DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disabling smart features...

xman1

Reactions
I am just kind of curios if I am the only one that has disabled the smart features of this drone, such as obstacle avoidance? I got tired of this thing braking every time it saw the sun. It is a chronic problem, not to mention this would prevent the drone from smart return to home if it happened to be returning into the sun.

Same here. They need to put ultrasonic sensors on the front to avoid false OA alarms. The magic hours after sunrise and before sunset best for photography mean that the alarms are happening annoyingly often, so I just disable the whole OA.

I always fly with all smart features turned on EXCEPT for Landing Protection, since I fly low over water a lot and I don't want it to get confused and try to take a bath.

I leave the Obstacle Avoidance on normally, but if I'm flying at a time of day or place where it keeps stopping unnecessarily, I just flip over and turn OA off after about the second time.

I noticed with the last 4.0000 update that my OA was getting more sensitive. It didn't take much for the thing to go into a full brake, so I kept it turned off most of the time, which didn't stop the annoying buzzer. Now that I have rolled back to .700 it has gotten better, but I still keep it turned off. Quite honestly, it doesn't really do you any good except during RTH. Since the forward OA sees the same thing you basically see in your camera(unless you are looking directly down), you should be able to stop before hitting something if you are paying attention.

While on the subject of disabling smart features, I had read somewhere that the drone will only travel at 10mph when using one of the intelligent flight modes with smart features (obstacle avoidance) turned on. I was trying to follow a car and the drone was way to slow (probably 10 mph). Is this true and if so, does it apply to all intelligent modes when smart features are enabled.? Or am I completely doing something wrong?

Yup. I don't use any of the smart features save for occasionally Tripod Mode. Fro what I've seem on this forum, collision avoidance causes people to think they don't have to worry about obstacles, and subsequently crash. Aside from which those sensors are forward and down only, more of the accidents happen on climbing under overhangs -- ledges, tree branches, etc, and also backing into things.

There's no substitution for plain old stick skills, gotten through lots of practice. DJI advertises that this thing practically flies itself, but those that believe that will more often be the ones letting it "fly itself" into a stationary object

...DJI advertises that this thing practically flies itself, but those that believe that will more often be the ones letting it "fly itself" into a stationary object

How else are you going to sell more drones when you have released such a good product as this one? :D

While on the subject of disabling smart features, I had read somewhere that the drone will only travel at 10mph when using one of the intelligent flight modes with smart features (obstacle avoidance) turned on. I was trying to follow a car and the drone was way to slow (probably 10 mph). Is this true and if so, does it apply to all intelligent modes when smart features are enabled.? Or am I completely doing something wrong?
If I'm not mistaken, the max speed with OA turned on is 22mph and something like 36mph with it off (and not in Sport mode).

Reactions: alexc
These sensors are great for a beginner but as you gain more experience they just get in your way and cause problems! I have all of my sensors turned off and I have never had the need for them since.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980