DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Delaware usa

I went to Bethany Beach (BB) a few days ago to fly my MP and a very nice bike cop approached me and asked me to stop flying. When I asked him why he stated that is was against some ordnance when I asked him for a copy of Ord he referred me to the Police office. Dropped by there and they gave me a copy of the local city rule about flying in BB. The ord is a total confusion of drone rules and an amalgamation of various FAA drone rules and very old references to initial FAA guidance. The Delaware state drone law (1334) is very specific with only 3 rules referencing drone flying in the state. This is the link to the Delaware Drone law... TITLE 11 - CHAPTER 5. SPECIFIC OFFENSES - Subchapter VII. Offenses Against Public Health, Order and Decency
If you decide to read the Delaware law pay specific attention to the final section (e) labeled Preemption - of 1334.

It is that preemption that I am going to use as a challenge to the BB ordinance in court if needed.

It may seem silly to some but this hobby can not be controlled by each town or township. The State has provided a clear concise set of rules and laws that govern drone usage and I intend to abide by them.

Basically I'm going to fly my drone across from the town council/police department next week and see what happens.

Retired Navy
~Ben

Reactions: bklynz00 and rickw
I have completed a week of daily contact with the Bethany Beach (BB) police department.

Day one......went to the BB police department and I told them I would be flying my drone in the BB park (across from the PD).
A very nice corporal talked to me and at first told me it was against the town ordnance. As rickw suggested I had a copy of the State Law re: drones with me
so I show him the law and the exceptions section which clearly stated that the State was the controlling resource for drones and forbids any town/community
from making any drone laws.

So off I went and flew my drone for a few hours without any contacts.

Day Two...... I stopped by the police department and again let the officer know that I was going to fly my drone again today.
This time the officer asked me if I wanted to talk to anyone about the town drone ordinance. I declined the offer and off I went
to fly my drone.

Day three..... stopped by to let them know that I was going over to the park again and the officer smiled and said have a good day.

Day four (today Friday the 13th) I stopped by to let them know that I was going to the beach to fly, a very nice officer informed me that they are only able to enforce the state law now. And sent me on my way.

He said if anyone has any concerns re drone flying in BB they can contact the police department.

Bethany Beach is a beautiful town with a main street that is the envy of many, the flowers are blooming right now and is an event that shouldn't be missed.

I guess being a pain in the butt pays off sometimes.
But again, the officers were very professional and kind and the CoP should be proud of how they conducted themselves.

Cheers Mates
~Ben

Fellow Flyers, I'm in Middletown and was glad to see this post go up. New to the forum, and have had my Mavic Pro Platinum since beginning of June. I'm gonna take the ball and run with possibly getting us all together (those of us who'd like to). As far as I'm aware, there is no official "club" in Delaware, but that doesn't mean we can't meet (or talk about starting one!).

IF YOU"RE INTERESTED: Please email me at [email protected]. Please include your full name, email address, and location in Delaware. I'd like to try to find a nice place "in the middle" that would work for most. Would probably start with meeting at a place for breakfast. I'd do it through posting to profiles here, but I think that might be a logistical nightmare.

Really hoping we can get something going on this; would love to meet you all and share experiences, etc.!

-Marc

Reactions: rickw
I have completed a week of daily contact with the Bethany Beach (BB) police department.

Day one......went to the BB police department and I told them I would be flying my drone in the BB park (across from the PD).
A very nice corporal talked to me and at first told me it was against the town ordnance. As rickw suggested I had a copy of the State Law re: drones with me
so I show him the law and the exceptions section which clearly stated that the State was the controlling resource for drones and forbids any town/community

Day Two...... I stopped by the police department and again let the officer know that I was going to fly my drone again today.
This time the officer asked me if I wanted to talk to anyone about the town drone ordinance. I declined the offer and off I went
to fly my drone.

Day three..... stopped by to let them know that I was going over to the park again and the officer smiled and said have a good day.

Day four (today Friday the 13th) I stopped by to let them know that I was going to the beach to fly, a very nice officer informed me that they are only able to enforce the state law now. And sent me on my way.

He said if anyone has any concerns re drone flying in BB they can contact the police department.

Bethany Beach is a beautiful town with a main street that is the envy of many, the flowers are blooming right now and is an event that shouldn't be missed.

But again, the officers were very professional and kind and the CoP should be proud of how they conducted themselves.

Cheers Mates
~Ben

Ben, thanks so much for relating this story. I had JUST read about the Bethany ordinance yesterday. Thanks so much for gently pushing in the right way, to get BB to change their minds on their ordinance. I'm now looking forward to flying there this summer. :)

Got one here.

Hey there, buddy. Welcome to the club. I'm located downstate, on the Indian River near the bay. Can't wait until the warm weather sticks. Makes flying in Delaware a lot more fun. Enjoy today. It's slipping back into the 30s and 40s on Sunday.

Take it easy. Talk with you later.
Hey CC, I live in Ellendale (Ellendull). I have a Mavic Pro and want to get together with other MP owners. I have been looking for a 'drone' club so to speak and found none. But then it occurred to me to start up a club. My name is Tom and I can be reached at 443-366-7546 or at [email protected].

to fly my drone.

Cheers Mates
~Ben

This is great. Going to BB next week from the 9/19-9/25. Where can I get my copy of the state law to have with me while I fly? Is there a link you can provide? We are visiting from NY. My mother in law live in Dagsboro & we tend to visit a couple of time through out the year

Just saw the link a couple of posts up.

Hello ... I’m in the Lewes/Rehoboth area .. love flying my drone down at the ocean. Have gotten some great videos.. I like to use Litchi Software and do waypoint flights. Here is a video I did at Rehoboth Beach. Drone travels up the beach and then turns and travels over the boardwalk. I’m using a Mavic Pro Platinum. Patrick

I’ve enclosed some screen grabs from the video as well as a link to the video itself.

Rehoboth Video

909E8C01-2118-4F5B-820B-6632D907DDAA.jpeg29F1C76A-C18E-4932-946B-CAC03D3ADB13.jpeg15A49157-2084-4EED-A291-69B84570C026.jpegDCCB93EA-3A66-47D2-81A5-5E3115097D9E.jpeg2CB61002-4857-4CF4-A397-81D6D238C006.jpeg8677C4F7-16A7-4EB5-A47B-D6F644C4C7CF.jpeg

Reactions: bklynz00
Hello, new to the group. Have the Platinum Pro and taking test on Monday. I live in Lewes and work in Georgetown. Question, I noticed on Sectional Charts that area NE of Georgetown is restricted airspace and includes Lewes, Ellenendale, Harbeson, so do you all get pre-approval? Or does the restricted space floor not include the 400’ allowed. I am mostly interested in artistic shots, and aerial shots for b-roll for video.

Attachments

• 3D80AA33-EDA0-40C7-BF06-608D259E60CF.png
    3D80AA33-EDA0-40C7-BF06-608D259E60CF.png
    8.6 MB · Views: 16
I’m new to flying but took the Fundamentals of Flight class from UD (very worthwhile). So I bought a Mavic 2 Pro and am waiting for it to arrive so I can practice what I learned in class. I’m in north WIlmington and looking for people to fly with and places to fly.

Hello from Milford. Flew RC planes and copters for years, wanted to try out drones. Started out with a spark and have moved up to a mavic 1.

Hey guys. I own an Autel EVO, but it looks like I'm the only one around the bottom of the 302 that does, so I came over here... I live in Lincoln and am in Milford everyday. Looking to get my 107 and transition over to commercial and do something I like for a change.

Welcome UnRanged... I'm another new guy here, so it's kinda a weak welcome. :) One of my favorite places to fly is Bennetts Pier road south of South Bowers. Wide open beach area.

Welcome UnRanged... I'm another new guy here, so it's kinda a weak welcome. :) One of my favorite places to fly is Bennetts Pier road south of South Bowers. Wide open beach area.

That's where I go to get my crabs in the summer. $ 80 a bushel for #1's straight off the dock.

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji