DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Aeroscope / pilot identification

Can DJI Aeroscope detect Autel drones?
Not at the moment. But they’re easily updatable with the right handshake coding.

Thanks, Vic. Would Autel or DJI have to implement that handshake?
DJI would have to add it to the system, and would likely need to get that from Autel.

I wasn't aware until today that DJI was making Drone Detection systems for the FBI and others to track drones. My Mavic 3 was detected and id'd by the FBI using Aerial Armor and Aerial Armor's main detection system is DJI Aeroscope. DJI Aeroscope | Premier DJI Drone Detection Technology | Aerial Armor

Kind of like the guy who invented radar inventing the radar detector and cashing in on both sides of the coin. They knew everything, where I was standing, where I flew, how I flew who I was etc... Without disclosing pertinent information, I was not in any trouble nor did anything wrong, however as someone who frequents these forums I had no idea that this ability of tracking was already in play.
You say the FBI knew who you were. Did they contact you during or after the flight? Are you saying they had obtained your name even though there was nothing illegal or wrong with your flight?

It should be note that the DJI Aeroscope system cost $10ks for fixed installations and even the portable unit is expensive. I've actually worked with several FBI special operations units over the years, and let me tell you they do have the best "toys" in public safety/law enforcement. I was on a training activity with one response unit a few years ago and went to look at some high tech stuff in their clandestine looking all black response vehicle, and half of the stuff was still in its original packaging and not even opened... made my team colleagues drool in envy.

It should be note that the DJI Aeroscope system cost $10ks for fixed installations and even the portable unit is expensive. I've actually worked with several FBI special operations units over the years, and let me tell you they do have the best "toys" in public safety/law enforcement. I was on a training activity with one response unit a few years ago and went to look at some high tech stuff in their clandestine looking all black response vehicle, and half of the stuff was still in its original packaging and not even opened... made my team colleagues drool in envy.
So why are they bothering us with this remote ID garbage?

So why are they bothering us with this remote ID garbage?
Good question. One of the FAA's lawyers was asked in court in 2022 whether Remote ID would provide any new information that is not already available to law enforcement with existing technology and the lawyer said "no."

Good question. One of the FAA's lawyers was asked in court in 2022 whether Remote ID would provide any new information that is not already available to law enforcement with existing technology and the lawyer said "no."
So when the firmware update bakes on the faas remote id will aeroscope still be used? It's on different function so I wouldn't think that djis superior aeroscope would just go abandoned. The faas Remote id is a joke compared to aeroscope via passive interrogation.

So now the government is gonna steal $300 from us for this remote id sham they want us to install on each toy we fly.

Or they'll steal $300 from Mr and Mrs taxpayer to buy an aeroscope system that is already in place to do 90% of the task. Ask the faa if aeroscope will do the task or not and if yes go away and leave us and all these bastardized rules alone.

There's a cost analysis for them!

Last edited:
I wasn't aware until today that DJI was making Drone Detection systems for the FBI and others to track drones. My Mavic 3 was detected and id'd by the FBI using Aerial Armor and Aerial Armor's main detection system is DJI Aeroscope. DJI Aeroscope | Premier DJI Drone Detection Technology | Aerial Armor

Kind of like the guy who invented radar inventing the radar detector and cashing in on both sides of the coin. They knew everything, where I was standing, where I flew, how I flew who I was etc... Without disclosing pertinent information, I was not in any trouble nor did anything wrong, however as someone who frequents these forums I had no idea that this ability of tracking was already in play.
Yes, authorities in Canada have the ability also.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman