DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

disappointed with DJI and the constant problematic updates

Lugh65

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I'm a Mavic Air2 owner, really tired of all these firmware/software updates and to be a free "beta tester" for DJI.

Since I spent 1200 CHF (the equivalent of 1200 USD) for a drone think it is my right to have something I can use as I like .

Due to the latest updates of the Fly APP I had continuous disconnections between the drone and the remote controller and an incredible video lag so did not feel safe when flying.

I bought the Air 2 in June 2020 and everything worked perfectly before the Mini 2 arrived on the market.

After upgrading to DJI FLY version 1.2 I had to downgrade to version 1.1.9 to safely use the drone again. Then trusted V1.2.2 and attracted by the new features installed it: another disaster and then another downgrade to 1.1.9.

In conclusion I would like to use the drone as I do with my reflex camera, I take it out of my bag and use it without worrying about endless technical issues. I work in the IT department of a big company and in my spare time don't want to deal with solving technical problems.

While I am writing realized that other updates have been released for both the firmware and the APP (1.2.4).

Should I install them or is it yet another waste of time?

Best regards to everyone.

Claudio

Hi everyone,

I'm a Mavic Air2 owner, really tired of all these firmware/software updates and to be a free "beta tester" for DJI.

Since I spent 1200 CHF (the equivalent of 1200 USD) for a drone think it is my right to have something I can use as I like .

Due to the latest updates of the Fly APP I had continuous disconnections between the drone and the remote controller and an incredible video lag so did not feel safe when flying.

I bought the Air 2 in June 2020 and everything worked perfectly before the Mini 2 arrived on the market.

After upgrading to DJI FLY version 1.2 I had to downgrade to version 1.1.9 to safely use the drone again. Then trusted V1.2.2 and attracted by the new features installed it: another disaster and then another downgrade to 1.1.9.

In conclusion I would like to use the drone as I do with my reflex camera, I take it out of my bag and use it without worrying about endless technical issues. I work in the IT department of a big company and in my spare time don't want to deal with solving technical problems.

While I am writing realized that other updates have been released for both the firmware and the APP (1.2.4).

Should I install them or is it yet another waste of time?

Best regards to everyone.

Claudio
"I work in the IT department of a big company and in my spare time don't want to deal with solving technical problems.". Can you declare that you never make update of your IT product for you company?

You can always check to see what the update is giving you and make the choice. I also worked in an IT department and never did updates right away until we hear if the update caused any problems.

Being a member of this forum helps with that and you can also go DJI forum to get more info.

"I work in the IT department of a big company and in my spare time don't want to deal with solving technical problems.". Can you declare that you never make update of your IT product for you company?
Sorry , I miss the point. Updates should be tested properly and not be the cause of endless problems. Flying drones for me is a hobby and not a job.

Last edited:
You can always check to see what the update is giving you and make the choice. I also worked in an IT department and never did updates right away until we hear if the update caused any problems.

Being a member of this forum helps with that and you can also go DJI forum to get more info.
What you say is right. However, regardless the fact that an update is useful or not, it should at least, not compromise safety and be sufficiently tested by DJI.
That's why I wonder if we are considered DJI customers or beta testers working for free

What you say is right. However, regardless the fact that an update is useful or not, it should at least, not compromise safety and be sufficiently tested by DJI.
That's why I wonder if we are considered DJI customers or beta testers working for free
DJI has a Beta Team (Made up from people just like you and me) and does test prior to any release. But there will always be adjustments due to the wide array of devices people use and different environments and such that people use their products. While it is true they certainly aren't perfect they have certainly invested huge amounts of resources to improve that area. When you see a firmware come out almost back to back, you can bet that their was a inherent or possible safety issue that was detected, so their doing there best to circumvent issues along that line.

The biggest issue is misinformation and crack websites that proliferate such, and those not so savvy to again pass false information. DJI does not (Normally) force updates, as such if you are using a bit of due diligence you will find plenty of people who will "Beta" new releases and report on sites such as this any issues..one must simply remove themselves from that loop...pretty simple equation.

Due to the complex systems involved there is a inherent degree of tolerance they try and stay between on hardware that the software allows for. In that, they then must look at real world data to adjust parameters of software to either increase or decrease tolerances allowed, so as not to evoke further issues for what was once a stable system for the masses.

It is just way too involved to get to that array of Beta testers to test all circumstances in all parts of the world for all users using various products that are using theirs. They have a avenue of support to allow users to input issues to be forwarded to proper channels, unfortunately this site and forums isn't one of them.

Last edited:
I have a lot of doubt on FLY APP update being the real cause.
Absolutely agree...most probably the tones installed apps in the phone could be the reason for the disconnections. I am using Redmi Note9S phone with mine MA2. First I installed the Fly app in my main phone space and I had disconnections as well. I uninstalled and set the usage of the second phone space. This is a good option of Redmi models. The second phone space is like new Android and clear from any installed apps. With this option, I never have any disconnection, no matter what FW version and I am using the same phone....

Last edited:
Absolutely agree...most probably the tones installed apps in the phone could be the reason for the disconnections. I am using Redmi Note9S phone with mine MA2. First I installed the Fly app in my main phone space and I had disconnections as well. I uninstalled and set the usage of the second phone space. This is a good option of Redmi models. The second phone space is like new Android and clear from any installed apps. With this option, I never have any disconnection, no matter what FW version and I am using the same phone

I'm using a dedicated phone and the only apps installed are DJI FLY and the native Google apps.
There's no SIM card either and before V1.2 everything was working properly.

Absolutely agree...most probably the tones installed apps in the phone could be the reason for the disconnections. I am using Redmi Note9S phone with mine MA2. First I installed the Fly app in my main phone space and I had disconnections as well. I uninstalled and set the usage of the second phone space. This is a good option of Redmi models. The second phone space is like new Android and clear from any installed apps. With this option, I never have any disconnection, no matter what FW version and I am using the same phone....

This also falls into the area of Android and Apple. DJI tests their software with a true as released from Google Android OS as they do with Apple. Apple is a closed system so it isn't to hard to find and fix a issue. With Android....who the heck knows from one device to the next what is in that mixing bowl from one vendor to the next....tis what it is...and has been that way for what? 6 years of DJI making these things..isn't like that data , thousands of posts on sites don't reflect, one merely has to bother to look. BTW never heard of a phone like that, sounds cool...but again I never really looked as I learned 5+ years ago to bite the bullet and get Apple for my DJI :p My Android Phone is a new, but 6 year old device running 5.0 Android and it works fine...I use it to make calls...I guess that is why it is called a phone? ;)

Last edited:
I'm using a dedicated phone and the only apps installed are DJI FLY and the native Google apps.
There's no SIM card either and before V1.2 everything was working properly.
You can easy check...just use another clear Android phone and see how the new version of Fly works....

• Haha
Reactions: volition
This also falls into the area of Android and Apple. DJI tests their software with a true as released from Google Android OS as they do with Apple. Apple is a closed system so it isn't to hard to find and fix a issue. With Android....who the heck knows from one device to the next what is in that mixing bowl from one vendor to the next....tis what it is...and has been that way for what? 6 years of DJI making these things..isn't like that data , thousands of posts on sites don't reflect, one merely has to bother to look. BTW never heard of a phone like that, sounds cool...but again I never really looked as I learned 5+ years ago to bite the bullet and get Apple for my DJI :p My Android Phone is a new, but 6 year old device running 5.0 Android and it works fine...for making calls and doing texts..you know what a phone is actually designed to do ;)
...BTW never heard of a phone like that...
What Is Second Space in MIUI: A Definitive Guide

• Haha
Reactions: volition
never had any issues before V1.2

The link between the controller and the drone isn't dependent on the DJI Fly app. In fact, you can fly your drone without any connected phone/tablet at all.

The link between the controller and the drone isn't dependent on the DJI Fly app. In fact, you can fly your drone without any connected phone/tablet at all.
Exactly, but the ability of the device does actually exhibit what appears to be lag as the device struggles with a now new, and somewhat more App intensive program. So one wants to make sure they have that overhead when considering a device or get left behind when improvements are made. Otherwise just stay with what you have and if it ain't broke don't fix it...but you miss any extra feature set that may be involved with subsequent releases. much along the lines of 1080p and 4K video...you can't update part of the equation and expect one side to compensate for the other. :)

It is fairly easy to trouble shoot, if the masses upgrade and have no issue with firmware...that should tell you it isn't the firmware/software....or at least that is what I deduce., call me crazy :oops:

Last edited:
with every new model of drone that DJI have sold, there has been a period of time after release ,when the firmware has been constantly updated ,and with the new MA 2 and Mini 2 there has been the added complication of a new APP to contend with as well,the only way to avoid this period is to wait for at least 6 months after release for all the bugs to be sorted out ,i made the decision at the release of the M2P ,to purchase the MPP instead at a very good price and during the last 2 plus years i have hardly had to do any updates as all the issues had been resolved before my purchase,with the MM i was lucky enough to have it as a present from a family member on the day of its release ,and even after a year, i am still getting updates mainly because of the Fly App which the MM uses, but i must say that even though most of the App updates are to do with the MA2 and Mini2 ,on IOS they have never caused me any issues

Bottom line: don't do firmware upgrades until you see some level of acceptance on the forum. I went through the v1.2->v1.1.9 app "downgrade" fiasco as well, and since then I have noticed the problems don't seem to be with the app (only) but with the interaction between the phone app and drone firmware. I suspect that DJI doesn't regression test (sufficiently) drone/phone versions, which (if true) is bad operational support.

• Love
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972