DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI: ADS-B on all over 250g...then what’s with a MA2 without it???

Zandian

Reactions
So, I did some searching (not exhaustive, I do have to work too) and I didn’t see comments about this question about the non ADS-B version of the MA2.

In 2019 DJI states That after January 1, 2020 all of their drones over 250g will have ADS-B:

So, either they plan to reverse that policy or there will be a version of the MA2 under 249g.

I doubt DJI can get the MA2 under 249g, but from the pics I’ve seen it does seem like they are using some of the same low density foam in the legs like they’re using in the mini.

If this has been figured out please let me know, otherwise I guess we will know next Monday.

Z

Reactions: KurtpH
DJI drones are sold all around the globe and different countries have different rules ,so all DJI is doing is giving the consumer choice,when it comes to having an ADS-B receiver or not

Last edited:
DJI drones are sold all around the globe and different countries have different rules ,so all DJI is doing is giving the consumer choice,when it comes to having an ADS-B receiver or not

You may be right and I may be reading too much into it (I’m a contracts lawyer, it’s in my nature) but in my read of their Elevating Safety Whitepaper page 25 (below) I do not see them making a U.S. only distinction. They clearly say “all”, they do not say “all in the U.S.”. That’s a pretty big difference. They do qualify only for those over 250g though. And this does not appear to be a U.S. only whitepaper because they mention all kinds of data, studies, etc from other countries. I see nothing in my quick read of the doc that indicates they are speaking only to a U.S. audience, but it’s always possible.

The white paper:

Z

You may be right and I may be reading too much into it (I’m a contracts lawyer, it’s in my nature) but in my read of their Elevating Safety Whitepaper page 25 (below) I do not see them making a U.S. only distinction. They clearly say “all”, they do not say “all in the U.S.”. That’s a pretty big difference. They do qualify only for those over 250g though. And this does not appear to be a U.S. only whitepaper because they mention all kinds of data, studies, etc from other countries. I see nothing in my quick read of the doc that indicates they are speaking only to a U.S. audience, but it’s always possible.

The white paper:

Z
i dont think it is a US only reason either,but many parts of the world will have their own drone regs ,and it does not mean that they will all adopt the same ones that are being looked at in the US at this time ,maybe DJI knows something that we dont know they are very adept at giving the UAV community what it requires

i dont think it is a US only reason either,but many parts of the world will have their own drone regs ,and it does not mean that they will all adopt the same ones that are being looked at in the US at this time ,maybe DJI knows something that we dont know they are very adept at giving the UAV community what it requires

agreed, DJI is always planning that next step ahead. How much of a standard is ADS-B in the aviation industry around the world?

Z

Reactions: old man mavic
agreed, DJI is always planning that next step ahead. How much of a standard is ADS-B in the aviation industry around the world?

Z
probably most of the manned aircraft around the world need to have the system installed both transmitting and receiving so they each know where the other is,but whether that will include drones is whats important from our point of view

The white paper:

Z
Since this was titled US Letter Policy White Paper I took it to just refer to the US

Reactions: pelagic_one
I'd guess the ADS-B functionality has been designed as an additional module that can readily be omitted from the drone, and the relevant firmware will act accordingly. As Old Man Mavic says, not every country is requiring it (yet), and it's one less thing to go wrong and draw power, albeit a tiny amount compared to the motors. It might only save a few cents per drone to omit, but at scale I guess that's enough to justify the expense of managing a slightly tweaked assembly line - basically removing one worker and their box of bits from the process.

I suspect those in the US and elsewhere that like DJI drones and value their freedoms, etc. enough will be buying on the grey market, so it's win a for consumer choice, a tick in the box for the politicians, and not a hope in hell for those that have to enforce compliance. So - all good, right?

The white paper:

Z
The distinction has nothing to do with the U.S.. All new DJI drone models above 250g, including the MA2, will have ADS-B . That doesn't preclude DJI making a version of the MA2 model without ADS-B.

I think Gadget Guy is spot on. But legal technicalities aside, I for one will be glad not to pay for a feature that is of little use to me (if any at all) and is not required by law in the country I live in.

If you read the test documents from the FCC, there are at least 2 different models, MA2UE3W with extra ADS-B RF circuit and antenna and MA2UE1N with "no this circuit", that's at least how I read it, could also be a typo from translation. So by my guess, 2 models, one with an advanced ADS-B, one with a basic ADS-B?

Top of page 4

Just my opinion, and I hope I don't get in worse trouble here... I'm already on probation for a comment about a certain country stealing ideas.... but DJI already has too many lawyers working with them... how many times do I have to check off on their web site or the operating system that I take responsibility for flying my drone? as for an avoidance system to keep my drone from hitting an air plane or helicopter... my hearing and sight is really not that bad... I can usually hear them coming before I even see them.... and I feel certain I can get the drone out of the way..... then again I guess the idea of personal responsibility is lost on some people...

Reactions: Gary R
Just my opinion, and I hope I don't get in worse trouble here... I'm already on probation for a comment about a certain country stealing ideas.... but DJI already has too many lawyers working with them... how many times do I have to check off on their web site or the operating system that I take responsibility for flying my drone? as for an avoidance system to keep my drone from hitting an air plane or helicopter... my hearing and sight is really not that bad... I can usually hear them coming before I even see them.... and I feel certain I can get the drone out of the way..... then again I guess the idea of personal responsibility is lost on some people...
it is not DJI that have decided to fit ADS-B it is trying to comply with proposed legislation that is being talked about at the moment

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like it would be impossible for the US government to ground all existing drones without both ADS-B receivers and remote identification. That would be like requiring all 1960's US muscle cars to adhere to the updated mileage standards of today.

I "assume" that our current drones will be grandfathered in, but yes, I also know what "assume" means when broken apart...

In Australia, only IFR aircraft are mandated to fit ADSB. The majority of the VFR aircraft in our local flying school, aeroclub and on the field do not have ADSB. If the drone only has ADSB "in" the drone operator may see a few aircraft when operating near a major airport but at country airstrips, you will see very little. It would make more sense to have ADSB out on the drone so that those flying IFR aircraft can see the naughty drones flying above the clouds and in the fog where they shouldn't. ADSB will be a great aid to aviation safety when all aircraft and drones have ADSB "in and out".

we would not need to have any of these measures in place if it was not for a few individuals who think its ok to fly above 400 ft or beyond VLOS there is enough regs in place now to keep manned aircraft and UAVs in their own designated airspace i have no issue with fitting any device to our drones that will prevent a manned aircraft being brought down if it was something that was happening

Reactions: mullern88
we would not need to have any of these measures in place if it was not for a few individuals who think its ok to fly above 400 ft or beyond VLOS there is enough regs in place now to keep manned aircraft and UAVs in their own designated airspace i have no issue with fitting any device to our drones that will prevent a manned aircraft being brought down if it was something that was happening
ADS-B only makes the drone pilot aware of any nearby aircraft with an ADS transponder. It does nothing to stop them from flying, nor does it transmit the drone's location to any other aircraft. So, if a deliberately reckless drone pilot is flying, it doesn't help one bit.

Reactions: dawgpilot
ADS-B only makes the drone pilot aware of any nearby aircraft with an ADS transponder. It does nothing to stop them from flying, nor does it transmit the drone's location to any other aircraft. So, if a deliberately reckless drone pilot is flying, it doesn't help one bit.
ADS-B broadcasts location data to aircraft and local ATC, it does not however intervene in piloting, it's not a dodge system.The B part stands for Broadcast.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan