DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did something stupid -- got away with it!

Raptorman

Reactions
So I did my first flights a couple nights ago and two more yesterday so I planned to use two batteries tonight so I charged them using the strip for the first time. One of the batteries was nearly charged so it topped of first and then the second battery, which was at about 25%, charged up next. So I put my batteries in the bag and went out to fly.

The first flight was fine and lasted about 23 minutes and then ... the screw up. I landed and replaced the battery with what I thought was the other charged battery and took off getting about 1km away when the low battery warning came on -- WTF. So, I quickly turn around and land after a total flight of just about 4 minutes. Turns out the battery I put in was the third battery that had been used yesterday and the flight began with less than 40% charge. I think I was just under 20% when I landed. I must be more careful with batteries in the future...

Brian

Easy fix, just make sure all batteries are fully charged before going out, you never know when you need another flight.

I make sure the RC and the viewing device are also all fully charged

its easy to make mistakes in the excitement of the moment ,but after you have flown many times you will have formulated a preflight checklist that you will do automatically such as battery level ,compass heading, signal strength ect when you look at the app screen its all there glad your flight had a happy ending

Always check your batts in the app after you power on and gps look around in there real quick it will save you one day you be so lucky..

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I used a marker to number my batteries and have the developed the habit of using them in serie. (1) is replaced by (2), by (3) and so on. Ensuring the batteries are used more or less equal.

Easy fix, just make sure all batteries are fully charged before going out, you never know when you need another flight.

I make sure the RC and the viewing device are also all fully charged

Is there any downside to recharging the RC before every flight? Mine is typically at between 60 and 70% charged after flying.

Is there any downside to recharging the RC before every flight? Mine is typically at between 60 and 70% charged after flying.

you should always start the days flying with all your batteries fully charged that way you have eliminated the chances of an issue happening because you suddenly find that you RC has lost contact because the battery is flat or your device shuts off because of the same reason those scenarios can and do happen and increase the chances of a lost drone if you only have the one battery then of course you could fly a couple of times between charges ,if you were flying close to home,but i am sure that there are not many flyers that only have the one battery once they get the thrill of flying

As stated above - simple way to help avoid confusion

Attachments

• IMG_20200611_101450[1].jpg
    IMG_20200611_101450[1].jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 58

I haven't noticed any issues, I only fully charge on flying days

I used a marker to number my batteries and have the developed the habit of using them in serie. (1) is replaced by (2), by (3) and so on. Ensuring the batteries are used more or less equal.

I have labels on all my batteries and try to cycle them for even usage. When I packed the bag to go I though I had just the two charged batteries and didn't realize I also had the discharged one from the day before.

I do check on the app, but the small screen makes seeing small detail hard.

Oh, one more thing ...

I was out near the Great Salt Lake and the bugs were insane which had me rushing things a bit. Generally, Utah is not nearly as bad for bugs as it was growing up in upstate NY given the fact that its a desert, but near the GSL the bugs, this time of year and particularly near sunset, can be insane. There were a crap ton on very hungry mosquito's but there were other biting bugs just as bad.

Brian

I have labels on all my batteries and try to cycle them for even usage. When I packed the bag to go I though I had just the two charged batteries and didn't realize I also had the discharged one from the day before.

I do check on the app, but the small screen makes seeing small detail hard.

Oh, one more thing ...

I was out near the Great Salt Lake and the bugs were insane which had me rushing things a bit. Generally, Utah is not nearly as bad for bugs as it was growing up in upstate NY given the fact that its a desert, but near the GSL the bugs, this time of year and particularly near sunset, can be insane. There were a crap ton on very hungry mosquito's but there were other biting bugs just as bad.

Brian

DEET

I do this as well, and I put charged batteries in the MA combo bag with the contacts facing up, then after flying, I put the discharged battery back in the bag with the contacts facing down.
There is always the possibility of a mistake, but it helps.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev