we DO expect some cool video's ..welcome! by the way

If you're north of KANE you would be clear of the class B. Lot's of airports around as you know. But...lot's of lakes and neat scenery so we DO expect some cool video's ..welcome! by the way

Hey Hiflyer, thanks!

I am almost straight due west of KANE, and less than 100ft from the outside edge of DJI's restricted zone for the east/west runway.

I'll see what I can capture! Got a few decent (to me) photos and one short video over my house during sunset yesterday while checking out all the different options. Not sure if I'll post em, because they're probably not that good! ?

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne