DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disconnected over the ocean! No RTH!

I considered the could be a problem. When I set it on the car it did not complain at all and seemed to operate normally. But I was looking for a complaint taking off from a metal surface.
The drone was on it way back to me at the time of failure, so the sun was at it's back and the camera as facing nearly straight down. I was kind of looking for sharks. La Perouse bay is know to have a pretty good population and there were signs all over that said there were sightings.
So coming back towards you the Mavic would have been flying away from the sun?

can someone tell me what the difference is between the two altitude values, IMU and VPS?
At 11.7s VPS Alititude stops recording any values.

So coming back towards you the Mavic would have been flying away from the sun?
I had flown into the sun out to a rocky point, had turned around and was heading back. At that point, the drone is flying back to me facing away from the sun, but I'm still looking toward the sun at moment of failure..

can someone tell me what the difference is between the two altitude values, IMU and VPS?
At 11.7s VPS Alititude stops recording any values.
VPS refers to the Visual Positioning System. It uses cameras and ultrasonic sensors to measure the distance above the ground. However VPS only functions when you're close to the ground which is why they cut out after a few seconds. The main altitude is (I believe) measured using barometric pressure.

Last edited:
I had flown into the sun out to a rocky point, had turned around and was heading back. At that point, the drone is flying back to me facing away from the sun, but I'm still looking toward the sun at moment of failure..
Well that rules out it being stopped by the foreword sensors if it disconnected and tried to RTH.

I think this is called 'built in obsolescence'. When sales are lagging, crash a few drones!
What your best guess as to what kind of deal they'll give me on a replacement? I did not have insurance.

I had crashed my drone when it was new and broke the camera gimbal. I sent it in for repair. If I remember right, they quoted $175, which I was thrilled with. They sent me a brand new drone!! No explanation or additional information was provided. It was simply a new drone that showed up.

I would be nice if I could get a replacement for something in that price range. I somehow doubt it though. I saw another thread whether they offered a 30% discount.

I think this is called 'built in obsolescence'. When sales are lagging, crash a few drones!
What your best guess as to what kind of deal they'll give me on a replacement? I did not have insurance.

I had crashed my drone when it was new and broke the camera gimbal. I sent it in for repair. If I remember right, they quoted $175, which I was thrilled with. They sent me a brand new drone!! No explanation or additional information was provided. It was simply a new drone that showed up.

I would be nice if I could get a replacement for something in that price range. I somehow doubt it though. I saw another thread whether they offered a 30% discount.
I would definitely start a case with them, you might get a free referb or, as you said, 30% off.

Thanks y'all for your input. Much appreciated. I opened a case and politely begged for a smokin' deal. I'll report back.
Fly safe!

Reactions: MavicCF
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nordrand