DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Air 2S for High-Resolution Photogrammetry - Seeking Advice

ani_rec

Reactions
Hello MavicPilots community,

I'm working on a research project that requires creating a high-resolution 2D map of an area to study a flowering species. We need to achieve a ground sampling rate of less than 2 sq cm per pixel, which means flying at a low altitude.

Our budget is limited, so we're considering using a DJI Air 2S instead of a Mavic 3 Enterprise. I'm aware that the Air 2S lacks a mechanical shutter, which could be a concern for this type of work.

I'd greatly appreciate your insights on the following:

1. Has anyone used the Air 2S for similar high-resolution mapping projects? What were your results?
2. How significant is the impact of the rolling shutter on image quality when flying at low altitudes?
3. Can the Air 2S, when paired with photogrammetry software (like DroneDeploy or others), produce sufficiently high-quality maps for our needs?
4. Are there any specific settings, techniques, or third-party apps you'd recommend to optimize results with the Air 2S for this kind of work?
5. Given our requirements, would you advise making compromises elsewhere in our budget to afford a Mavic 3 Enterprise instead?

We're open to using various software solutions, so any recommendations on that front would also be welcome.

Any suggestions, recommendations, or feedback based on your experiences would be immensely helpful.

Thank you in advance for your expertise!

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

I'm working on a research project that requires creating a high-resolution 2D map of an area to study a flowering species. We need to achieve a ground sampling rate of less than 2 sq cm per pixel, which means flying at a low altitude.
What kind of altitude are you thinking you'll fly at?
How low is low?
How tall is the plant species you are working with?
What area are you wanting to cover?
1. Has anyone used the Air 2S for similar high-resolution mapping projects? What were your results?
Others have used the Air 2s.
These might be helpful:

2. How significant is the impact of the rolling shutter on image quality when flying at low altitudes?
Perhaps at low heights ... a little testing should give you an idea.

3. Can the Air 2S, when paired with photogrammetry software (like DroneDeploy or others), produce sufficiently high-quality maps for our needs?
See the links above.
4. Are there any specific settings, techniques, or third-party apps you'd recommend to optimize results with the Air 2S for this kind of work?
DroneDeploy
According to the DD website, the Air2S only works with the iOS version of their app.
5. Given our requirements, would you advise making compromises elsewhere in our budget to afford a Mavic 3 Enterprise instead?
No ... the Enterprise model is overpriced.
The Phantom 4 pro or P4 pro V2 are very good for photogrammetry and have mechanical shutters.
Note .. you cannot load DroneDeploy on the integrated screen controllers

Hello from the Crossroads of America ani_rec.

Looks like you're getting good information so far. 👍

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Hello MavicPilots community,
Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

Wish I could help, but I have no expertise...

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lexchin