DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dispelling some myths for clarity

I do Pro photography as a hobby. I have had the Mavic Since early January. I have tried every setting! I have used +1 and 0 and -1, I have ran through the whole gambit of settings.

It's simple, the camera does not take great Photos! The video is usable and ok but the photos are lackluster and lack Dynamic Range, well they lack just about everything that makes a good DSLR picture pop.

Sorry but I have taken photos with My Nikon D500 next to the Mavic and beside that an iPhone 6 Plus. Even the iPhone 6 Plus blew the Mavic out of the water taking photos. Compared to the D500 the Mavs pictures looked like ****(Pre Edited).

Rob
Yea, we know. But still a lot of fun for the money.

I do Pro photography as a hobby. I have had the Mavic Since early January. I have tried every setting! I have used +1 and 0 and -1, I have ran through the whole gambit of settings.

It's simple, the camera does not take great Photos! The video is usable and ok but the photos are lackluster and lack Dynamic Range, well they lack just about everything that makes a good DSLR picture pop.

Sorry but I have taken photos with My Nikon D500 next to the Mavic and beside that an iPhone 6 Plus. Even the iPhone 6 Plus blew the Mavic out of the water taking photos. Compared to the D500 the Mavs pictures looked like ****(Pre Edited).

Rob

Rob,

How do you like your D500? I've been using a D5200 for a while and like much of what the D500 has to offer, but I've also heard some drawbacks. Just curious your take on it!?!

Does anyone really expect a $1,000 drone's camera to be comparable to a $2,000 DSLR with an APS-C sensor?

Keep in mind that 10 years ago, what now costs 300 bucks was a 2,000 dollar SLR. Just trying to keep things in perspective here. Digital SLR tech and advancements have come a long ways over the past decade.

The first cell phone with a built-in camera was manufactured by Samsung (Sharp) and released in South Korea in June of 2000. The SCH-V200 flipped open to reveal a 1.5-inch TFT-LCD, and the built-in digital camera was capable of taking 20 photos at 350,000-pixel resolution, which is 0.35-megapixels, but you had to hook it up to a computer to get your photos. The camera and the phone components were essentially separate devices housed in the same body.

People easily forget those early days, 0.35 megapixel camera.
And we all ***** about the 4k Mavic camera or even the 1080k.
Seems we have become a society of insatiable wants, never happy with what we have and demand the latest things, throwing away as useless those same things when something newer comes out.
Everyone has a camera now from Cell phone to Ipads.
The actual process of setting up shots from the subject matter, framing, composition, lighting etc is basically now just point and shoot and expect quality shots every time.
Still remember the days of actual Film rolls in cameras. 12 to 36 shots was all you had and you didn't waste them on frivolous subjects.
You had to actually pay to get them developed.
Now we just happily snap away and accumulate thousands of shots, the vast majority of which are less than ordinary.

I don' expect DSLR performance from a 1/2.3" sensor. That's not what I am talking about. I just want something resembling descent/normal signal processing quality, so that we at least get results that are representative of what the sensor can do.

It is very easy to see what I am talking about when shooting in RAW+Jpeg mode. While the Jpeg has the same NR filtering as when recording video, the DNG raw image has not.

So here is another example of the NR filter in action. Again shot on a day with flat light that triggers the NR filter, but this serves to better illustrate my point. The Jpeg is straight from the camera, and the DNG side has been mildly processed with a sensible amount of NR filtering and a quick color match.

jpeg-vs-dng.jpg

LMAO. One month later the thread is still going. OP dropped out after 1 day. Anywho, all you gotta do is a little modding to get what you need...

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: NinjaNut and UAVMan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captainhook