DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disappointing video!

Bala

Reactions
Hi. Hope you guys/gals can help me with this. I'm attaching a flight video i took a couple of days ago. I'd been waiting for the perfect conditions to make this flight for a year. It's often windy and wet here! Could someone point me in the right direction as to what causes this video to look so washed out/ cartoonish?? The flight you see is the view out my window. No need to watch it all of course. The camera setting were as follows. 720p-shutter 1/40-WB auto-ISO 100. I was using an NB 16 filter made by 'Neewer'. Card was a San Disk Extreme PRO 64gb microSDXC UHS-1. I put the card directly into my computer which is a latest i-mac. The i-mac played it using the default Quick Time Player (could this be the problem?) Should i use a much higher resolution on the Mavic. I was hoping to edit etc but the quality is just not worth it. If there's any more info i left out please ask. Many thanks.

Won't let me attach the file!! The video is 6 mins long. Is this why? Please help! Do i compress it??

Last edited:
I would be guessing but it seems your settings would create an overexposure.
1/40 shutter seems rather slow. Rule of thumb is to target 2x frame rate so if recording 30fps, you would want to target 1/60 shutter. Granted you can't be exact with only shutter, ISO and filter density to work with.

Done .....at last! Thank you for getting back Dan. Looks much worse on youtube so not really sure if it was worth posting. Much better straight from the sd card bit not really good.
How do you guys get such immaculate videos??

Much of the minor overexposure and be taken out via editing. Colors can be popped some too. Might make it more acceptable to you.

If you explain what settings you are using and any accessories attached to drone maybe someone can explain where you are going wrong ?

Looks like recording or editing/rendering in pretty low res??

ISO 100 - ND Filters - record (H265) and edit in 4K (if you have a machine that will handle it) - Render in 4K

It doesn't look TOO bad, mind you.
Played in 1080 for me on YouTube, you shot it 720p ?
Viewed full screen (22") looked reasonable, you could probably edit it a little, try some of the tips above, and transition out some of the slower sections (out to the fish pens etc), slow down that last turn a bit.

Reactions: Bala
Done .....at last! Thank you for getting back Dan. Looks much worse on youtube so not really sure if it was worth posting. Much better straight from the sd card bit not really good.
How do you guys get such immaculate videos??
What’s the issue? It just looks like unedited video.

Reactions: barrybcar
Hi. Hope you guys/gals can help me with this. I'm attaching a flight video i took a couple of days ago. I'd been waiting for the perfect conditions to make this flight for a year. It's often windy and wet here! Could someone point me in the right direction as to what causes this video to look so washed out/ cartoonish?? The flight you see is the view out my window. No need to watch it all of course. The camera setting were as follows. 720p-shutter 1/40-WB auto-ISO 100. I was using an NB 16 filter made by 'Neewer'. Card was a San Disk Extreme PRO 64gb microSDXC UHS-1. I put the card directly into my computer which is a latest i-mac. The i-mac played it using the default Quick Time Player (could this be the problem?) Should i use a much higher resolution on the Mavic. I was hoping to edit etc but the quality is just not worth it. If there's any more info i left out please ask. Many thanks.
For fun I edited your video. Now this is a 30 second edit job for me and I only had the video from YouTube to work with not the original but its a good video properly exposed and allowed me to punch it the way I like. If this was a real job I could have put that extra gloss on it but you get the idea

For fun I edited your video. Now this is a 30 second edit job for me and I only had the video from YouTube to work with not the original but its a good video properly exposed and allowed me to punch it the way I like. If this was a real job I could have put that extra gloss on it but you get the idea

Thank you for doing that. Looks so much better.

Looks like recording or editing/rendering in pretty low res??

ISO 100 - ND Filters - record (H265) and edit in 4K (if you have a machine that will handle it) - Render in 4K
Hi, could you explain 'record (H265) ' please? Ta.

Thanks for your help guys. I think i should have recorded in higher resolution and am in the process of learning to enhance video in i-movie. I'm gonna tweek my camera settings also. All new to me........obviously! Much appreciated!!

It doesn't look TOO bad, mind you.
Played in 1080 for me on YouTube, you shot it 720p ?
Viewed full screen (22") looked reasonable, you could probably edit it a little, try some of the tips above, and transition out some of the slower sections (out to the fish pens etc), slow down that last turn a bit.
Yes 720. Great advice.

Funny, maybe YouTube converts to better output when it's uploaded ?
Seems odd it plays in 1080 for me, and in the settings there is even the option to play up to 1440, and it does, but can't really see any difference.
Just played it again and you're right! Does this mean, if i had used 1080 or 4K in the 1st place, it would be excellent!!???

It looks great... for a 720p video, which was outdated a decade ago :)
Yes, shot in 4K would be awesome.
You can always reduce quality in post if needed, but obviously not oncrease it - so you always want to shoot in the best quality you can.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique