DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DGI Goggles vs Epson Moverio BT-300

You sure about the Rochester Optical thing? Their RX insert didn't fix my IPD issue at all. In fact I can get closer to fixing it myself by bending the original nose gear. If this is the case then I'll call them and see if they can try again or refund my money.
I know they take customer satisfaction very seriously. $199 is not a small amount. You should make it worth it.

@Turnem, I just talked to Rochester Optical since my lenses are taking longer than expected. They said they ran into an issue on the IPD adjustment in their lenses, and had to make corrections for it. That is why my lenses are taking a while. They said that they have the issue fixed, and just need to make the same adjustment as for bifocals (since that is what I am getting).

@Turnem, I just talked to Rochester Optical since my lenses are taking longer than expected. They said they ran into an issue on the IPD adjustment in their lenses, and had to make corrections for it. That is why my lenses are taking a while. They said that they have the issue fixed, and just need to make the same adjustment as for bifocals (since that is what I am getting).
Just getting ready to order mine... question how did you decide on the bifocals?

Good to know. Maybe mine got messed up. I'll call them.

Thanks for chiming in.

Just getting ready to order mine... question how did you decide on the bifocals?
I wear progressive lenses on my regular glasses. Decided to forgo the Solitaire for bifocals. The bifocals will be more beneficial for being able to read my phone if I get a text, or anything else I may need to read without having to take the Moverio's off and putting my glasses on.

a6b5d0d44b0a34c251ffbde38a4e91a8.jpg

G'head, ask me a question about the future.

You look like Robocop

Reactions: mathis1972
I received my BT-300s yesterday. Shipping from B&H Photo took less than a day. Thankfully, the FPV edition still includes the Rochester shades, in addition to the two Epson ones. Initial charge took about 2 hours, then I fired them up, connected to wifi, and started the firmware upgrade. That took another hour. I had a little problem with my bluetooth keyboard that kept disconnecting. After the upgrade, I took the time to get the goggles positioned properly on my head. I had to use the included rubber inserts for the arms to make them feel secure and level. Once adjusted, you hardly know they are there.

My initial impression with the view is good. FOV is almost exactly equal to my 50 inch TV at 10 feet. I was hoping it would be a bit bigger but it's not bad. Color and clarity were very good, but I'm still experimenting with brightness and shades to get them ideal. Even though I wear prescription glasses for mainly astigmatism, I have a fairly in focus view without my glasses. I can read all text well enough. The goggles with my glasses give an excellent view, so I still may opt for the Rochester Rx inserts. Apparently my IPD is pretty close to the default of the BT-300, so I don't see any edge blurring, that I can't fix with adjusting the nose piece side to side.

After removing the DJI GO app, I downloaded and installed DJI GO4 and the DJI Ultimate Flight from the Epson store. Ultimate Flight looks like a good alternative to GO. No chance to fly yet as it's been raining here.

That's it for now. I'm off to get the Google stuff working. More later.

Reactions: Turnerm
I did the Google Play updates and my DJI GO4 maps are good. The Ultimate Flight app will not work however, because it says I need to update Play store. Maybe I need the newest version. I will try that. You can also get GO4 to use google maps with this method Using Google Maps on DJI Go 4 (Android Non-rooted). Unfortunately without root, the Here service will be back if you restart GO.

I did the Google Play updates and my DJI GO4 maps are good. The Ultimate Flight app will not work however, because it says I need to update Play store. Maybe I need the newest version. I will try that. You can also get GO4 to use google maps with this method Using Google Maps on DJI Go 4 (Android Non-rooted). Unfortunately without root, the Here service will be back if you restart GO.
What's google play ? I side loaded DJI Go 4 apk and have the map. Graphics aren't good on map but it's there.

What's google play ? I side loaded DJI Go 4 apk and have the map. Graphics aren't good on map but it's there.
The Google Play services and Play store hack, described in the other big Moverio thread here. Basically this gives you access to google maps. The Here maps in GO4 are very bad and out of date compared to google maps.

For the Ultimate Flight app, I loaded up the most recent Play Services apk and now the app uses google maps for the map window, and it allows you to plan waypoint missions by selecting waypoints on the map. I think I will be using the Ultimate Flight app now. It has a lot more functionality then GO4.

More good news - I installed the Rochester Solitaire Ace and now the BT300 is a true fpv goggle. Another cool thing - with the blackout shade installed on the Solitaire and turning on the BTs video camera, I was walking around with just the camera view.

Flew first flights with the Moverios. Bright sun, no clouds. These things are awesome. I could see so much more detail that I felt confident enough to exceed my previous distance record and to fly over water as well. And I don't mean just the video, but all of the other instruments (maps, radar, heading, altitude, speed, etc.) were so much more noticeable. The touchscreen was a bit clunky to use and will take more practice getting used to it.

I flew most of the time with the blackout shade on the Solitaire Ace. When I needed to look at the drone, I could just remove the magnetic shade quickly. I think I will order the sun shades too, but I really like flying completely blacked out. It was very hot also, so the foam face cushion got a little sweaty, but no fogging up. I did see a little pixelation and I noticed a very slight lag at times, but nothing bothersome.

I can't imagine that I will ever fly with just a phone or tablet again.

Reactions: bonzo and Turnerm
Flew first flights with the Moverios. Bright sun, no clouds. These things are awesome. I could see so much more detail that I felt confident enough to exceed my previous distance record and to fly over water as well. And I don't mean just the video, but all of the other instruments (maps, radar, heading, altitude, speed, etc.) were so much more noticeable. The touchscreen was a bit clunky to use and will take more practice getting used to it.

I flew most of the time with the blackout shade on the Solitaire Ace. When I needed to look at the drone, I could just remove the magnetic shade quickly. I think I will order the sun shades too, but I really like flying completely blacked out. It was very hot also, so the foam face cushion got a little sweaty, but no fogging up. I did see a little pixelation and I noticed a very slight lag at times, but nothing bothersome.

I can't imagine that I will ever fly with just a phone or tablet again.
Good to hear! Glad they are working for you. I may also do the Solitaire Ace thing as well. But... I do love how the stock BT-300's are very narrow so that I can easily glance above or below the glasses to see what's going on around me.

I'm still going to keep my iPad Mini 4 in my hardcase with my other gear for those times that the conditions suit it and I need/want to get up in the air very quickly. I do find that the Moverios take a little more setup time but not by a lot.

I may also do the Solitaire Ace thing as well. But... I do love how the stock BT-300's are very narrow so that I can easily glance above or below the glasses to see what's going on around me.
I bought the Solitaire Ace (and a sun-shade), and found it difficult to install correctly.. I'm perfectly happy flying the BT-300's and being able to see my surroundings and the drone. I haven't flown with the Solitaire Ace yet, but frankly I'm not sure if I will use it much.

Last edited:
So when using any goggles with the mavic, do you still need to look at your phone (connected to the RC), or is everything laid out in the googles?

So when using any goggles with the mavic, do you still need to look at your phone (connected to the RC), or is everything laid out in the googles?
You are seeing the full GO4 app through the glasses. You interact with this screen via a touchpad that the glasses are connected to.

So the glasses connect to the touchpad and the touchpad connects to the controller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder