DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Avata

Personally, I’m going to wait.

Two reasons, first was the debacle with the mini 3 launch. They may or may not have teething issues that need to be sorted out. But I’m not willing to risk my money to find out.

Second, as someone with an A2S and no fpv, I want to either use my existing controller with the new goggles, or get a package with goggles and a stick controller at least. I don’t want to use the MC. Currently, you have to pay for the MC, then pay extra for a stick controller. You can’t even buy the things separately, because the new goggles aren’t sold by themselves, if you want the new goggles, it only comes in some combo that includes the MC, and I don’t want a $200 controller that’s just going to collect dust.

Now if you are cool with using just the MC and not being able to go full manual, then you can ignore the second point. But that is basically taking away the whoop from cinewhoop. Doesn’t make any sense to me.
Teething issue I don't mind, as long as they're software/firmware issues, and not hardware issues. If it doesn't work quite right for a while...it's not like I'll only have one FPV drone. Personally, it might be sort of fun to be a beta tester, but you have to have a certain kind of sick mind to view it that way...

;-)

The Mini-3 doesn't have any seriously new features that I seriously want. Anything camera related, is largely irrelevant to me, above some minimum level. I want to get the Mini-3 eventually, just so I have "Mini-completeness" in my little fleet, but there's not the slightest bit of urgency around that.

You can sensibly argue that the Avata is targeted primarily toward existing DJI FPV owners, then rich people, or people willing to go FPV for their first drone. Or upgrade from a non-DJI FPV. As an existing FPV owner, the Pro View package is exactly what I want. I already have the full FPV controller. I want both the Motion Controller and the new goggles anyhow.

YMMV

But if you're not in the target market...you're not. That doesn't make the marketing decision a mistake.

Two reasons, first was the debacle with the mini 3 launch. They may or may not have teething issues that need to be sorted out. But I’m not willing to risk my money to find out.

Good point !
Even I momentarily forgot this issue over several recent DJI model releases, when seeing the positive YT review vids.

Though I don't think (for some reason) this bird is going to have quite so many issues.
Cinewhoop FPV type tech has been pretty much trouble free for years . . . you do have to consider the extra tech / software and flight type 'improvements' DJI have built into the Avata, as compared to more basic Cinewhoop type aircraft though.

That's where any little niggling type things might appear with time.
The reviews I saw seemed pretty thorough, but only a little time will tell for sure.

Good point !
Even I momentarily forgot this issue over several recent DJI model releases, when seeing the positive YT review vids.

Though I don't think (for some reason) this bird is going to have quite so many issues.
Cinewhoop FPV type tech has been pretty much trouble free for years . . . you do have to consider the extra tech / software and flight type 'improvements' DJI have built into the Avata, as compared to more basic Cinewhoop type aircraft though.

That's where any little niggling type things might appear with time.
The reviews I saw seemed pretty thorough, but only a little time will tell for sure.
I don’t recall any of the early reviewers pointing out technical issues with the mini 3 at roughly the same stage of product release (within days), but they surfaced a bit later. And the way DJI dealt with those that reported issues early on, well, it just didn’t inspire confidence.

Not saying it will have problems, and actually hope it doesn’t. But not wanting to risk being the one to find out and deal with it.

Reactions: Mavic lover
I'm assuming the Avata will geo-lock you out from flying in the DJI warning/restricted areas (in the USA) like all the other DJI drones, anyone know? If so that will probably be a big reason NOT to get an Avata.

Agree with you, a Cine without the "Whoop" is not much fun..... I wish DJI would be more flexible with how they sell and package their products in general. I get the reason why they lean so heavily on bundles because it makes them more money, but I'm with you, the last thing I need is an extra controller sitting around collecting dust.

Reactions: SoCal2S
I got one, haven't flown it yet cause I don't wan't to crash it but I'm practicing manual FPV in Liftoff simulator as suggested by many in FPV forums. People say it's quite easy to fly it and that it withstands a lot of abuse... As soon as I can go to an open area I'll find out.

We picked one up, mainly for fun but will be handy for property shoots and video work as well.

Flys really well with the MC, is a pain they don't do a pack with the standard stick controller but will get one at some point.
Getting 15 mins+ out of a battery, and headset battery is easily lasting through 3 drone batteries.

Head strap is crap on Goggles 2 though, the loops are smaller than the Goggles V2 so can't get aftermarket straps yet and the original does not go down small enough for wife to be comfortable with, had to jury-rig it with bulldog clips.

Reactions: Torque
FYI - as @dirkclod pointed out, there is now a new forum for FTP drones which includes the Avata. Check it out

You will need to "sign-up" as a new member, but you can use the same username and password.

FYI - There is now a new forum for FPV drones which includes the Avata. Check it out

You will need to "sign-up" as a new member, but you can use the same username and password.

Reactions: KLRSKIR
I have been watching some videos on Youtube and it looks pretty darn cool. Is anyone thinking of jumping in and picking one up?
‘I've had my DJI Phantom 4 V2 Pro since it came out. I also have the Mini 1. The only reason I was going to take the leap to the Avata was for the Goggles. I would like to get up close and personal to Indian ruins and petroglyphs in Arizona. It puts less stress on the environment than hiking through the brush to get to them. Was going to put the goggles on my Wife with the IPad plugged into the goggles for me to navigate. This way I can show her why I’m spending our ‘going out to nice dinners’ money. Will the new goggles or even the previous version goggles work on anything other than the Avata? I really need that 1080p ish display before I could spend that kind of money.

Reactions: Torque
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J