DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Death of a M2Z

EyeFlightDrone

Reactions
It happened. A gold white hawk came flying at me and my car, after it had attacked my drone. The drone was tracking my car at 20mph and the hawk was tracking my drone. The drone, named Merlin, went crazy and flipped upside down in a pine tree 80 feet high. The hawk flew in front of my car and it was like my mind took a photo of it. It was beautiful with light colors of gold and white like a god in radiance. It blew my mind. However, I am unable to think of a way to get Merlin down and this could be the end, but will try again. It's been a long. Happy flying.

It happened. A gold white hawk came flying at me and my car, after it had attacked my drone. The drone was tracking my car at 20mph and the hawk was tracking my drone. The drone, named Merlin, went crazy and flipped upside down in a pine tree 80 feet high. The hawk flew in front of my car and it was like my mind took a photo of it. It was beautiful with light colors of gold and white like a god in radiance. It blew my mind. However, I am unable to think of a way to get Merlin down and this could be the end, but will try again. It's been a long. Happy flying.

There are trained people who can climb trees using special cleats on their boots. I don't know if you can find or hire someone like that. You might ask at a local tree service or fire station or climbing club.

Good luck with recovery or getting a new drone.

Watch a bunch of YouTube vids on drone rescue. A bow and arrow with the lead line should get you 80 ft. I think the gu y used fishing line. Also someone else with a drone could fly a lead line up, drop a grappling hook. There were a couple of vids of drone - drone rescue, but Its tough in the trees.

Finally, keep going back (unless that hawk got a good look at you) I crashed my bird into a tree and it got stuck. I went back a couple of times, still stuck. 5 days later I went back with a buddy of mine to recon the area and map out a rescue plan. My buddy is really good at everything. When we arrived on scene my bird was on the ground.

Keep your spirits up. Tree climbing is not for the feint of heart, especially with a hawk circling.

Those spiked cleats are only for when the tree is dead. Or a telephone pole. Nowadays climbing arborists use gear that is essentially rock climbing gear.

If I was you I'd call the local tree service guys and see if they have a guy to do it. If that doesn't work I'd stalk a few tree service trucks or yards and find the climber. There's generally only one. Offer him 100 to 200 depending on your area. I'd almost guarantee he'll do it. I'd get on it because spring is busy season for these guys.

Oh I'd also put an ad up on Facebook marketplace or the selling groups looking for a climber. Shouldn't take long to find one. Good luck.

Took a very long time to find its exact location. Used my spark. Quite a challenge. I can now spot it with ease from the ground. No rain, so there is hope. Trying to stay positive. Happy flying
20190325_110137.jpg

Rent some tree spikes and a belt. You can climb half way up easy and then use a rope to sling it up and knock it down. Otherwise try a electrician union hall. Tons of those lineman or telco lineman have climbing gear. They would get that out of there in less than 15 minutes.

Reactions: jesswin
I’d try dropping a line from your spark. Connect line to your spark with a paper link that will tear if you get snagged.

Don’t spur a live pine!! I was tree climbing certified while working for the USFS, and every tree that is spurred usually ends up leaking sap and some eventually die. The best way to climb is to ladder (use a tree ladder that ties off to it), or use rope ascenders to get to the first branches, then free climb the branches using a safety line to get to the top. We’d rappel down afterwards.

OP- sounds dumb, but look up cat tree rescue service- a lot of people pay to get their cats out of trees, even though I never have seen a dead cat up in one ;)

Try here: http://www2.catinatreerescue.com/view/directory.cfm

Good luck, and be really careful if you try getting it yourself.

And please, if you try using poles - be sure there are NO electric wires anywhere nearby within the falling distance of the pole!! (A definate Darwin award).

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky