DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI ban: What happens to the drone I already own?

franklinskite

Reactions
HR 2864 requires the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to add DJI to its “Covered List.” If DJI is added to this list, the FCC would no longer be able to approve new equipment authorizations for DJI products or software in the US. The agency could also create a process to revoke existing authorizations.

This means no new DJI products would be approved in the US going forward, cutting you off all the latest innovations by the company. And the DJI drones currently approved for the US may also be grounded in the future. The bill could also add any software capable of operating on DJI products to the Covered List, including software produced by US software developers, subjecting them to the same restrictions.

This type of action by the FCC would mean the federal government could decide at any point that you are no longer allowed to fly the DJI drones or software that runs on DJI drones you have already purchased, no matter if you are flying for business, public safety, or even recreationally. The drone maker estimates that the financial impact of such a ban could be as high as $116 billion.’

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Angry
Reactions: careless
I'm pretty pessimistic about the situation

from everything I've read, the process of revoking FCC licenses for existing DJI models might take weeks, or even months. And it's not certain it will happen, although the momentum sure seems to be pushing that direction

I haven't read or watched anything from Vic Moss since Sunday. Things have really snowballed in the last 3-5 days so I'd be curious if he's still "cautiously optimistic" about the continued functionality of existing drones

I'm pretty pessimistic about the situation

from everything I've read, the process of revoking FCC licenses for existing DJI models might take weeks, or even months. And it's not certain it will happen, although the momentum sure seems to be pushing that direction

I haven't read or watched anything from Vic Moss since Sunday. Things have really snowballed in the last 3-5 days so I'd be curious if he's still "cautiously optimistic" about the continued functionality of existing drones
The political climate across the board — and around the world — is nuts. In one sense, it’s best to expect the worst and hope for the best. But the best bet would be if everyone figured out how to make some noise. Mount protests. You can’t expect dji to get involved with domestic U.S. politics. The noise must come from pissed-off, real Americans.

Since I can’t seem to see or hear about some or any governmental entities spying on what I do with a flying camera, I’ll keep flying all my DJI products until they start shooting them out of the sky. Charge me with some crime, that’s what keeps the attorneys fed. There are other hobbies out there that I can return to if all else fails. Other things to concern myself with besides watching what some group of politicians are up to that don’t know the difference between black or white.

Since I can’t seem to see or hear about some or any governmental entities spying on what I do with a flying camera, I’ll keep flying all my DJI products until they start shooting them out of the sky. Charge me with some crime, that’s what keeps the attorneys fed. There are other hobbies out there that I can return to if all else fails. Other things to concern myself with besides watching what some group of politicians are up to that don’t know the difference between black or white.
Exactly. Far bigger fish to fry here right now than me worrying about an FCC secret agent taking me down at my park.
Fly common sense TRUST and that’s enough. They can come and get mine before I let this stuff ruin my flight time. Vote accordingly. Just my opinion.

[...] the continued functionality of existing drones
Nothing about H.R. 2864 affects the continued functionality of existing drones.

But, revoking DJI's FCC licence, thereby removing permission to transmit radio signals on those reserved frequencies, would make it illegal.

It's like operating a HAM radio without a licence, or a police scanner. You can use it all you want to receive and listen to radio signals. You're just not allowed to transmit without a licence.

The equipment itself retains all of its functionality to receive/transmit regardless of how the laws change. The radio equipment, the drone and controller's ability to transmit/receive, will continue to operate as it always did.

Just don't get caught using it without a licence once that's considered to be illegal.

I'm just a Canadian, and thankfully not (yet) affected by your lunatic fringe Gov't clowns. But if I was you, I'd get in touch with my Congressional Member and educate them on how drones work, or at least demand to know how exactly these things currently represent such a severe espionage threat to warrant such an extreme ban.

How are drones (only DJI drones) worse than your average cellphone with Siri, Alexa, and Hey Google tracking every moment of your life?

my take on that:

if the FCC revokes the current licenses for DJI drones, they would almost certainly order DJI to install a software patch to the DJI Fly app that accomplishes the grounding. DJI won't refuse that order because they will still want the option of future access to American markets (or even possible current access thru proxies). So, the next time your Fly app logs on to DJI that patch would be uploaded

it's fine to say, "well then, I just won't connect with DJI". But the reality is that the Fly app already has code built in that will effectively ground your drone if you haven't logged in within 30-90 days

I mean, when was the last time you flew a drone with thought control? It takes a DJI app to fly a DJI drone. And if the FCC is serious, they'd probably enforce the ban with the Litchi app as well

Reactions: franklinskite
it's fine to say, "well then, I just won't connect with DJI". But the reality is that the Fly app already has code built in that will effectively ground your drone if you haven't logged in within 30-90 days
I suppose that's possible, but app updates are optional. I get a notice telling me an update is "available", asking me if I want to install it now or later. I've never been forced to install an unwanted update.

Logging in to your DJI account, or creating a new account to initialize your new drone, is a required step to acknowledge that you accept DJI's Terms and Conditions of Use, which you really should take the time to read fully someday.

Just like the Terms and Conditions which you initially accepted (and probably never looked at) when initially creating an account in order to post on this forum, those terms are there to protect DJI from liability in the event you should ever choose to do something negligent or illegal with your drone.

I suppose that's possible, but app updates are optional. I get a notice telling me an update is "available", asking me if I want to install it now or later. I've never been forced to install an unwanted update.

Logging in to your DJI account, or creating a new account to initialize your new drone, is a required step to acknowledge that you accept DJI's Terms and Conditions of Use, which you really should take the time to read fully someday.

Just like the Terms and Conditions which you initially accepted (and probably never looked at) when initially creating an account in order to post on this forum, those terms are there to protect DJI from liability in the event you should ever choose to do something negligent or illegal with your drone.
if DJI is compelled by the FCC to upload the patch to all their drones, it won't be optional. It will just happen

there has already been discussion about the flight restrictions built into the code of the fly app if you haven't logged in (30 meters height; 50 meters distance) within 90 days. My guess is that at minimum those restrictions wouldn't be lifted

sure, I can see ways that people can possibly keep flying even after the ban, especially older drones that don't have Remote ID

besides all that, and I've mentioned it before, most of us aren't inclined to violate a federal law dealing with national security. Yeah, the justification for the law is bogus and illogical and generally BS, but it would still be the law.

I've mentioned it before, most of us aren't inclined to violate a federal law dealing with national security.
Yes, most of us take care to always respect the law, and most of us aren't inclined to do stupid stuff with our drones. Most of us are the ones who even bother to be aware of the laws which already exist, or will soon exist. And yet it's those very same most of us who are then most burdened by those ever more restrictive laws.

The ignoramuses out there who just don't care, or those who are actually intent on using a drone to do real espionage, certainly aren't ever going to register their drone, or sit for a Part 107 exam, fit remote ID to their drone, or ever connect it to the internet to receive an update that might cripple the drone's functionality.

I've also mentioned before, dropping grenades from your drone, or dropping them from your apartment's balcony, both are already illegal. Instead of banning grenades, let's ban drones and balconies instead! Similarly, espionage is already illegal. Exactly how are DJI drones supposedly being used to commit espionage, in ways that wouldn't be equally possible using an American-made Skydio drone?

What exactly is the issue that's meant to be solved by this proposed US ban on DJI drones?

I have zero trust in the guberment or dji. And I really mistrust the entire app culture and ecosystem at this point.
And yet you trust Apple's iOS v13.5 running on your phone?

If it’s illegal, apps will be pulled from the phone’s App Store.
The Android version of DJI's Fly app hasn't been available for Android users via the Android app store for quite a while already due to the long delays imposed by their app certification process. Instead, DJI's updates are always immediately accessible directly from DJI's website, or via the app itself, if you choose to upgrade.

Even my grocery store app won’t run these days unless I update, which I refuse to do.
You can choose to update your grocery app, or not. It's up to you. Declining the update means you won't benefit (or suffer) from the upgrade.

Lots of speculation going on here. Until the law passes BOTH houses and assuming the president signs it, only THEN will we know what and who is affected. Articles citing "It could" are meaningless. Yeah, it COULD say you have to stand on one leg and spit nickles. It COULD say any number of bull puckey things. None of that BS matters. It's what it DOES SAY that matters. Until then, the sky is NOT falling...

my take on that:

if the FCC revokes the current licenses for DJI drones, they would almost certainly order DJI to install a software patch to the DJI Fly app that accomplishes the grounding.

I don't think there is any precedent for that. There is nothing in the bills that were introduced that even came close to mentioning doing that.

And if the FCC is serious, they'd probably enforce the ban with the Litchi app as well
Litchi would not be a FCC issue. Litchi doesn't have a FCC license. It's the aircraft and the R/C that are licensed. If equipment loses the FCC approval, it doesn't matter if they use Litchi or any other 3rd party app.

if DJI is compelled by the FCC to ....

If it’s illegal ....
All of your many posts on this topic begin with IF ... followed by illogical imaginings.
Your arguments are all based on assuming the exaggerated assumptions you are making, made worse by a poor understanding of the technology and how things work..
You've convinced each other to believe a whole bunch of nonsense for which there is no factual basis.
Wait to get some facts before getting so excited about things that are unlikely to happen.

my take on that:

if the FCC revokes the current licenses for DJI drones, they would almost certainly order DJI to install a software patch to the DJI Fly app that accomplishes the grounding. DJI won't refuse that order because they will still want the option of future access to American markets (or even possible current access thru proxies). So, the next time your Fly app logs on to DJI that patch would be uploaded

I mean, when was the last time you flew a drone with thought control? It takes a DJI app to fly a DJI drone. And if the FCC is serious, they'd probably enforce the ban with the Litchi app as well
Its over

Reactions: franklinskite
All of your many posts on this topic begin with IF ... followed by illogical imaginings.
Your arguments are all based on assuming the exaggerated assumptions you are making, made worse by a poor understanding of the technology and how things work..
You've convinced each other to believe a whole bunch of nonsense for which there is no factual basis.
Wait to get some facts before getting so excited about things that are unlikely to happen.
2 or 3 weeks ago it was "it will never make it out of the House". Well, it made it out of the House as part of the NDAA...so now, it's "it will never make it out of the Senate". I guess next it will be "the President may veto the bill"

it used to be: 'it's unlikely they'll ban DJI drones". Then it was "they may ban future DJI drones models and not grant them new FCC licenses, but they won't ban current drones". Now, we're hearing that the FCC has a process to revoke the licenses for current drones if it seems 'warranted'

if we would have had any kind of good news about this over the last month, I might be willing to credit your optimism. But so far, ll the news has been negative and all the momentum has been against us

one final thing: you've spent a lot of time here crapping on people who don't share your opinion. I suggest if our posts bother you so much you should avoid reading them

I just read that a First Responder alliance has been real active in lobbying Senators. Maybe that will help

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efe