DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disappointed with distance

I've always had the antennas out and flat down when the drone is out far and pointed up only when it is above me... which I believe is the opposite of what I should be doing.
Make sure the flat part of the antenna is facing the Mavic as pointed out by Anthony in post #12. The tip of the antenna actually gives you the weakest signal.

Reactions: looopson and Kilrah
Yes, so I've always flown in the city and NEVER tested in an open space like the desert to see if it still loses signal after 0.5 miles... maybe I will try driving out to the plains and test it out.
I have an unmodified remote I use out in the desert that can consistently take me out beyond the limits of my battery. The other day, I flew my Mavic out 25,000 feet but fell short on battery life on the return trip and had to make an emergency landing with 1%. The same remote gives me a max of about 2,000 feet in the city. I also have a Titan Atlas amplified antenna that I use in the city. Still, it only gives me about a mile or so in town which is more than double the range on the stock antenna. The point is, everything has limitations. While the stock controller is great, it just doesn't have the punch to get through all the interference in town. If you need more distance than what you are getting, go amplified. I like my Atlas a lot but there are others.

Reactions: Youser
I have an unmodified remote I use out in the desert that can consistently take me out beyond the limits of my battery. The other day, I flew my Mavic out 25,000 feet but fell short on battery life on the return trip and had to make an emergency landing with 1%. The same remote gives me a max of about 2,000 feet in the city. I also have a Titan Atlas amplified antenna that I use in the city. Still, it only gives me about a mile or so in town which is more than double the range on the stock antenna. The point is, everything has limitations. While the stock controller is great, it just doesn't have the punch to get through all the interference in town. If you need more distance than what you are getting, go amplified. I like my Atlas a lot but there are others.

25,000 feet? One way? How close did you get to making it back?

One way. I got within 1,700 and something feet of the home point on the way back. Set it down on the side of a dirt road in the middle of the desert. Drove my vehicle around and picked it right up safe and sound.

IMG_0071.PNG

Reactions: lerxst and davmcw
One way. I got within 1,700 and something feet of the home point on the way back. Set it down on the side of a dirt road in the middle of the desert. Drove my vehicle around and picked it right up safe and sound.

View attachment 25907

JManges...I salute you! Very nice and you obviously found the right speed for efficiency (32mph). I did a 27k round trip yesterday (by hand with none of the efficiencies of a programmed waypoint mission) and made it home with 42% left so I can see how what you were trying is feasible. I love the home point in the middle of just freakin nowhere!

I have long suspected that just under 30mph was the sweet spot efficiency wise, but you are clearly pretty dialed in at 32. Do you remember what the battery status was when you turned around?

View attachment 25907

From my little understanding of Waypoint missions, I thought that the drone would complete the mission even if it loses connection to the RC? As long as it has enough battery it will go as far as you set it to go?

Is that correct?

Reactions: HVYMTL and JManges
Thank you all for your responses.

I will try to fly out 0.5 mile with the antenna sticks pointed UP instead of OUT and see if it starts to lose video signal. I've always had the antennas out and flat down when the drone is out far and pointed up only when it is above me... which I believe is the opposite of what I should be doing.

I certainly hope it's not issue with the RC or drone because I don't know whether DJI would take it back as a warranty exchange. My DJI Refresh expires in April so it's possible? I don't think they would exchange the RC though?

Looopson, also remember the connection is sensitive to alignment between the controller and Mavic even with antennas arrayed correctly. Especially at distance and when at the edge of the signal strength wether it be 2000' or 10,000'. I was 10k out last week in a just mildly obstructed/congested condition...on the edge of reception...and by rotating my body just a couple of degrees one way or another I could go from 1 bar to 3. Tilting the controller up or down by just a couple of degrees did the same thing. I froze in the magic position and maintained connection, but even a slight movement could have resulted in a lost connection. There is a direction finder icon in the lower left of the Go app screen you can use to achieve alignment.

Reactions: looopson
From my little understanding of Waypoint missions, I thought that the drone would complete the mission even if it loses connection to the RC? As long as it has enough battery it will go as far as you set it to go?

Is that correct?
Litchi will continue the Waypoint Mission if the Mavic loses contact with the RC. Good luck finding it if that happens.

Is that correct?
Yes sir. That is correct. However, I still don't lose connection at that range in that environment.

Is that correct?

Correct. I don't use Litchi because I find it glitchy (get it). I do use Ground Station Pro by DJI and find it to be rock solid. I lose connection on missions all the time and it always completes the mission. One mission programming error though and you are screwed. I sneak up on long missions...first programming shorter VLS missions then editing them longer and longer to reduce the chance of a brain fart in the mission creation. Common killers include:
1) leaving the obstacle avoidance on and locking up on the sun while out of range, 2) setting the speed wrong and slow rolling yourself to a dead battery while out of range (not sure if the RTH function kicks in when it senses it only has enough battery to barely return home like in the Go app...I haven't been in that situation), 3) designing a mission that is too long, 4) flying it into a tree or mountain, etc.

I did 27,200 feet in the desert with almost full signal. Total was over 49,000 feet till I had to emergency land it as well.
Full stock remote.

I'm going to try a one way distance run to see how far it can go. I suspect over 7 miles.

I've also been in places that I lose total signal at 500 feet.

Reactions: Porto
JManges...I salute you! Very nice and you obviously found the right speed for efficiency (32mph). I did a 27k round trip yesterday (by hand with none of the efficiencies of a programmed waypoint mission) and made it home with 42% left so I can see how what you were trying is feasible. I love the home point in the middle of just freakin nowhere!

I have long suspected that just under 30mph was the sweet spot efficiency wise, but you are clearly pretty dialed in at 32. Do you remember what the battery status was when you turned around?
Actually, I felt a little stupid coming up short. Miscalculation or over-ambition? However, it was out in the middle of nowhere as you pointed out so no harm no foul. Anyhow, the spot I take off from is about 200ft above the turnaround spot. My intent was to take off just high enough to register the home point, and keep it at a constant level there in back so I wouldn't have to burn up battery adjusting the altitude. I had set the altitude for the last leg at 10ft figuring I was going to be coming in hot from a nearly dead battery. Anyhow, the weather conditions were great. 65 degrees. No wind. Not sure what else to do except shorten the trip if I want to stay stock. BTW, Battery was about 55% when I turned around.

Reactions: Hotelone
Looopson, also remember the connection is sensitive to alignment between the controller and Mavic even with antennas arrayed correctly. Especially at distance and when at the edge of the signal strength wether it be 2000' or 10,000'. I was 10k out last week in a just mildly obstructed/congested condition...on the edge of reception...and by rotating my body just a couple of degrees one way or another I could go from 1 bar to 3. Tilting the controller up or down by just a couple of degrees did the same thing. I froze in the magic position and maintained connection, but even a slight movement could have resulted in a lost connection. There is a direction finder icon in the lower left of the Go app screen you can use to achieve alignment.

When you refer to it adjusting from 1 bar to 3, is there a signal strength reader on the RC itself? Or do you just refer to the bars on the DJI Go app?

When you refer to it adjusting from 1 bar to 3, is there a signal strength reader on the RC itself? Or do you just refer to the bars on the DJI Go app?

Uh, yes. There are signal strength meters on both the remote and the app. They mirror each other. Please don't fly out of visual line of sight until you familiarize yourself with the controls and the machine itself.

ive been in this game for a while now, and video range is massive now compared to just a few years ago. I remember being stoked when i could get clear image throughout whole flight at no more than a 100 odd meters. And not that long ago.

Reactions: OzoneVibe
I don't know, I flew my MPP last weekend a good 3500 feet out from where I was at Jacksonville Beach out to the pier and back, no video issues, no communication issues. I felt like I was in heaven. My Yuneec Q500 4K would start crapping out at about 1000 feet

I think you can "tune" the position of your antennas by looking, on your display, at the signal strength of the video AND the RC.

Personally, I put the antennas really in a vertical position once it's in the air (90 degrees between flat surface and the antennas, on your picture, they are actually at something like 50 degrees).
I agree with you. Vertical seems to be the best for most situations.

I find it fascinating that the aircraft is still visible at these distances. I have trouble keeping an eye on my Mavic much further than about 1800'. safe flying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard