DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disaster.. Please Help

Ugh. Joined the Forum this morning and the weather cleared up decided to go for a flight. Long story short my drone was struck out of the air by a larger bird and somehow it fell 30ft into the lake. Unrecoverable.. I have DJI Replacement but i have heard that you need to have the actual product. Any suggestions or comments or help or anything would be greatly appreciated.
As @sar104 mentioned above, it may be wise to start a discourse with DJI about this and share your mobile logs with them. Best case outcome is they replace it, but more likely, they may offer you a +/- 30% discount on just the drone itself. It's worth trying IMO.

Reactions: Papa_G
Im sorry to hear that you lost your drone. I fly often around giant condors here in Cali and always worry about getting whacked or attacked. I dont antagonize them, but still. As far as drone only, I just got a replacement platinum pro from DJI for the refurbished price. No controller or battery or even props. Drone only, cost about $800 shipped and once the case was cleared I got the drone shipped to me in a week. Looking back, I wish I would have bought the air 2 fly more for a little more, but I digress, I love how quiet the Platinum pro is.

So no, as far as your question goes, I haven't actually had good luck with the dji refresh program, but i did send them my video of my fly away towards alcatraz. Not my fault, have telemetry and audio of me going wtf...but still no freebie here. And looking at others suggestions of insurance from state farm, I'm going to look into it.

Find someone who dives.
Yep , agreed ..my sons drone got stuck on a cliff so I paid a guy £100 to climb up and get it .... a diver would cost you less... look for a local diving club and see who can help ....

I don't have refresh, but I would definitely pursue this line first. I suspect refresh is as cheap as it is because they expect to have original drone for parts or refurb to recover cost, but worth a shot. Maybe they'll at least offer a replacement at discuout.

I'm sure that they have no interest at all in bits of crashed drones. What they do want is some kind of assurance that the aircraft really was damaged or lost - in other words that people are not claiming under the refresh scheme when they didn't actually lose it.

Sad story. No State Farm here in Florida. They abandoned us after a hurricane awhile back. Had em for 50 yrs. I use care refresh and a GetterBack over water.
Yes, on eBay saw drone only. But only about $200 less than new bundle. Remote, batteries, all separately.
Hope DJI cooperates. Best of luck there.

or dive

Reactions: DillyDrones
Sorry to hear, this really sucks.

Question about State Farm ins. - with this you do NOT need the DJI insurance correct? its either or?
Being I am a retired SF Agent, I dont think their policy would cover mechanical failure without an insuring covered peril, like fire... That would suggest that you still need DJI.

Got a good idea where in the lake you lost your beloved? Maybe there’s a local diver who could retrieve it. We learned to run underwater search patterns fairly effectively years ago. Depends an the scale of where it went down. Maybe you can find a sympathetic diver/drone pilot. Worth asking around. Just call the nearest dive shop. Fresh water = no tides/current.

Ugh. Joined the Forum this morning and the weather cleared up decided to go for a flight. Long story short my drone was struck out of the air by a larger bird and somehow it fell 30ft into the lake. Unrecoverable.. I have DJI Replacement but i have heard that you need to have the actual product. Any suggestions or comments or help or anything would be greatly appreciated.
I have advised this before. Call your insurance agent and have the new one insured. That will cover losing it. I have State Farm, $1,500 coverage for $60.00 per year.

Nope. Lost stolen or broke
The DJI "Insurance" does require returning the damaged drone, but for $99.00, it does replace the damaged one.

That's too bad! I got State Farm just because I do a lot of flying around and on water.
He’s in Canada. As far as I know there are no insurance policies here similar to State Farm in the US.

Chris

He’s in Canada. As far as I know there are no insurance policies here similar to State Farm in the US.

Chris
I only used State Farm as an example. I would be surprised if Canadian (auto and home) insurance companies have similar policies. This is the same type of policy used to insure jewelry. In the U.S. a Personal Property Floater.

Check to be sure with State Farm, but from what I remember having had this on my first drone, they cover pretty much any kind of loss.

Sorry to hear, this really sucks.

Question about State Farm ins. - with this you do NOT need the DJI insurance correct? its either or?

I do it often, but flying over water always makes me more nervous than usual. I have DJI refresh for my M2P, but recovery of the drone is a must. My “water kit“ now includes a “get her back“ device which floats with a 100 foot string attached to the drone to mark the spot. The marker is fine, assuming It deploys, but I need a way to get to the marker and retrieve the drone. So I got an inflatable kayak from Amazon for 100 bucks.

Sad story. No State Farm here in Florida. They abandoned us after a hurricane awhile back. Had em for 50 yrs. I use care refresh and a GetterBack over water.
Yes, on eBay saw drone only. But only about $200 less than new bundle. Remote, batteries, all separately.
Hope DJI cooperates. Best of luck there.

or dive
This is true?! This is terrible news! I just finished an over water flight and was thinking how I NEED to get State Farm, even with my 2 Getterbacks and Care Refresh. If I can't, I'll be very sad.

Crazy incident ... bird strike is a scary one for a drone operator, especially if over water. Do you screen record that flight?

I do it often, but flying over water always makes me more nervous than usual. I have DJI refresh for my M2P, but recovery of the drone is a must. My “water kit“ now includes a “get her back“ device which floats with a 100 foot string attached to the drone to mark the spot. The marker is fine, assuming It deploys, but I need a way to get to the marker and retrieve the drone. So I got an inflatable kayak from Amazon for 100 bucks.

Any links to this water kit? Do they have these components (not kayak) on Amazon?

Reactions: DillyDrones
Crazy incident ... bird strike is a scary one for a drone operator, especially if over water. Do you screen record that flight?

Any links to this water kit? Do they have these components (not kayak) on Amazon?

“Water kit” is just my nickname for my stuff to recover a drone turned submarine. The “Getter Back” device image is attached. It is $40 from Amazon. There are a number of products that will float a drone, many of them being essentially styrofoam pontoons. Those are not in my repertoire: they are too non-aerodynamic for my taste. The inflatable kayak btw, is in a carry bag about half the size of a golf bag and weighs about 20 pounds, I.e., pretty manageable and, imho, worth the minor hassle should I ever need it.

Attachments

• BF1780E1-DFFC-4027-8DE3-67766E2E3F6D.png
    BF1780E1-DFFC-4027-8DE3-67766E2E3F6D.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 60
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini