DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dealing with "idiots"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chriscuk

Reactions
Do you guys have a magical ability to deal with people who ask stupid questions?

how far will it go?
how fast will it go?
how high will it go?
how do I point my antennas?
what does RTH do?

I've seen so many conversations on various sites / groups where people are asking the same questions over and over and they are all in the manual.

Ten minutes later they'll either argue the toss with your reply or they'll have a crash that is totally DJI's fault.

i admit I asked a few questions before I had the drone and I've tried to learn stuff as I go but I've read the manual thoroughly!

People learn differently - some prefer to read, some are visual learners, some like lectures and presentations, and some prefer conversation.

It’s nothing new with SUAS - this happens in every forum on every topic, even things as esoteric as target archery and stamp collecting.

Don’t let it bother you, unless you’re directly responsible for educating someone. It’s human nature!

the fact they are asking such questions is why they come on the forum in the first because (a) they haven't read the manual (b) they do not realise that there even is a manual,and we as fellow fliers try to help them if we can to become better fliers ,i agree that some of the questions have obvious answers, but we are all different ,and it is nice to be able to point people in the right direction as it helps promote our hobby

Hmmmm, I’ve seen this question come up before [emoji848][emoji51]

The best way is to post a few relative search results, if they specifically answer the question well.
Sometimes questions need a more up to date reply, but teaching people about how good the search feature is gives them a good pointer for future use.

Do you guys have a magical ability to deal with people who ask stupid questions?

how far will it go?
how fast will it go?
how high will it go?
how do I point my antennas?
what does RTH do?

I've seen so many conversations on various sites / groups where people are asking the same questions over and over and they are all in the manual.

Ten minutes later they'll either argue the toss with your reply or they'll have a crash that is totally DJI's fault.

i admit I asked a few questions before I had the drone and I've tried to learn stuff as I go but I've read the manual thoroughly!
Is it that hard to simply ignore them?

I guess I should have taken my own advice.

How did you learn about this industry?

We all should be Ambassadors for the industry and try to give positive, factual, and supportive replies to those questions. Consider it as a form of flattery that they are interested enough to even ask.

I've replied to enough people over the last few weeks. I don't want people crashing just because I didn't answer them.

It just annoys me that people are too lazy to read the instructions on something that could easily kill someone
don't let it bother you, there is no obligation on you or anyone else on the forum to answer any questions if they don't want to,and if you want to know something that is not in the manual then ask away and someone will try to help

I cannot begin to tell you how much I've learned by the questions 'others' have asked on this forum. Most people won't ask. . . that is even worse!

I learnt about this year's ago when I was playing a game that needed mobile internet in places there wasn't any. I looked into ways of getting data and realised that I could simply attach a phone to a drone and relay data. I was flying in "secure" areas so had to research what I could and couldn't do. If I didn't seek relevant approval I'd have been having words with the military police so decided to do as much research as I could. I read manuals, I watched YouTube documentaries and then did a lot of trial and error with an old school phantom.

I try to learn then ask questions.

Sure enough I like to read about people's mistakes and other people's findings. I do love trying to keep up with the knowledge of a few of the guys on here. Some of the stuff they say is almost another language but I'm happy to go away and try to understand.

People learn differently - some prefer to read, some are visual learners, some like lectures and presentations, and some prefer conversation.

It’s nothing new with SUAS - this happens in every forum on every topic, even things as esoteric as target archery and stamp collecting.

Don’t let it bother you, unless you’re directly responsible for educating someone. It’s human nature!
Well said!

I don’t believe that there is such a thing as a stupid question. I look at it as an opportunity to educate someone like so many people have done for me in my life.

I don't mind questions. When I train someone at work, I tell them there is no such thing as a stupid question.
The only "stupid" question is the one that is not asked.

Here is a perfect example:

Seriously, and with no disrespect to you intended, you just asked a question often asked and received a lot of good answers from people who did not feel put off by your desire to know.

I feel as a "community", we as drone pilots, should try to be educators and ambassadors. Currently there is enough misinformation and hysteria concerning drones and their use. If I can enlighten even one person about the positive side of drones and dispel some of the misconceptions, hopefully that will be one less person eager to jump on the bandwagon to pass laws/ordinances to restrict drones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milixa9705