DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Distance to Home and Distance to aircraft

moulip

Reactions
Hi,

I'm not sure which icon is what. In the telemetry datas the D measure is the horizontal distance from home is that right ?
And the icon withe buddy and and the arrow is the distance from pilot to aircraft ? In that case, this second one is totally inaccurate. Actually, if I'm right when I take off and not going forward the D measure should remain null and the other one should increase. But often the icon with the buddy and the arrow will tell me that the aircraft is at 6000 meters when in reality it's next to me.
Can you shed some light here please ?

Reactions: Banned
Hi,

I'm not sure which icon is what. In the telemetry datas the D measure is the horizontal distance from home is that right ?
And the icon withe buddy and and the arrow is the distance from pilot to aircraft ? In that case, this second one is totally inaccurate. Actually, if I'm right when I take off and not going forward the D measure should remain null and the other one should increase. But often the icon with the buddy and the arrow will tell me that the aircraft is at 6000 meters when in reality it's next to me.
Can you shed some light here please ?
Distance from craft to pilot is measured by using the GPS position of your phone, if that’s out then it will show a wrong distance,

Distance from craft to pilot is measured by using the GPS position of your phone, if that’s out then it will show a wrong distance,

All right. Thank you for the explanation. So my guessings about the icons meaning were right ?

That can’t be right, what about those of us that use iPads without inbuilt GPS?

Yes location of Rc is that of your phone. When I set the location of my S6 on battery saving then its all over the place. When on device only (using actuall gps location not wifi and cell towers ) then its accurate.

Yes location of Rc is that of your phone. When I set the location of my S6 on battery saving then its all over the place. When on device only (using actuall gps location not wifi and cell towers ) then its accurate.
I still don’t understand! My iPad has no GPS & no SIM card, hence no “cell towers” to get positioning from. Surely the GPS location is obtained by the drones receivers?

Can you see the map and can you set rth to your location?
The map I download before I go out, the RTH is set by the drone everytime I take-off. The only thing I can’t do is set a new RTH location if I move while it’s flying, because I don’t have a new GPS location for my RC.

Hang on, let’s just check which drones we are using, mines’s a Mavic Air. Not sure if it makes any fundamental difference because DJI Go is common to all.

The map I download before I go out, the RTH is set by the drone everytime I take-off. The only thing I can’t do is set a new RTH location if I move while it’s flying, because I don’t have a new GPS location for my RC.

Then you do not have a location on the remote control. Only distance you will have is from the Home point to the drone. The Home point is recorded using the drones gps.

I have the mpp but I believe the remotes work the same

Mavic Pro here too.

I'l have to test if the Distance to Aircraft is accurate once I have enabled the GPS on my cellphone.
But to test that the drone has to be airborne and high enough because if it does not it's the VPS measure which is displayed.

Mavic Pro here too.

I'l have to test if the Distance to Aircraft is accurate once I have enabled the GPS on my cellphone.
But to test that the drone has to be airborne and high enough because if it does not it's the VPS measure which is displayed.

What phone are you using?

Many thanks for your time ! But looking at this screenshot, I assume that you do not have the GPS enabled on your cellphone because I don't think that your Mavic is 8215 M from you !?

Haha, what about the Home point distance:). That was a range test I did, its spot on :p

Haha, what about the Home point distance:). That was a range test I did, its spot on :p

Yes you are are right I did not pay attention to the Home Point !! So it's accurate !! How did you manage to achieve such range ?

Yes you are are right I did not pay attention to the Home Point !! So it's accurate !! How did you manage to achieve such range ?

It is a stock standard mpp. Where I live its open farmland with almost no interference. No wind also helped

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS