DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Daytona 500 - drone used by Fox Sports

Not even close. If the networks had that much pull you'd never be able to fly a drone EVER.

Would you be ok with a random UAS flying eye level if you was at a sporting event knowing there are no bar for entry?

I continue to be amazed at all the conspiracy-mindedness (I started to say conspiracy theorists but I won’t use that more loaded term and assume the folks here are just very concerned about their hobby, or in a few cases occupation). But to reiterate your point: can we really not understand why I or any random drone driver is not allowed to fly around anywhere we want while the official telecaster is? I mean really? i promise they have gone through rigorous security clearances and training before they do that 99% of us ever will. I’m much more concerned when the airport I fly into and out of up north To get to my own house is regularly shut down by a presidential TFR, but I don’t see half the complaints on pilot forums about that as do about the relatively rare TFR keeping our drones on the ground.

Reactions: sar104 and BigAl07
I'm pretty sure it's a Yuneec Q500
IMG_0510.jpg
Yup! It's a match! Having never owned a Yuneec, I was unfamiliar with it!
Sure can easily be TP'd!
Priced at $399 like the Mavic Mini, it's should come as no surprise.
It's certainly no Inspire!
At least the Inspire series can take a licking and keep on ticking!

Reactions: BigAl07
I continue to be amazed at all the conspiracy-mindedness (I started to say conspiracy theorists but I won’t use that more loaded term and assume the folks here are just very concerned about their hobby, or in a few cases occupation). But to reiterate your point: can we really not understand why I or any random drone driver is not allowed to fly around anywhere we want while the official telecaster is? I mean really? i promise they have gone through rigorous security clearances and training before they do that 99% of us ever will. I’m much more concerned when the airport I fly into and out of up north To get to my own house is regularly shut down by a presidential TFR, but I don’t see half the complaints on pilot forums about that as do about the relatively rare TFR keeping our drones on the ground.

I agree. Here's my 2-cents and then I'll get off my soap box (maybe lol):

Point #1: For the last couple of years UAS operators (not all but most) wanted to be able to fly in areas of the NAS that were reserved/restricted for Manned/Trained/Credentialed pilots only. People said "We're aviators too and we deserve the opportunity to fly higher, father, and in those "Controlled" airspaces. So FAA has gone to great trouble to create methods for UAS operators to be able to safely integrate both Commercial and Hobby operators into the NAS. With this "luxury" comes some responsibility and complications. We can't have our CAKE and EAT IT TOO and this is exactly what many UAS operators are seeking. They want to be able to fly in areas previously NOT ALLOWED just like the big boys but they don't want to play by all the same general rules the big boys play by.

The above is like asking DOT to provide a special "Traffic Light" at each intersection so you can "Freely" drive your R/C car/truck on the highway without being bothered by stopped at existing red lights.

Point #2: Dual UAS Regulations. Many operators have complained about how crazy and complicated it is to have DUAL rules for UAS.... one strict set for Commercial operations and one very slack set for hobbyists. Even flying the exact same aircraft in the exact same airspace but INTENT of the flight changes the rules across the board. So now FAA has made an effort (still not there yet IMHO) to make the rules more similar. I for one think that the current Part 107 should be called Hobby/Recreational and it should indeed have not only a hobby/Rec knowledge test but it should also have a flight demonstration aspect as well. Part 107 should be tougher and should have a fairly in-depth flight demonstration as well as demonstrate knowledge of how to obtain Authorizations etc.

Point #3: Flying as a trained and credentialed part of the "Organization" with which is a part of the event (Network UAS Pilot in the topic at hand) and John Boy flying down in the stadium from the back of his car in the parking lot is very much like comparing an apple to a brick. Of course the operators who are PART OF THE EVENT should be able to fly during the event. Not only does the operator who is part of the organization have the needed credentials (the Org is on the hook if he/she does not), they probably have COMMS with others who are part of the event and they probably understand what's going on When/Where/How at the event. Their actions are somewhat "Scripted" as to what they are doing. They aren't flying WIlly-Nilly.

I can assure you it's a lot more of a hassle for the Manned Aircraft operations to fly around an event/VIP TFR than it is for us not being able to get our UAS in the air for that one-of-a-kind shot for our portfolio. Yet we don't see this level of complaining and griping on the Manned Aircraft forums.

Just follow the money, TFR's (like this one) are not about safety at an event, it's about the network broadcasting licenses and money. If it were really about safety not even the networks could use drones at large events.

These TFRs predate any significant drone use and you might have been able to figure out from the size (30 NM) that they were not about drones. So no - your assertion is obviously incorrect.

It’s not a Mavic but Fox Sport is using a drone in their Daytona 500 broadcast. It’s getting some great shots and the announcers have remarked about it’s speed keeping up with the pace car that is traveling 80 mph.
I really cant believe that any drone flight is allowed near the D500. peerhaps at the 24H, in the infield @ 3AM....

Not even close. If the networks had that much pull you'd never be able to fly a drone EVER.

Would you be ok with a random UAS flying eye level if you was at a sporting event knowing there are no bar for entry?

You just might be surprised how much influence big biz has on the FAA.

You just might be surprised how much influence big biz has on the FAA.

Oh I'm well aware of that... hence the mess of UAS regulations we have now and more coming.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa