DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Direction Indicator Issue

Bulldog44

Reactions
Just took my new Air 2 out for test flight. Directional indicator is way off. Stays at lower right when drone is straight in front of me. Ive tried everything. Recalibrated compass and IMU. Does it on my Ipad mini and Iphone XR. Any fix for this? Direction indicator does work on map but I rarely open map in app and need this to work correctly. Hopefully I dont have to send this back.

the malfunctioning of that indicator is usually caused by incorrect compass in the phone, not in the drone. Sometimes the remote itself interferes with the phone's compass. Open google maps or something similar on your phone and check if the compass is correctly indicating the way you're facing, i think it won't. If that's the case, you need to calibrate the compass *after* installing it in the remote.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I use an ipad mini4 and have been for years with Go4 App and MP1 and never any issues. Ipad mini has no compass app. No clue what else to do. I did install a compass app on the ipad and it was accurate with the direction I was facing when I opened it. Just opened google maps and compass is spot on

I use an ipad mini4 and have been for years with Go4 App and MP1 and never any issues. Ipad mini has no compass app. No clue what else to do. I did install a compass app on the ipad and it was accurate with the direction I was facing when I opened it. Just opened google maps and compass is spot on

There are a few issues that arise with mobile device compass data displaying in the DJI apps. Magnetic interference from the stick modules is one, but not the primary problem that I've found with the Fly app. Part of the problem appears to be an issue with the app or phone understanding the active orientation of the phone. The simplest solution that I have found is to attach the phone to the RC, power up the RC, and then open the compass app on the phone. It likely won't be correct, and requires waving around/calibrating etc. before it is correct. After that you can close the compass app, open the Fly app, and then everything should be correct.

Lately I have just took my pad as it isn’t attached to my RC being I fly from my truck and use a 4 foot cord and hold just the RC while the pad is sitting on my steering wheel and do
a figure 8 with the pad and my compass gets right.

Are you using a compass app when you do this and leave app running? or just the gofly app in camera view when you do the figure 8?

Last edited:
dirkclod: Sorry, don't follow that explanation about the direction indicator, setting the compass right.

dirkclod: Sorry, don't follow that explanation about the direction indicator, setting the compass right.
I take my pad which isn’t attached to the RC as I use a 4’cord
and hold my pad flat and make a figure 8 motion with it.
Sounds strange but read it in here somewhere and it makes
my compass right.
Like it will be showing North to the West but after I do that
it’s back right. I guess I’m just calibrating the pad but makes it right in the app.
How I’m set up.
B5ABE128-5666-4BAD-B0E1-40068C278828.jpeg

I have the same issue with my SAMSUNG TAB A, I've been told it's because it does not have an internal compass and often I have no indicator instead of what you described showing the drone behind me when it's in front of me, I plug my phone in and have no issues so I've decided it has to do with not having an internal compass and I haven't seen where an app will fix that in my research for both the MA2 and the mini.

I take my pad which isn’t attached to the RC as I use a 4’cord
and hold my pad flat and make a figure 8 motion with it.
Sounds strange but read it in here somewhere and it makes
my compass right.
Like it will be showing North to the West but after I do that
it’s back right. I guess I’m just calibrating the pad but makes it right in the app.
How I’m set up.
View attachment 104361
I tried this several times today. did not work for my ipad mini.

I tried this several times today. did not work for my ipad mini.
Oh well, works for me. Maybe it’s the way I’m set up I dono.?‍♂️

Oh well, works for me. Maybe it’s the way I’m set up I dono.?‍♂️
I had only seen it off on occasions since I started flying from inside my truck and figured that was it. Tryed that and north went back to north. And everything was normal then.

Just took my new Air 2 out for test flight. Directional indicator is way off. Stays at lower right when drone is straight in front of me. Ive tried everything. Recalibrated compass and IMU. Does it on my Ipad mini and Iphone XR. Any fix for this? Direction indicator does work on map but I rarely open map in app and need this to work correctly. Hopefully I dont have to send this back.
I also have been having the same issues. I tried calibrating my compass on my I phone and still have the same issues. I have also noticed the direction indicator turns red with a message saying check check GPS and calibrate phone compass. I am not sure what is causing this ? anyone else seeing this message, I am seriously thinking about returning the mavic because of this issue.

There are a few issues that arise with mobile device compass data displaying in the DJI apps. Magnetic interference from the stick modules is one, but not the primary problem that I've found with the Fly app. Part of the problem appears to be an issue with the app or phone understanding the active orientation of the phone. The simplest solution that I have found is to attach the phone to the RC, power up the RC, and then open the compass app on the phone. It likely won't be correct, and requires waving around/calibrating etc. before it is correct. After that you can close the compass app, open the Fly app, and then everything should be correct.
I am just curious why you are advising "to attach the phone to the RC and power up the RC, and then open compass app on the phone, and then a calibration wave." Why not just leave the drone and the RC off! Get out a pocket compass, face North, turn on the Fly app, and the directional indicator should show that the nose of the pilot is facing North. If the indicator shows the pilot is facing North, then the compass in the mobile device is working normally. This is a first-step in trying to figure out if the compass in the mobile device is working normally , and, the pilot has a correct understanding of how to read that compass in the app!

Reactions: SkyeHigh
Ive tried everything - i gave up. Even does it with my mini 5 i just got. was using mini4. just have to use small map with indicator on bottom left

I am just curious why you are advising "to attach the phone to the RC and power up the RC, and then open compass app on the phone, and then a calibration wave." Why not just leave the drone and the RC off! Get out a pocket compass, face North, turn on the Fly app, and the directional indicator should show that the nose of the pilot is facing North. If the indicator shows the pilot is facing North, then the compass in the mobile device is working normally. This is a first-step in trying to figure out if the compass in the mobile device is working normally , and, the pilot has a correct understanding of how to read that compass in the app!

I'm suggesting it because it works, and because the compass data from the mobile device appear to be affected by an active connection to the RC. In other words it will display correctly when not connected to the RC, but then change when connected. Having the equipment connected and powered up removes that possibility.

Not sure if this helps, or if everyone has already done this -- Make sure you have all the privacy settings correct. Location services need to be on. Let Compass Calibration have permission to location services all the time. Make sure the DJI app has permission to use location services.

Finally if you are using an ipad without cellular service, you won't have GPS. You may get enough from location services with wifi and bluetooth on if it can pick up some wifi signals to know where you are. Also make sure you aren't using an ipad case with a sleep/wake cover as those have magnets that might throw the compass off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev