DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dealing with "idiots"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a perfect example:

Seriously, and with no disrespect to you intended, you just asked a question often asked and received a lot of good answers from people who did not feel put off by your desire to know.

I don't take offence but I did actually search before posting what I did. I went through 8 pages first as I was sure something like this was probably discussed before and I didn't want to be an example of what I was complaining about. After a search I thought hey ho.

If I posted what I did and on the same page as my thread there was 6 other posts all about the same thing then I'd question what I did.

Reactions: netsonic
Try one of these there's many types out there other than that be kind and remember how u answer people reflect the drone industry or the next drone flyer they encounter

Attachments

• s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 36
It’s inevitable in any forum dedicated to a new product or technology. You tend to have a lot of activity in the beginning with everyone relatively new that product and asking lots of questions that are helpful to most of the members. As that forum matures you tend to have the now “founding member” types who have been there from the start and have seen and heard before virtually every topic or question that has come up.

Over time there becomes fewer and fewer unique new things to talk about and I can see how certain members can get frustrated because all the newbies just coming on for the first time seem to be asking the same questions over and over-particularly if that founding member is really on the forum to learn more about the product and isn’t really interested in educating others. That’s completely fine. Everyone uses the forum for different purposes. There’s no requirement to educate others; however, we’ve all been in the situation at some point where we just got this new thing and we are excited to talk about it or learn new things about it.

Sometimes it takes the new folks awhile to learn to search the forums before putting up a topic. They are probably just anxious to get their thoughts across or have just had a big issue and are freaking out and don’t think to sit down and do research first before they throw out their topic.

Long story short the more you are on the forum the less exciting it likely is because you’ve seen this and done that already and everything just seems like repetition. That’s when you go get some other completely new gadget like a Skydio 2 Like I did! Then you have all kinds of new Issues and facts to talk about!

:)

Z

I feel as a "community", we as drone pilots, should try to be educators and ambassadors. Currently there is enough misinformation and hysteria concerning drones and their use. If I can enlighten even one person about the positive side of drones and dispel some of the misconceptions, hopefully that will be one less person eager to jump on the bandwagon to pass laws/ordinances to restrict drones.
Exactly! No question is dumb. I am still alive because I have asked questions.
Anyone on this forum asking a question is doing so for a reason. If you can help, why would you not?

Rule #2 It's all "small stuff"
As an aside, if they are asking because their "stupid DJI drone flew away", then when this community responds, they hopefully will learn valuable lessons, albeit, expensive ones.

Reactions: netsonic
Do you guys have a magical ability to deal with people who ask stupid questions?

how far will it go?
how fast will it go?
how high will it go?
how do I point my antennas?
what does RTH do?

I've seen so many conversations on various sites / groups where people are asking the same questions over and over and they are all in the manual.

Ten minutes later they'll either argue the toss with your reply or they'll have a crash that is totally DJI's fault.

i admit I asked a few questions before I had the drone and I've tried to learn stuff as I go but I've read the manual thoroughly!
?? Don’t sweat the small stuff and never pet the sweaty stuff??

Forgive me but heading the subject Dealing with “Idiots” and asking how to deal with “Stupid” questions comes across to me as saying far more about you than them!

I have always drawn comfort from my peers telling me in aviation there is no such thing as a stupid question.

The “Idiot” is the one who doesn’t know something, or is unsure, doesn’t ask the question and carries on regardless.

Reactions: pelagic_one
I haven't been flying drones very long but of course now I know everything about them:) It was a eyeopener to me when I got Airdata and after downloading all my flights starting with my Phantom3 and looking back at my first flights to be forced to remember.....I stayed in a very small area in my back yard for a loooooooong time. I didn't know anything then and I probably don't know all that much now.

Reactions: Paulf10
Try one of these there's many types out there other than that be kind and remember how u answer people reflect the drone industry or the next drone flyer they encounter

I bet that yellow t-shirt will be required wearing with the new FAA proposal!

the fact they are asking such questions is why they come on the forum in the first because (a) they haven't read the manual (b) they do not realise that there even is a manual,and we as fellow fliers try to help them if we can to become better fliers ,i agree that some of the questions have obvious answers, but we are all different ,and it is nice to be able to point people in the right direction as it helps promote our hobby
As a retired B737 skipper, I can safely say that I have been asked those same questions + What does that button do? Do you know what all those lights and dials mean? How often do aeroplanes crash? (just the once in my experience). Do you know where we are? (no). and on...

These were in the days before terrorism and locked flight deck doors and we were allowed (required) to entertain the passengers. Now we cant do that. We made a lot of friends by answering all those questions. I found 12 year olds were the most aware. They asked such things: How much money do you earn? (usualy from the girls). Do you drive a mercedes? (again one from the girls). The boys were different, the asked things like: Do you get to like lots of blonds? Do you get to loads of parties? Whats you favourite footbal team? (for gods sake dont say rangers when carrying a plane load of celtic supporters) ..... and on.

My point? These folk who ask questions love you. They see you as a responsible and expert person. Dont dissapoint them. When anyone takes command of any flying machine, kite, drone, B747, you also become a diplomat. Be proud of that.

I work in the oil and gas industry as a field service tech and I’ve had some pretty smart engineers ask what they thought were stupid questions. I always answer the same way:” there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers”. If you don’t want to answer those questions, then don’t!
Cheers,

I don't take offence but I did actually search before posting what I did. I went through 8 pages first as I was sure something like this was probably discussed before and I didn't want to be an example of what I was complaining about. After a search I thought hey ho.

If I posted what I did and on the same page as my thread there was 6 other posts all about the same thing then I'd question what I did.
I have done the same. I've asked a "stupid" question or two in my time. After gaining some experience, I later discover that my questions were among those frequently asked and answered. On rereading the manual I have found my answer that I missed the first time. It's part of the game, and we have all been there. Any question worth asking is worth answering. So I was just poking fun.

I am a new drone pilot. I read and reread the manuals. I also come to the forums everyday. I still learn or refresh what I already know. Sometimes the “stupid” questions bring up a point that Only reinforces my failing memory. I doubt if many drone pilots remember everything in the manuals or what they saw on utube.
I will be back tomorrow to read more stupid questions. I also have a private single engine license and have watch for updates there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne