DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disabling VPS when flying over water

I'm referring to the "Enable Vision Positioning" setting in DJI GO.

Landing Protection is not used when you turn off the "Enable Vision Positioning" setting in DJI GO. If you want to disable both, then just turn off the "Enable Vision Positioning" setting.

There's no need to turn off Vision Positioning unless you're flying within 42 feet (13 meters) of the surface of the water.
Please explain me (us) , what does ,,Landing Protection is not used ,, mean , because my translation from English could be ambiguous . When you turnoff EVP, does this involve automatically LP off too ? Thank you

When you turnoff EVP, does this involve automatically LP off too ?
Yes. When you disable Vision Positioning, Landing Protection is automatically disabled (and cannot be enabled).

Talking of flying over water and turning off VPS - would that have prevented this or does this look like a different issue?

I was lucky enough to crash onto the only bit that wasn't running water...

Talking of flying over water and turning off VPS - would that have prevented this or does this look like a different issue?

I was lucky enough to crash onto the only bit that wasn't running water...

Wow!!! Takeoff after a crash without inspecting for prop/gimbal damage - that requires [emoji460]️[emoji460]️ of STEEL!!! [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]Maybe lost GPS and then went into ATTI. There are experts in here that'll have you upload your flight logs and give you their analysis.

Is VPS really even necessary for anything?

Based on this thread it sounds like it just causes problems.
Most of the time I turn it off, Since where I live is usually windy all the time, I turn off the sensors so I can get a little more speed against the wind. I'll turn them back on when I come in to land, but usually the sensors are turned off.

The bridge looks like heavy girders which might have affected compass as well as block GPS briefly.
In general VPS will help stability at low height with poor GPS.
Shallow water with stones showing would be less problematic than deep water and waves I suspect.

Don't turn oh Horizontal Obstacle Avoid when fly over water!

In the last 20 sec. of

More like....turn it off if you are willfully going to fly within inches of an obstacle that it will try to avoid.

Most of the time I turn it off, Since where I live is usually windy all the time, I turn off the sensors so I can get a little more speed against the wind. I'll turn them back on when I come in to land, but usually the sensors are turned off.
Much confusion about VPS , because of equivocal explanation in user manual ! We all are right to be confuse and asking a lot ! So , is it true that:
-VPS = front sensors or camera or....+ downward sensors or camera or....?
-OA ON = front camera ON ?
-Landing Protection and Precision Landing ON =downward sensors ON ?

Much confusion about VPS , because of equivocal explanation in user manual ! We all are right to be confuse and asking a lot ! So , is it true that:
-VPS = front sensors or camera or....+ downward sensors or camera or....?
-OA ON = front camera ON ?
-Landing Protection and Precision Landing ON =downward sensors ON ?

Should be VPS = height sonar sensor on for precise height plus cameras on for better positioning.
OA = obstacle avoidance sensors in the front. needs to be on for intelligent flight modes.
Landing protection and precision landing = on or off doesn't trigger the sonar or bottom camera activation. This just tells the software to check the image it took at takeoff to get better RTH position or to check the current image of the landing spot to determine it is safe.

msinger said:
There's no need to turn off Vision Positioning unless you're flying within 42 feet (13 meters) of the surface of the water.
Not sure if it's 13 meters or 10, @msinger? FIne point, just recall something different from the manual, but too lazy to look it up :)

Anyway, the reason for this, people, is because of the reflective nature of water. In fact, VPS should be disabled over any highly reflective surface.

The reason for this is how VPS works... It detects movement in the visual field. Problem with reflective surfaces is when the aircraft moves, the reflection moves in lock step, so to the Mavic it looks like it isn't moving. To make matters worse, any change in attitude (roll/pitch) WILL look like translation to the downward cameras -- the image suddenly flies off in the opposite direction to the roll/pitch.

All of this just throws the positioning logic into complete fits, and aircraft have been known to fly off completely out of control, unresponsive to stick input, as the autonomous systems try to stabilize position based on a moving image.

Bottom line: Just turn VPS off if you're going to be flying over water, don't get caught up in what altitude, etc. You're not going to be landing on the water anyway, and extreme precision positioning is very rarely called for in these situations anyway. GPS can do a good enough job holding position in these situations.

Reactions: skeester
Not sure if it's 13 meters or 10, @msinger? FIne point, just recall something different from the manual, but too lazy to look it up
It's 13 meters (per the Mavic manual).

All of this just throws the positioning logic into complete fits, and aircraft have been known to fly off completely out of control, unresponsive to stick input, as the autonomous systems try to stabilize position based on a moving image.
Just curious -- are you pulling this from memory or can you reference a flight log that shows this? I don't recall ever seeing a flight where that occurred.

I've had my mavic for a day, and today decided to shoot along a river and over a weir where the water churning around would make some nice footage. What I wasn't prepared for ,was the drone deciding to try and land right where the water was most furiously boiling ! I tried to pull up (it was at about 6 feet! ) but the drone was behaving crazily so I pressed return to home ,but that just made the mavic start descending where it was!! Like it had forgotten where home was ? At this point I started mentally preparing myself for ditching, but somehow managed to gain enough altitude to clear some trees and guide the crazed thing to the waters edge . She landed safe and sound but I was shaking for an hour ! Then some research through up this thread, so I'm relived it's not a malfunction on my drone. I got my pics ,but I'm going to steer clear of water for a while! !

VideoCapture_20180422-121427.jpg VideoCapture_20180422-121402.jpg

The downward sensors will not be used unless you're flying within 42 feet (13 meters) of the surface of the water. If you're planning a low flight over water, then either disable the downward sensors beforehand or watch your Mavic closely to see if the downward sensors are causing any type of erratic flight (and turn them off mid-flight if so).

Hi msinger. Forever grateful for the invaluable advices to the members in the forum.

Ever since I have read the threads, it has always been a "rule" for me to turn off the VPS whenever I'm flying over water...and as you've mentioned any height within 13 meters above water.

My questions now are:

1. Would the Mavic behave stable enough as not to decrease/increase altitude once VPS is turned off? (Btw, my "Landing Protection" is almost always "off" as I hand-catch most of the time.)

2. Would the Mavic behave less stable on land if VPS is kept in the "off" position compared to when it is "On"?
I have noticed that the AC didn't seem to hover as stable when I flew it in a friend's compound/garden that was almost covered with trees ...or could there had been a need to recalibrate the Compass then...or could the GPS signal been affected due to the trees?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99