DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disheartened

I received my zoom Tuesday 8/28. after upgrading the firmware and charging the batteries (I bought the fly more kit) my first flight went great (I didn't do much still have it in beginner mode, mostly up and down in the same spot, rotate and zoom).

Last night however my phone/kept disconnecting. The physical controller on the top screen said it was connected but the dji4 app kept saying disconnected. I don't know what it wrong. I got it to take off and hover 5 feet off the ground and then it disconnected which meant I couldn't do anything (make it land etc). Eventually It connected and I got it down but it was kind of scary not having control, tried rebooting the phone/controller etc. same outcome. I am not sure it it is the cable, phone, controller, or drone. I have a samsung galaxy Note 8. I have not had a chance to try a new phone yet (my son and wife both have pixel 2 XLs). Any thoughts?

Hello, regrettably you will need a different phone. I have 2 Samsungs on their approved list, but they don't work, and crash constantly. I've done everything mentioned on the interweb, and I mean everything...... The pixel's may work, but the only sure thing is an Apple product. I'm still dealing with the crashing out of stubbornness, but will probably buy something else that works. You can search for which android devices seem the most reliable with the GO app, if you want to stick with that platform.

Regards,

Kevin

I received my zoom Tuesday 8/28. after upgrading the firmware and charging the batteries (I bought the fly more kit) my first flight went great (I didn't do much still have it in beginner mode, mostly up and down in the same spot, rotate and zoom).

Last night however my phone/kept disconnecting. The physical controller on the top screen said it was connected but the dji4 app kept saying disconnected. I don't know what it wrong. I got it to take off and hover 5 feet off the ground and then it disconnected which meant I couldn't do anything (make it land etc). Eventually It connected and I got it down but it was kind of scary not having control, tried rebooting the phone/controller etc. same outcome. I am not sure it it is the cable, phone, controller, or drone. I have a samsung galaxy Note 8. I have not had a chance to try a new phone yet (my son and wife both have pixel 2 XLs). Any thoughts?
Perhaps a weak signal ?

I fl
I hope not, since I was standing 3 feet from the Drone. I have read a number of other threads now on disconnecting, and I didn't realize it was such a problem, especially with Android devices.[/QU. I fly mine with Android and haven't had any problems so I can only think that it's a signal problem

Reactions: gsharrow
You could fire it up on the back of your house, then go inside and look at the signal strength on the remote, then go to the other side of your house, sit in the car, go in the basement etc. You could even leave it on outside your house, and drive down the road to see how far the signal carries.

Regards,

Kevin

You could fire it up on the back of your house, then go inside and look at the signal strength on the remote, then go to the other side of your house, sit in the car, go in the basement etc. You could even leave it on outside your house, and drive down the road to see how far the signal carries.

Regards,

Kevin
I will try this. I can say every time I looked at the screen on the remote it had full bars on the RC strength. This was true even when the app was disconnected.

Also could be signal interference from any near by cell towers, metal structures, etc....be safe, fly smart
I tried tonight near my house again(was dusk and did not have time to go anywhere) , no issues at all, the RC had full bars, the phone never disconnected, I did turn on USB debugging on my phone. I will be able to try it in more detail over the log weekend and see if things stay working or not.

I tried tonight near my house again(was dusk and did not have time to go anywhere) , no issues at all, the RC had full bars, the phone never disconnected, I did turn on USB debugging on my phone. I will be able to try it in more detail over the log weekend and see if things stay working or not.
Also put your phone in "AIRPLANE" mode

Hi,

I have been lurking around these forums for a long time reading advice as I saved up to get my first mavic drone.

I have been eagerly awaiting this new drone so that I could get the latest tech but ( Mod Removed ) the zoom is $1999 for just the drone and the fly more package is another $802 but is wonderfully on sale for $549.

The pro 2 is another $300 above the zoom.

In case you didn’t guess given the crazy price I live in Australia and the price moves this well out of reach.

Can’t help but feel disheartened.

I can’t imagine anyone lurking around this forum would want to buy a DJI drone. I wish I would have known about this site before I made the investment because I too, am disheartened with all the issues I have encountered with DJI over the past few years. Good luck!

Well, all of this same song and dance played out when the original MP came out, but I bought in the first wave there as well. Guess what? I haven't had a *bleeping* problem one. The drone's been wonderful, reliable, amazing, and everything that I thought it would be when I bought it. I have always despised the thought of having to haul around crazy looking, gigantic backpacks and crates just to carry around a well-behaved and tech filled drone with a decent camera system, so the MP was like a godsend at the time and in many ways, still is. Forums are ALWAYS populated by crybabies, cynics, and generally maladjusted people that likely go looking for so many flaws in their lives that they remain perpetually unhappy. This isn't just a DJI thing... Now, am I saying that DJI might not put out a few duds here and there? Oh, of course not. But, what I am saying is that judging the entire product population based on forum feedback is likely a fool's choice. While the whiners are on here sharing their $#!@fest with the rest of us, those untold numbers without complaints or issues are out enjoying their drone.

Well, all of this same song and dance played out when the original MP came out, but I bought in the first wave there as well. Guess what? I haven't had a *bleeping* problem one. The drone's been wonderful, reliable, amazing, and everything that I thought it would be when I bought it. I have always despised the thought of having to haul around crazy looking, gigantic backpacks and crates just to carry around a well-behaved and tech filled drone with a decent camera system, so the MP was like a godsend at the time and in many ways, still is. Forums are ALWAYS populated by crybabies, cynics, and generally maladjusted people that likely go looking for so many flaws in their lives that they remain perpetually unhappy. This isn't just a DJI thing... Now, am I saying that DJI might not put out a few duds here and there? Oh, of course not. But, what I am saying is that judging the entire product population based on forum feedback is likely a fool's choice. While the whiners are on here sharing their $#!@fest with the rest of us, those untold numbers without complaints or issues are out enjoying their drone.
Well said sir, I for one have had no issues with my MP and truly love it...my phone on the other hand has been a pain in the butt for dropping the signal...be safe, fly smart

Reactions: hherbson
App disconnects while the RC stays connected are nearly always cable related.
I would guess DJI use the same terrible cables with M2 as they did with M1.

Thanks for reminding me, I did put it in Airplane mode as well.
I spent significant of time testing (3 batteries worth) on Saturday with no issues (no loss of connection to the drone). This was at the same location I had issues a few days earlier. I made sure I was in airplane mode and had already had made the USB debugging update change on my phone.

I didn't stray to far from my home point (4 or 5 hundred yards), but did go up to 400 feet and the connection strength was full the whole time. Hopefully these changes on the phone are what I needed to do, and I will continue to test and increase the distance.

Reactions: Classic flyer
I spent significant of time testing (3 batteries worth) on Saturday with no issues (no loss of connection to the drone). This was at the same location I had issues a few days earlier. I made sure I was in airplane mode and had already had made the USB debugging update change on my phone.

I didn't stray to far from my home point (4 or 5 hundred yards), but did go up to 400 feet and the connection strength was full the whole time. Hopefully these changes on the phone are what I needed to do, and I will continue to test and increase the distance.
Good luck...be safe, fly smart

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661