DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Discharging Mavic Mini Transmitter

Rchawks

Reactions
How do I discharge the Transmitter. Do I just use the cord I connect my phone with for this. Already did the battery packs using the cord for my ipads and iphone by connecting to the multi charger.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it- assuming your motivation is the expectation of realising a significant benefit in battery life. The TX is much less demanding on the battery than the aircraft. Any slight increase in IR will prove insignificant on usable capacity. Low current loads provide that IR losses in the battery are of little consequence, at least by way of comparison to a flight pack.

Reactions: Rchawks
How do I discharge the Transmitter. Do I just use the cord I connect my phone with for this. Already did the battery packs using the cord for my ipads and iphone by connecting to the multi charger.

I advise you to do some tests, taking note of controller status leds before / after flight, and before / after a fixed charging time. This is the meaning of leds extracted from manual:

STATUS LEDS
0%-13% blink, off, off, off
13%-25% on, off, off, off
25%-38% on, blink, off, off
38%- 50% on, on, off, off
50%-63% on, on, blink, off
63%-75% on, on on, off
75%-88% on, on, on, blink
88%-100% on, on, on, on

Once you get that data, I suggest you after a flight sesion recharging your controller only to 50% of their capacity, that's very close to optimal storage voltage.

All the best

R.

I advise you to do some tests, taking note of controller status leds before / after flight, and before / after a fixed charging time. This is the meaning of leds extracted from manual:

STATUS LEDS
0%-13% blink, off, off, off
13%-25% on, off, off, off
25%-38% on, blink, off, off
38%- 50% on, on, off, off
50%-63% on, on, blink, off
63%-75% on, on on, off
75%-88% on, on, on, blink
88%-100% on, on, on, on

Once you get that data, I suggest you after a flight sesion recharging your controller only to 50% of their capacity, that's very close to optimal storage voltage.

All the best

R.
This map is for the aircraft battery, not the transmitter battery.

Just curious, but if the goal is storage voltage at or around the 50% mark, wouldn’t two solid LEDs mean about the same on the aircraft battery as on the RC battery?

Interested.... What is your reason for discharging the controller?

The following was part of another thread re MM batteries...
Thanks to Mavic South Oz, I was directed to a site that provided some great information re the MM lithium ion batteries and I thought it might be worth sharing. The following is a quote from batteryuniversity.com...
BU-702: How to Store Batteries – Battery University
“Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, the depth of discharge (DoD) determines the cycle count of the battery. The smaller the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine. There is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life. The exception may be a periodic calibration of the fuel gauge on a smart battery or intelligent device.“‘
In other words, our batteries for the MM are different than those in the larger DJI drones and in that regard, we have some advantages. First of all, there’s no memory so we can charge them at any point of discharge. Also, we can keep them fully charged and ready for action without shortening their life.

The following was part of another thread re MM batteries...
Thanks to Mavic South Oz, I was directed to a site that provided some great information re the MM lithium ion batteries and I thought it might be worth sharing. The following is a quote from batteryuniversity.com...
BU-702: How to Store Batteries – Battery University
“Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, the depth of discharge (DoD) determines the cycle count of the battery. The smaller the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine. There is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life. The exception may be a periodic calibration of the fuel gauge on a smart battery or intelligent device.“‘
In other words, our batteries for the MM are different than those in the larger DJI drones and in that regard, we have some advantages. First of all, there’s no memory so we can charge them at any point of discharge. Also, we can keep them fully charged and ready for action without shortening their life.
Maybe not as different as you might have assumed- LiPO (Lithium Polymer) is a type of LiION cell. Most of the storage/usage recommendations have universal application.

the two main concerns are ,don't store them fully charged,and don't let them get discharged to very low levels for long periods of time, so if your controller battery is at say 50% after your days flying then its fine to stay like that until you next fly then charge it fully up before going out again, similarly if your flying day was cut short by the weather and you came home with 75% charge in the controller then that would be fine also

Ah, the weather. I was ready for a 3 battery run (and full transmitter) when the weather turned which brought me to this point. I plugged my battery charger with one battery loaded to my iphone then ipad using the cord to reduce the full charge, knowing I would not have time before the weekend to fly again. I understand the transmitter doesn't draw power at the same level of the MM batteries. Just being a bit overprotective, my nature. Everyone who knows me says if you ever want to buy anything used by it from Tom, lol. I put each one of the batteries back into the mini so I could get a digital reading on the iphone instead of using the blinking light format. Thank you for all the expert opinions I do appreciate all the information.

Reactions: old man mavic
Maybe not as different as you might have assumed- LiPO (Lithium Polymer) is a type of LiION cell. Most of the storage/usage recommendations have universal application.
It appears to be two conflicting opinions now if you read the last paragraph of the Battery University piece. How does an average guy know which one to go by??? I’m confused, do we keep them fully charged or not? ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Last edited:
This appears to be two conflicting opinions. How does an average guy know which one to go by??? I’m confused now. ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️
Conflicting opinions?

The “lithium based” commentary in the link you posted has equal applicability to LiION and LiPO. LiPO is LiION chemistry.

Reactions: raulmavic
This map is for the aircraft battery, not the transmitter battery.

You are right, status led info is printed into 'aircraft' manual chapter, but after many test I'm pretty sure same info can be applied to 'transmitter' chapter too. Even more, status led during charging works too:

STATUS LED WHEN CHARGING (tested for aircraft & controller)
0%-25%blink, off, off, off
25%-50%blink, blink, off, off
50%-75%blink, blink, blink, off
75%-100%blink, blink, blink, blink
100%off, off, off, off

Reactions: pelagic_one
the lights on the controller and the batteries, are only an approx figure,like the fuel gage on a vehicle and are just to give you an idea of remaining charge
if left fully charged for a couple of days its not an issue just don't leave them fully charged for long periods

Reactions: Dbez1 and raulmavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000