DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Direction Indicator Issue

I'm suggesting it because it works, and because the compass data from the mobile device appear to be affected by an active connection to the RC. In other words it will display correctly when not connected to the RC, but then change when connected. Having the equipment connected and powered up removes that possibility.
That is very interesting! I think you are saying that connection to the RC is having an adverse impact on the compass in the mobile device. Further, that adverse impact can be mitigated by a calibrating the compass in the mobile device while connected to the RC. Nevertheless, do you use a pocket compass as a very first step to verify that your Fly app is accurately reporting North, even before you turn on the RC or AC?

I had this with my Air 2 on it's first outing. I opened the map and clicked on the compass icon. It automatically set itself to North, all good now.

I had this with my Air 2 on it's first outing. I opened the map and clicked on the compass icon. It automatically set itself to North, all good now.
I did the same thing and thought all was good for about 30 seconds then the Icon turned red again about 30 feet away.

I am very confused. And I don't want to cause confusion or derail this thread, but if a tablet doesn't have a compass, Tab A 8 inch, there is no way to have the compass indicator work right? I kinda read here that if you have a compass app that it can work, but I might have misunderstood that. I know devices with a GPS and no compass can work with some compass apps if movement of the device is involved, but I don't see how it would work stationary. Again maybe I read wrong.

I am very confused. And I don't want to cause confusion or derail this thread, but if a tablet doesn't have a compass, Tab A 8 inch, there is no way to have the compass indicator work right? I kinda read here that if you have a compass app that it can work, but I might have misunderstood that. I know devices with a GPS and no compass can work with some compass apps if movement of the device is involved, but I don't see how it would work stationary. Again maybe I read wrong.

That's not quite correct. For any of this to work requires a compass in the mobile device, and the relative position of RC and AC requires GPS in the mobile device. GPS doesn't substitute for a compass because even if it can determine direction of travel it doesn't know orientation without a compass. That said, I'm not aware of any mobile devices that don't have a built-in compass, and certainly not devices with GPS but no compass.

That's not quite correct. For any of this to work requires a compass in the mobile device, and the relative position of RC and AC requires GPS in the mobile device. GPS doesn't substitute for a compass because even if it can determine direction of travel it doesn't know orientation without a compass. That said, I'm not aware of any mobile devices that don't have a built-in compass, and certainly not devices with GPS but no compass.

A fewof the inexpensive WIFI Samsungs right now have GPS but not compass from my understanding, I know my Tab A 8 inch has GPS but no compass.

A fewof the inexpensive WIFI Samsungs right now have GPS but not compass from my understanding, I know my Tab A 8 inch has GPS but no compass.

Well that's a strange design choice, but fair enough. Having bought and tested several over the years, when they work they are mostly fine, but I would never recommend an Android device for use with DJI equipment due to unpredictable behavior in comparison to iOS. And having examined hundreds of flight logs from problem flights, it's clear that Android devices represent a disproportionately high fraction of the cases where the mobile device caused the problem. There are certainly members of this forum who have had trouble-free experiences with them though. It's just not consistent.

Reactions: SkyeHigh
Just don"t understand why my LG G7 with cellular data, compass works perfectly but my LG G6 with with no cellular data and same settings doesn't.

Cellular data will not help the compass, but it might help GPS get a quicker fix. Android's high accuracy mode uses wifi and cellular data to help determine location and speed up GPS acquisition process. The GPS fix should be the most accurate, but may take a small bit to aquire Check out Google Maps whenever you have issue and see if it has an accurate fix of where you are and direction you are headed. Otherwise, makes sure the setting really are the same (check the accuracy of Location Services, make sure the apps have access, calibrate the compass, etc)

Plenty of devices work without cellular data, so it is definitely not a requirement.

Cellular data will not help the compass, but it might help GPS get a quicker fix. Android's high accuracy mode uses wifi and cellular data to help determine location and speed up GPS aquistion process. The GPS fix should be the most accurate, but may take a small bit to aquire Check out Google Maps whenever you have issue and see if it has an accurate fix of where you are and direction you are headed. Otherwise, makes sure the setting really are the same (check the accuracy of Location Services, make sure the apps have access, calibrate the compass, etc)

Plenty of devices work without cellular data, so it is not a requirement.
Have tried all of this many times. The LG G6 without cellular data stays white for about 30 seconds then goes red. My LG G7 with cellular data stays white at all times. Might be a hardware issue with the G6.

Just don"t understand why my LG G7 with cellular data, compass works perfectly but my LG G6 with with no cellular data and same settings doesn't.

Does the LG G6 have GPS? This function won't work if the position of the controller is unknown.

Just last night I calibrated the compass on the LG G6, Brought up the Google maps to verify that the gps was working, fired everything up and the compass icon was white as it should be when working. lifted off and 30 feet away the icon turned red. Can't figure it out. I can use my LG G7 but it is my phone. Would like to use the G6 as a standalone Fly display.

Just last night I calibrated the compass on the LG G6, Brought up the Google maps to verify that the gps was working, fired everything up and the compass icon was white as it should be when working. lifted off and 30 feet away the icon turned red. Can't figure it out. I can use my LG G7 but it is my phone. Would like to use the G6 as a standalone Fly display.

Are you sure that the position is really being reported by GPS, rather than wifi/cellular triangulation? There do seem to be rather a lot of reports of GPS problems with that phone.

Are you sure that the position is really being reported by GPS, rather than wifi/cellular triangulation? There do seem to be rather a lot of reports of GPS problems with that phone.
No, not sure. Think I will just use my G7. It works perfectly, unless if someone can tell me a android tablet that works perfectly.

No, not sure. Think I will just use my G7. It works perfectly, unless if someone can tell me a android tablet that works perfectly.

I suggest downloading one of the GPS apps that will report actual GPS data and status - just to check.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure