DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did I Buy A Dinosaur....? Ipad Mini 4

Crow Horse

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I'm new to this arena and I have a Mavic Air that hasn't got off the ground yet. I'm getting all my ducks in a row (working on my 107) before I take to the air. I purchased a used Ipad Mini 4 to use while flying but I'm reading that there might be some issues with using it. Is there anything I can do to use it and make it safe and reliable? Did I buy a dinosaur?

Reactions: BethanyFerrell
Hi I have been using iPad mini 4 for the last few year with Mavic Pro Platinum edition without any issues. It is a great in many ways but has its limitations especially when it comes to screen brightness. Since you are new to the game, just play attention to the surroundings and take it slow.

BTW, recently sold my Platinum and upgraded to M3 and waiting of iPad 6 mini!

Enjoy the new drone and fly safe!

Thanks! That makes me feel more confident and relieved in my choice of Ipads Mini's. I have a hood so that might help the screen brightness issue. Good luck with the Mini 6!

Welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of information. Ask questions, read and participate. You do not need the 107 to fly. You can fly under a "trust" license. It's free to take. Check out Pilot Institute for it.

Have fun and fly safe.

I'm currently enrolled in Pilot Institute's 107 course. It's an awesome course! I'm almost 1/2 way through it as of now and I do have the TRUST certificate. As anxious as I am to get int he air, I want to learn as much as I can before I do. I'm also trying to identify potential pitfalls and obstacles before I actually experience them and work towards avoiding such. Crisis prevention is much better (and cheaper) than crisis management.

I'm having a blast just in the learning process. I can't imagine what it'll be like when I actually fly......

I'm currently enrolled in Pilot Institute's 107 course. It's an awesome course! I'm almost 1/2 way through it as of now and I do have the TRUST certificate. As anxious as I am to get int he air, I want to learn as much as I can before I do. I'm also trying to identify potential pitfalls and obstacles before I actually experience them and work towards avoiding such. Crisis prevention is much better (and cheaper) than crisis management.

I'm having a blast just in the learning process. I can't imagine what it'll be like when I actually fly......
You're doing a lot of things right. Unlike you I did not choose to go with a commercial tutorial program. But what I found extremely helpful for me, and would recommend to anyone, even in a paid-for program, is to take every practice test you can find as you study. Every time I took a pre-test I noted where I went wrong and focused on those areas. I took my first pre-test even before studying to get an idea of what my base knowledge was. In any event I'm sure you'll do fine. Good luck.

PS... BTW... On the pre tests you'll see a lot of the same questions with the same answers. The Part 107 test has some quirky questions where all the multiple choices seem logical but they are looking for one specific answer. They will be revealed in the pre-tests if you take enough of them.

Getting back to the question of iPad Mini 4 and Mavic Air...
If you're using the GO 4 app with the original Mavic Air, then you should be OK. On the other hand, if you meant to say the Mavic Air 2, then this uses the Fly app and there are known issues with it namely it being under powered for the job.

A search of this forum for Mini 4 and the Fly app returned several posts on this:

You're doing a lot of things right. Unlike you I did not choose to go with a commercial tutorial program. But what I found extremely helpful for me, and would recommend to anyone, even in a paid-for program, is to take every practice test you can find as you study. Every time I took a pre-test I noted where I went wrong and focused on those areas. I took my first pre-test even before studying to get an idea of what my base knowledge was. In any event I'm sure you'll do fine. Good luck.

PS... BTW... On the pre tests you'll see a lot of the same questions with the same answers. The Part 107 test has some quirky questions where all the multiple choices seem logical but they are looking for one specific answer. They will be revealed in the pre-tests if you take enough of them.
Thanks for the tips! I really appreciate it. The PI's course has chapter quizes and practice tests. I'm really impressed about how comprehensive it is and their teaching methods. I especially like that the course isn't designed just to pass the 107 exam. It's designed to give you a broad knowledge base and goes beyond what the 107 exam requires. Knowledge is power, the power to make intelligent and well informed decisions.

If you're using the GO 4 app with the original Mavic Air, then you should be OK. On the other hand, if you meant to say the Mavic Air 2, then this uses the Fly app and there are known issues with it namely it being under powered for the job.

A search of this forum for Mini 4 and the Fly app returned several posts on this:
Yes, I have a Mavic Air (first generation), From what you're saying, I should be good to go.

Reactions: Pappy
I'm new to this arena and I have a Mavic Air that hasn't got off the ground yet. I'm getting all my ducks in a row (working on my 107) before I take to the air. I purchased a used Ipad Mini 4 to use while flying but I'm reading that there might be some issues with using it. Is there anything I can do to use it and make it safe and reliable? Did I buy a dinosaur?
You should be able to use it, I sold a I pad Mini 2 to one of my good friends and it works perfect.
Down load the D.J.I. GO APP From app store, don't down load ( D.J.I. GO FLY ) APP ! it won't work !!!!
Then go to YOUR ! Selected Aircraft Model.
If the APP is not working Delete the APP and do it again !!
( DON'T USE THE D.J.I. FLY APP !!!!! ) be careful don't use the D.J.I. FLY YOU WANT THE DJI GO Fly
It should work!
facilityman

Reactions: Chris4koi
I have a mavic air and a pro platinum. Yes they are becoming dinosaurs but!!! Dji drones are very good drones so the quality is not a kid play toy drone. I still like the mavic air. Some of what I've learned. Be smooth and consistent with the Batteries. Think Batteries expand when charged and left to sit. Getting GPS with the air is work. Each place and drone is different. I always fly with GPS, no atti modes to erratic. Most crashes below 100ft and if it loses signal even for a second rth. Don't have to land but bring the drone back some. Use uav forecast app or drone buddy and common sense. KP matters. With the air if I can't get GPS I restart the drone, two sticks back and in; starting the props, calibrate the compass and/or lift off 3ft in visual mode. Land when I get GPS then take off in GPS mode. Hope this helps.

I guess I wasn't very clear with my question BUT you added some very helpful tips for flying my Air. I recognize that the Air isn't the latest and greatest but I'm hopeful that it will provide the results I'm looking for. Thanks again for your flying tips!

I have a mavic air and a pro platinum. Yes they are becoming dinosaurs but!!! Dji drones are very good drones so the quality is not a kid play toy drone. I still like the mavic air. Some of what I've learned. Be smooth and consistent with the Batteries. Think Batteries expand when charged and left to sit. Getting GPS with the air is work. Each place and drone is different. I always fly with GPS, no atti modes to erratic. Most crashes below 100ft and if it loses signal even for a second rth. Don't have to land but bring the drone back some. Use uav forecast app or drone buddy and common sense. KP matters. With the air if I can't get GPS I restart the drone, two sticks back and in; starting the props, calibrate the compass and/or lift off 3ft in visual mode. Land when I get GPS then take off in GPS mode. Hope this helps.

I use a Mini 3 32gb with my M2Z. Other than the brightness, it works flawlessly. Enjoy!!

Still use a mini 4 with GO 4 but mini 5 with newer mavics with FLY app. Screen sun shield, hat, and dark shirt also helpful to view in sun. Sometimes fly from inside vehicle. Works…enjoy

Reactions: Crow Horse
I have the same 'dinosaur' and have had a great time with it. Take every chance you can to fly. You are to be commended that you are studying first, but you will find that no matter how many times you read something, it will not work just like you expect it to. Practice, practice, practice. Even the Mavic Air has a lot of possibilities it will take some time to unlock. Enjoy it. Oh, and get some decent photo editing software. Most photos can be tweaked a bit and significantly improved.

I agree about the need for practicing. I did a lot of flying first in my backyard to get good with the controls. But flying with the drone far away when you can’t really see it is a different beast. I found it important to get a feel for the distance of objects when you see them on the screen. And don’t confuse the “land” button with the “home” button. I once pressed the “land” button accidentally while in a deep canyon and then lost connection. Thank god the drone decided on its own to fly home instead of landing. Otherwise this would have been a loss

Just be sure it is a cellular version so you can see the GPS maps real time. I use an Ipad Mini 6 which solved a lot of the issues that the 4 and 5 had but my 5 worked fine

I had the same issue with the FLY app. Had to upgrade to an iPad Mini 5 from a Mini 4. It solved the issue of not enough processing power to properly run the Fly app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78