DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Discharged battery that won't wake up - Is it wasted?

aaron321

Reactions
Hello all, first post here.
I have a battery that has apparently fully discharged before I got the chance to get it back up to 25% or so, and after doing some research, it's apparent to me that if the battery won't wake up after you try to wake it up, it's a loss.

I'm aware of the fact that the LED on the battery button is not going to flash, since the battery is fully uncharged.

However, I read that you still need to go through the process of double pressing the battery button like you would normally, just before you place it back on the charger. This appears to work for several seconds, because the charger then pulses green for a while, but then it just switches back to red again.

Does anyone have any other advice they can provide? Besides just giving up and asking DJI to replace it?? lol

Last edited:
Very few charge cycles.
Maybe ten, at the very most? I bought the Fly More combo in November 2020 and only use my drone intermittantly.

In that case I would suggest contacting DJI as it will still be under warranty (6-months for batteries).

Reactions: aaron321
In that case I would suggest contacting DJI as it will still be under warranty (6-months for batteries).
I will, but dam.... this whole battery maintenance thing seems super cut-throat.
Like.... one instance of a battery discharge and it's game over? Really???

Depends on how fully discharged it was when you store it. Did you use it until 0% and then store it for a couple of months?
If it was stored at 25% it should still be ok for a month or so.

I will, but dam.... this whole battery maintenance thing seems super cut-throat.
Like.... one instance of a battery discharge and it's game over? Really???

Unfortunately LiPo batteries can be like that. They have very high power density for their size and low weight making them ideal for drones. They can also be formed into more practical shapes than the circular Lithium Ion batteries. The downside is they don’t like their cell voltage dropping below 3-volts, which can cause irrevocable chemical damage.

Depends on how fully discharged it was when you store it. Did you use it until 0% and then store it for a couple of months?
If it was stored at 25% it should still be ok for a month or so.
I only drained the battery as I normally do, probably down to around 10-15 percent charge. Then I forgot to recharge it for about two days afterwards.

I only drained the battery as I normally do, probably down to around 10-15 percent charge. Then I forgot to recharge it for about two days afterwards.
For the record, I never run any Lithium-based batteries (LiOn/LiPo) down to 10%...or let them sit below 25% for more than a day or so. Just sayin'

I don’t think that would’ve killed the battery. I land my drone around 30%. It could be over a month before I charge and fly again.

I don’t think that would’ve killed the battery. I land my drone around 30%. It could be over a month before I charge and fly again.
This happened once before, but after 20 minutes of being left on the charger, it "woke up" and began charging again. It's got to be defective, because I never store these batteries away.

**update
Sat on the battery for about 15 minutes to warm it up, much like a hen sitting on eggs. This method worked.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots