DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI at CES in Las Vegas

Lets rephrase that a bit... :)

iPhone XS is 660 NITS - Controller is 1000 nits (1 nit = 1 cd/m2). That means an iPhone is just about exactly 2/3's as bight as the controller - which is quite a lot more than "barely half" as per your statement - which I would interpret as less than 50% as bright?

My chart-plotter on my boat is 1200 nits and that is just about reasonable in bright sunlight with a sun-cover. I would have wished it was 1500 though. The suncover (sunbrella top) covers the direct sun - but all the reflections from the water makes the issues. But for sailing without my sun top - I would really like 1500+ NITS.

So for most situations I think the controller at 1000 NIT will be ok - but in very bright scenes better brightness would be better (on the water in the sun - or in snow with sun) - which probably is why Crystal Sky is available in the Ultra model with 2000 NITS.

The intention was to indicate a little over half, sorry if you misinterpreted that. I think the OP gets the message without arguing about semantics. The crystal sky is a lot brighter than an iPhone XS and resolution is similar, I believe that is what he wanted to know.

After holding the display and comparing it to my iPhone 6s I see a difference but it’s not significant.

Are you talking quality or brightness? I wouldn't be surprised if quality is similar but the Crystal Sky is a lot brighter assuming it can actually reach it's advertised brightness. iPhone 6s brightness is only around 550 cd/m2.

Indoors you will have a hard time determining if a display is 600 nit or 1000 nit. You need the big powerful round thing in the sky to really mess up a display. Add some ground based reflections and then you know for sure....

But there are 2 things in general that makes a display usable outside. One is the brightness - the other is the coating of the front "glass" - so how reflective it is to "unwanted" light.

And if you then add a screen protector - you take a step backwards both in quality and brightness. But display can look better outside if it was a high gloss display you put a matte high quality screen protector on.

So IF the display has a good anti-reflective coating AND 1000 NIT's it might be worth it.

Apple in general are among the best at creating the best balance between screen brightness and reflective front. (one good reference : iPhone Xs Max OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out )

I saw Tom's Sales Pitch Review on YouTube and despite all his (far to many) nice words I'm not convinced. It is a nice to have - not a need to have. I think my "wish" would be a 5.5" 1500 NIT Crystal Sky. But 1000 NITS vs my iPhone XS Max 660-715 NIT is not a such a huge difference for most situations. But the only way to make sure is to try in real life.

allegedly this new controller, unlike the plus on the phantom 4 pro, can use third party apps like Lichi. Seems DJI have listened to the complaints regarding the P4Pro+ and made the needed changes.

More drone exhibitors from the CES floor today. Some of the commercial drones are enormous and used for firefighting and search and rescue applications add even have gasoline engines. Then there’s a lot of competitors to DJI but none of them are getting the same attention.
f2c1364a48b8ec2afdbf9069545bc532.jpg
dd82b30074d1ff61f4cae1501600631c.jpg

c2f834cd9d38e09a8d7f961a2034a770.jpg
5a28f695e5df06dbd4996540b826f200.jpg
42a49c554ecc95ea8bf6d5927cda2dec.jpg
3603495236e6ed9510647e60b6d47cc9.jpg
01cf07fd84e93f9765c76442dd026f58.jpg
21810617673b2585d6bb2631ef127f20.jpg
ab5fde02f06b7fcfe255fa3d9e503531.jpg
64edb9b9f08e22e6cedf8b22f7cd971f.jpg

Reactions: ff22
After walking around CES the entire morning, I grabbed some lunch with my wife. 2 other men asked if they could sit and eat with us because all of the other tables were taken. One of the men looked very familiar. Eventually, I noticed that his badge said David Copperfield! We talked for several minutes. 20190109_134217.jpg

After walking around CES the entire morning, I grabbed some lunch with my wife. 2 other men asked if they could sit and eat with us because all of the other tables were taken. One of the men looked very familiar. Eventually, I noticed that his badge said David Copperfield! We talked for several minutes.

cool :) maybe he can get drones over airports to disappear from history? :)

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Am I right to assume the new DJI controller runs some version of Android (anyone know which version presently)? Will it have some sort of cellular connectivity?

Wonder how stable it will be and whether there will be a software/firmware upgrade pathway?

(I’m thinking I’ll stick with my iPhone XS Max)

According to the website, it is running Android. It does have wifi for its internet connection. It's versions of the DJI application are custom to that controller and are supposed to be concurrent releases with the one to the general public.

Im interested im the drone to the right of the controller in the original picture that appears to be a light system. Does anyone have information on that?

After walking around CES the entire morning, I grabbed some lunch with my wife. 2 other men asked if they could sit and eat with us because all of the other tables were taken. One of the men looked very familiar. Eventually, I noticed that his badge said David Copperfield! We talked for several minutes.

Heathrow and Gatwick should hire him ;)

I've watched enough reviews on the smart controller to know that I want one. It looks excellent. It's $889 in Canada but only about $500 packaged with the drone - a great deal IMHO.

Am I right to assume the new DJI controller runs some version of Android (anyone know which version presently)?
Will it have some sort of cellular connectivity?

It's Android Nougat, 7.1.2.

Internet connection via WiFi to a phone sharing it's connection, portable router or something similar.

It would have been much more complicated and expensive add a built in mobile hardware, SIM slot and antennas. Mobile network standards vary a lot over the world and either DJI would have to release separate versions for different markets or they would have had to add a very flexible cellular module and antenna system supporting all the frequencies used globally. Add to that waiting for local approvals from operators before releasing stuff and so on...

IMHO it is a good deal. A Mavic Controller is $300 USD, a 5.5" Crystal Sky is $469 USD. Having them put together in a slick package would normally increase the price, but in this case it saves you ~$177. On top of that, bundled with the drone it will be even cheaper, probably by another $100-150 USD. Seems pretty good to me. This has been rumored for a while now and I have been anxiously awaiting it - I am very pleased to see such a reasonable price, at least in my opinion.
I agree, and was going to get it as it becomes available. But, I have been using my 11" iPad Pro to fly my Mavic 2 Pro, and this new controller, nice as it is, will have 1/4 the screen area at 5.5". I got used to seeing a lot when I switched to the iPad from my iPhone. I don't think I want to go back to seeing less.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian