DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Distance

Hmmmm. Honestly, how many of us maintain a visual line of sight at all times with our aircraft? I live in a very rural area - so even if the AC fell to the ground, the chances of its hitting anything but a cornstalk would be slim to none. Yes, it makes for boring vids, but this afternoon I got lucky and happened upon four kids on ATV's at the back of our field - so I followed them:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Have fun, but SAFETY FIRST, everyone.
p.s. Welcome to the forum, Big Joe.

" Honestly, how many of us maintain a visual line of sight at all times with our aircraft?"

Not many honest posters can say that I don't think.

Last edited:
The Mavic Air uses 2.45 or 5GHz, but it t is in the wifi bands, so interference is an issue.

Quite apart from the legal stuff, 500m and visual line of sight, your Mavic Air will go out to about 1km max on 5GHz and a bit further on 2.45GHz over fields. Fly behind a building or trees and on 5GHz you will loose the signal straight away at almost any distance over 100-200m.

My MA seems to default to 5GHz and I haven't worked out how to lock it to 2.45GHz where range is usually better.

If I fly mine on a straight line I can keep it in sight to 500m, but take your eye off it for even a second and I can't find it again. Any further and I loose sight of it.

At any distance when you loose sight of your drone, it is very worrying, especially if you panic and can't work out which way it is pointing.

My advice would be to fly it fairly close for the first 10-20 flights and get used to how small it is. Also get used to using the map view on the display, or better still have a friend as a spotter.

Reactions: 495bigjoe
The Mavic Air uses 2.45 or 5GHz, but it t is in the wifi bands, so interference is an issue.

Quite apart from the legal stuff, 500m and visual line of sight, your Mavic Air will go out to about 1km max on 5GHz and a bit further on 2.45GHz over fields. Fly behind a building or trees and on 5GHz you will loose the signal straight away at almost any distance over 100-200m.

Yeah the general rule is higher the frequency, higher the data density, so the higher bandwidth, with a loss of range. But for drone use we do not need the higher bandwidth, we're only interested in range. Which means all things being equal, 5ghz is worse than 2.4ghz. Things become confused due to more likely interference on 2.4g & also SRRC countries that allow the higher FCC power outputs in 5ghz, but the lower CE power output on 2.4g.

Yeah the general rule is higher the frequency, higher the data density, so the higher bandwidth, with a loss of range. But for drone use we do not need the higher bandwidth, we're only interested in range. Which means all things being equal, 5ghz is worse than 2.4ghz. Things become confused due to more likely interference on 2.4g & also SRRC countries that allow the higher FCC power outputs in 5ghz, but the lower CE power output on 2.4g.
Hi,

You are correct the higher the bandwidth the higher the signal to noise ratio (stronger signal) has to be. However, this is not the reason that 2.45GHz is better than 5GHz, it is just down to loss. I doubt very much that DJI use a different bandwidth on the different bands, there wouldn't be any advantage. I suspect they use 20MHz bandwidth on both.

5GHz has much higher path loss;
5GHz has greater loss from foliage and buildings;
5GHz has higher loss from rain and snow;
The antennas are generally higher gain at 5GHz leading to a smaller beamwidth (you need to be a little more accurate where you point the controller).

5GHz is said to 'scatter' whereas 2.45GHz 'penetrates' (and becomes absorbed). Scatter is not good for a line of sight transmission system.

5GHz does have a couple of advantages, the noise is generally lower (it is signal to noise which matters, not signal strength) and the channels do not overlap. meaning less interference from other users.

If you have Bluetooth and wifi turned on in your phone then you are creating some local noise right next to the antennas on your controller. I have had to turn these off before (especially Bluetooth which operates at 2.45GHz).

In open sites 2.45GHz will out perform 5GHz every time, the noise out of built up areas is usually low on both bands. However, in the city or areas of lots of wifi, then 5GHz might be the better choice, although watch out for trees, bushes, buildings etc.

Reactions: SkyWizard
In open sites 2.45GHz will out perform 5GHz every time, the noise out of built up areas is usually low on both bands. However, in the city or areas of lots of wifi, then 5GHz might be the better choice, although watch out for trees, bushes, buildings etc.

As a comparison. mobile data 4g towers designed for long range(30km) use 700/800mhz, while city towers more likely to use 2300mhz. For long range it seems signal propagation just keeps improving the lower you go

" Honestly, how many of us maintain a visual line of sight at all times with our aircraft?"

Not many honest posters can say that I don't think.
As an older flyer, my eyes aren't what they used to be - so I not only try to keep the drone in sight, but more important (to me) I do make sure that I'm able to see all the air that I'm flying in i.e. I'm not over a ridge or behind a building. That way if there is a passing light-aircraft or helicopter - or some kids get a kite up - I can see the airspace is compromised and get back to base to keep out of the way ...

As a comparison. mobile data 4g towers designed for long range(30km) use 700/800mhz, while city towers more likely to use 2300mhz. For long range it seems signal propagation just keeps improving the lower you go

This is true, path loss and losses in trees/bushes is much less at 800/900MHz than at 2300Mhz. However, there is more bandwidth available at the higher frequencies and this is why they are used for short range links.

There is a direct relationship between signal to noise and bandwidth, the larger the signal to noise the higher the bandwidth that can be supported. If you are some distance from the cell tower then your signal to noise ratio is likely to be low so you could support a high bandwidth, hence it is better to use the lower frequency.

Slightly off topic but for our drones, I doubt that DJI changes the bandwidth, you still need x mbit/sec to stream HD video and for the control so when the signal to noise ratio gets low we see drop outs.

True Dat!
I once went to a large parking garage very late at night and just flew strait up. There was tons of interferance and eventually I lost conn and the drone started to rth. My thinking was that in the the worst case scenario, it would just fall into an empty lot. Looking back, it probly wasnt a good idea because anything can happen.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ