DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI announcement on May 15

Last edited:
Reactions: Drone Master
Thank God, finally. An action camera more overpriced then the GoPro. If they match or surpass gopro's specs plus a one inch sensor they might have something. But I believe this market is already saturated.

Reactions: Former Member
Could be the final nail in the coffin for the GoPro company. Its already struggling severely.

Reactions: Smalls
Could be the final nail in the coffin for the GoPro company. Its already struggling severely.

I dont think so. How do you figure? It could however be a nail in DJIs coffin if the product fails. GoPro just exceeded all its expectations with first quarter results. Sounds like GoPro is pushing the nails out, one at a time.

I hope they fight their way back up to the position they were in, but sometimes that takes alot of investor confidence, and some great new products.

Its really interesting to compare DJI and GoPro. Both really the leaders in their industries, due to innovation and competitive pricing.

Reactions: hactick and Smalls
I guess it makes sense for DJI to come out with the camera to go with their gimbal. But if you have to pair it up with the gimbal for image stabilization it won't come close to competing with go pro. I'm sure the camera will have Hasselblad's name on it which will make it even more expensive.

Since GoPro is clearly going to be the biggest competitor, I think we'll see the Osmo Action priced at $349 to match GoPro's pricing.

I guess it makes sense for DJI to come out with the camera to go with their gimbal. But if you have to pair it up with the gimbal for image stabilization it won't come close to competing with go pro. I'm sure the camera will have Hasselblad's name on it which will make it even more expensive.

Amazing how that works, isnt it? Might be a camera with Sony guts, but Hasselblad name tag, just like the M2P. Hey its a Hasselblad!

Reactions: Greg Smithski
GoPro financially is in a horrific state and clinging on by its fingernail.
The last quarter saw it make money...on one product alone.
If that products sales get hammered by a competent competitor they have nothing at all left to give.
If someone can release an action cam that'll go underwater and has a *manual white balance* i'll buy it immediately. To date, nobody has despite the fact its a fairly simply software implementation.

GoPro financially is in a horrific state and clinging on by its fingernail.
The last quarter saw it make money...on one product alone. If that products sales get hammered by a competent competitor they have nothing at all left to give. If someone can release an action cam that'll go underwater and has a *manual white balance* i'll buy it immediately. To date, nobody has despite the fact its a fairly simply software implementation.

Yes exactly! They made money on one product alone! Thats their bread and butter and people believe in GoPro. I do too.

I think a little broadmindedness is in order here. DJI is coming off a $147 fraud loss that happened in 2018. GoPro just had its best quarter in a long time. How can anyone look at that as a negative and a sign that company is in trouble?

Hasselblad and SONY have been collaborating since 2012.

Yes but since 2017 DJI owns controlling interest, essentially "owning" Hasselblad. What progress has DJI made in incorporating Hasselblad into its consumer drone business? Sounds like a squandered opportunity on DJIs part.

The first thing I thought was that Hass will be making some incredible new consumer drone cams, but that didnt happen. All that did happen is a rebadged Sony cam for the M2P, and a higher price tag.

Last edited:
If DJI jumps into action cam market, it needs a great low light picture quality. That is definitely a area where they can beat other action cams

The aperture on the DJI Sport is rumored to be F/2.8 which is the same as the GoPro Hero 7 series, so it may not have much better low light performance.

So. I think that the "unleash the other side" thing also refers to the fact that it has a lens-facing display, which makes it really nice when shooting selfie-kind of footage.
Also notice that there are two versions, one of which seems to have a knurled ring around the lens, giving it the impression that you can control something by rotating the lens. This could be anything like the Canon S110 series, which gave the user the ability to set either the aperture, the iso or the shutter time with that ring, orrrrr, it might indicate a zoom camera.

All in all, I think it makes perfect sense for DJI to move into this market:
  1. They are already developing small size cameras, so they have the knowledge
  2. It is an easy, low-investment kind of move to monetize the already available knowledge
  3. They may want to take a bit of revenge on GoPro, as GoPro moved onto DJI's turf by trying to make drones as well...

1. They (DJI) may want to take a bit of revenge on GoPro, as GoPro moved onto DJI's turf by trying to make drones as well...

Yes but that is only one aspect of GoPros and DJIs past, somewhat tumultuous, relationship. The Phantom 1 used GoPro cameras. DJI unceremoniously dumped GoPro in favor of making integrated cameras. Thats all fine and good, but that left GoPro in a precarious position. DJI made no attempt to further partner with GoPro in any of their future projects, with DJI thinking that they could do it better themselves. DJI succeeded in their goal, and have since used integrated, DJI produced cameras in all their drones.

So what happened to GoPro? At that point in time, drones were just being born. One of the only drones that could lift a GoPro was the Phantom. GoPro decided that since DJI no longer needed their services, they would have a go at making a drone alone. GoPro already had an absolutely stellar reputation for making cameras, and great customer service. It was a no brainer to buy one of their drones. Thus came the Karma. It was groundbreaking, revolutionary, and high quality. When it was finally announced, it took the world by storm. A GoPro drone with a removable GoPro gimbal-on-a-stick! Amazing right?

Well, along comes the Mavic, which, to me, is a Karma ripoff. DJI must have had a spy in GoPro, and stole the concept of a foldable drone with 4k camera. DJI improved on the design in some respects, but failed in others. DJI also announced the Mavics release much sooner than it was prepared to do, so it could compete with the Karma. Yes, the Mavic was a better drone, but it was not ready for mass production, but the Karma was. DJI took peoples money, held it for months, including mine, and were random in how they sent drones out. We are talking about thousands of customers.

So what am I getting at? The word "revenge" came into play, so if anyone is seeking revenge, it would be GoPro. DJI beat the Karma to market, wasnt ready to produce it, but id so just to beat GoPro.

I wish GoPro all the best if they ever wish to release a drone again. The unfortunate Karma was plagued with problems, and was recalled, and GoPro had to give up because of the rushed announcement of the Mavic. As for DJI, I hope they are able to overcome any setbacks they have had in the past year. They do make a great product, no doubt about it. But they are not the only company in the world who can.

Reactions: Smalls and JoostGT3
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet