DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disabling the 120m on the Mini 4.

astroprojector

Reactions
Hi There.

I am a bit confused regarding the 120m rule that come into effect next year in EU.

I reside in US and bought a the Mini 4 Pro in US. The rule does not apply in US and I can fly up to 1600ft (where permitted). What happen if I want to take the drone on vacation in EU next year. Does the drone will automatically be limited to 120m?

If that the case, I know that there is a way to request to remove the limitation. However, after installing the latest firmware, I could not find that option (I currently have 1.00.0210 Aircraft Firmware and 2.00 RC Firmware). I really do not care about "C0" label since I fly Mini 4 Pro with the Plus batteries and it automatically increases the weight to more than 250g.

Reactions: Dronepilot Marc
I really do not care about "C0" label since I fly Mini 4 Pro with the Plus batteries and it automatically increases the weight to more than 250g.

Are you aware of the hoops you're going to have to jump through to fly that >250g drone in the EU?

Removing the 120m hard limit is childsplay by comparison.

Reactions: Cubatobaco
You also need the latest Fly app version, under the height menu inside the Fly app it should appear "request higher altitude limit".

If you remove the C0 label you will still be able to fly in A1 open category, because all <250g drones without a class certification will forever be able to fly in the A1 category (unlike heavier drones without certification that will be moved to A3 open category).

So yep, if you have a Mini 4 just remove the C0 label, is basically useless.

PD: As for the battery, no one is going to put your drone over a scale to see if it's <250g or not, it's a well known model. You can fly it legally with the battery in the A3 open category anyway.

Last edited:
You also need the latest Fly app version, under the height menu inside the Fly app it should appear "request higher altitude limit".

If you remove the C0 label you will still be able to fly in A1 open category, because all <250g drones without a class certification will forever be able to fly in the A1 category (unlike heavier drones without certification that will be moved to A3 open category).

So yep, if you have a Mini 4 just remove the C0 label, is basically useless.

PD: As for the battery, no one is going to put your drone over a scale to see if it's <250g or not, it's a well known model. You can fly it legally with the battery in the A3 open category anyway.
How do I get the latest Fly app?

Let me rephrase the question.

I am in US where I purchased the Mini 4 Pro. There is no 120m limit in US so even with the latest firmware update, I do not get a link request to remove the 120m limitation. The question I have is, can I still remove the limit if I visit on of those EU countries where limit is required after 1/1/24, or the only window to remove the limit is until 1/1/24?

Hi There.

I am a bit confused regarding the 120m rule that come into effect next year in EU.

I reside in US and bought a the Mini 4 Pro in US. The rule does not apply in US and I can fly up to 1600ft (where permitted). What happen if I want to take the drone on vacation in EU next year. Does the drone will automatically be limited to 120m?

If that the case, I know that there is a way to request to remove the limitation. However, after installing the latest firmware, I could not find that option (I currently have 1.00.0210 Aircraft Firmware and 2.00 RC Firmware). I really do not care about "C0" label since I fly Mini 4 Pro with the Plus batteries and it automatically increases the weight to more than 250g.
As soon as you installed the latest software package (DJI update) the firmware set limit of 120m became part of the drone firmware regardless of where you bought it. Where the drone is flown dictates what parameters are left active, or what parameters are hobbled. Exactly the same concept as with FCC and CE signal output. You take a drone bought in the US to Europe and as soon as you boot it up in Euro airspace: you will only get a max ceiling of 120 metres. Take a drone bought in Europe to America, and that drone will be able to climb higher.
Currently, there is no way (I am aware of) to hack the mini firmware to bypass the GZM or ALT restrictions because the SDK for newer drones is still restricted.

The firmware set limit of 120m is now part of the drone firmware regardless of where you bought it. Where the drone is flown dictates what parameters are left active, or what parameters are hobbled. Exactly the same concept as with FCC and CE signal output. You take a drone bought in the US to Europe and as soon as you boot it up in Euro airspace: you will only get a max ceiling of 120 metres. Take a drone bought in Europe to America, and that drone will be able to climb higher.
Currently, there is no way (I am aware of) to hack the mini firmware to bypass the GZM or ALT restrictions because the SDK for newer drones is still restricted.
I understand that. My question is. Since I am not in EU, but will travel there in 2024, can I remove the restriction after 01/01/2024 if I take the drone on a trip in EU?

I understand that. My question is. Since I am not in EU, but will travel there in 2024, can I remove the restriction after 01/01/2024 if I take the drone on a trip in EU?
Are you mistaking the removal of the C0 classification with the removal of the 120m altitude cap in the E.U?
As of 01.01.24 all non-professional drones will be hobbled to a max climb altitude of 400'. in order to climb higher: you would have to be flying in the specific or certified categories and you'd have to have jumped through all the certification permissions hoops well in advance for EVERY individual flight and location.... and that would be applications to the relevant county's Aviation Authority AND getting unlock certificates from DJI to climb higher than the alt. cap.

Last edited:
Are you mistaking the removal of the C0 classification with the removal of the 120m altitude cap in the E.U?
As of 01.01.24 all non-professional drones will be hobbled to a max climb altitude of 400'. in order to climb higher: you would have to be flying in the specific or certified categories and you'd have to have jumped through all the certification permissions hoops well in advance for EVERY individual flight and location.... and that would be applications to the relevant county's Aviation Authority AND getting unlock certificates from DJI to climb higher than the alt. cap.
Again, not an answer to my question. I simply would like to know, can I remove the restriction after first of January while I am on a trip in EU?

Again, not an answer to my question. I simply would like to know, can I remove the restriction after first of January while I am on a trip in EU?
While it does go by when you bought the drone (need to buy a drone built before 2024), it appears the process involves removing the label and sending a screenshot. Will you be able to do this with your drone?

While it does go by when you bought the drone (need to buy a drone built before 2024), it appears the process involves removing the label and sending a screenshot. Will you be able to do this with your drone?
I bought the drone a month ago and understand the steps. The option to remove the restriction is not available in US. I am not planning to visit EU till next year. Will I have an option to remove the restriction next year while I am in EU, or the option to remove the restriction only available until the end of the year.

I bought the drone a month ago and understand the steps. The option to remove the restriction is not available in US. I am not planning to visit EU till next year. Will I have an option to remove the restriction next year while I am in EU, or the option to remove the restriction only available until the end of the year.
I think you can. Do you have a C0 label on your drone?

Let's stay civil folks

Reactions: TinajaEco
As of 01.01.24 all non-professional drones will be hobbled to a max climb altitude of 400'.

Curious, maybe you know for certain.

Over the last several weeks as this has come up in several threads, I have gotten the strong impression that the new EU regs limit height to 400' above takeoff or AGL, whichever is less.

Is this true? Or cam a mountain still be followed upslope so long as AGL<120m is maintained (and the drone will allow it)?

Reactions: TinajaEco
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2