DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Descend: Normal vs Sport Mode

Coheavand

Reactions
Tested the 3 modes today - Tripod, Normal, and Sport.

In Sport mode, the drone didn't descend faster than when it was in Normal mode. Descend speed is noticeably slower in Tripod mode.

Not really a cause for concern, but does anyone know why this is the case?

From the manual: "Descent speed significantly increases in Sport mode. A minimum braking distance of 10 m is required in windless conditions."

Cheers.

Tested the 3 modes today - Tripod, Normal, and Sport.

In Sport mode, the drone didn't descend faster than when it was in Normal mode. Descend speed is noticeably slower in Tripod mode.

Not really a cause for concern, but does anyone know why this is the case?

From the manual: "Descent speed significantly increases in Sport mode. A minimum braking distance of 10 m is required in windless conditions."

Cheers.
Could just be a poor Chinglish translation, where they meant to say braking speed, rather than descent speed, as the maximum descent speed is designed to avoid vortex ring effect, and that wouldn't change with mode, but would be deliberately slower in Tripod mode.

It appears the Sport descent speed can be increased to 5m/s but only on a steep glide path, where no vortex ring state can take place.

F6511383-1411-4ECF-8CA6-D83D415DD715.jpeg

Last edited:
Could just be a poor Chinglish translation, where they meant to say braking speed, rather than descent speed, as the maximum descent speed is designed to avoid vortex ring effect, and that wouldn't change with mode, but would be deliberately slower in Tripod mode.

It appears the Sport descent speed can be increased to 5m/s but only on a steep glide path, where no vortex ring state can take place.

View attachment 101735

Thanks for that. I couldn't find that info in the manual.

Steep glide path vs sharp descent - I would assume you mean moving while descending, rather than just descending?

Thanks.

OK, I checked out the Chinese version of the manual ( version 1.0, released in April 2020 ). It says that the max descending speed is 3 m/s in sport mode and "normal" mode. Tripod mode is not mentioned for this parameter although it's mentioned for the max horizontal speed :

1589800879075.png

So the question is how to put it into a "sharp descent"
Since it is listed separately from the straight descent in Sport mode, I presume forward travel in Sport and descending at the same time, so full down left stick and full forward right stick simultaneously, in a fast glide path descent. Certainly, some level of forward travel to keep it out of the propwash that creates the vortex ring state.

Reactions: Coheavand
Since it is listed separately from the straight descent in Sport mode, I presume forward travel in Sport and descending at the same time, so full down left stick and full forward right stick simultaneously, in a fast glide path descent. Certainly, some level of forward travel to keep it out of the propwash that creates the vortex ring state.
Just tested forward travel in Sport while descending. Descend speed is indeed faster.

Thanks all :)

OK, I checked out the Chinese version of the manual ( version 1.0, released in April 2020 ). It says that the max descending speed is 3 m/s in sport mode and "normal" mode. Tripod mode is not mentioned for this parameter although it's mentioned for the max horizontal speed :

View attachment 101736
What's the 5 m/s in the next section for?

Just tested forward travel in Sport while descending. Descend speed is indeed faster.

Thanks all :)
Yes, faster with forward travel. I also fly an Mavic Air, and was pleasantly surprised by the increase in speed. Enjjoy your flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King