DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Care Refresh "flyaway" definition?

Yes I agree I went with state farm they don't care if it's pilot error or not it's covered even if it gets stolen its coverd also aney accessorys if perchested at the same time you bought the drone 1 year $ 75.00 dollars they send you the amount you paid for it
Are you saying that there's a zero deductible for the coverage?

I am about to try the refresh program. It was sold to me by DJI advertisement as what someone else referred to as an insurance policy. If you break, lose or flyaway they will replace it for $40. Sounded great to me as I am an armature flyer and figured I would do one of those. After I bought the policy I completely read it (yeah I know, should have read it before). The contract said that any attempts to open the drone would negate the contract (why they put it together with screws I don't know). I crashed it 3 times in the first 3 months (none since) and I was able to fix it myself. Now something that has nothing to do with the crashes Happened. My gimbal motors are dyeing and every flight I get msg. - Gimbel motor overload. When I bring the AC back the gimbal is vibrating and moaning. A tech today diagnosed it and said to return it under the refresh program even though I had opened it up. We will see what happens, I sent it out today.

I spoke to a live person at DJI on 3/17 and told him my story and he said to just mail back the drone and they would send me a new one under the refresh insurance. I also got an e-mail from DJI saying they don't care if I return it smashed, it just can't be "LOST". Here is the e-mail:

Tom (Support)

2021年3月19日 GMT+815:57

Dear Rscheff2,

Sorry to misunderstood you.

As long as your Mavic Mini is not lost, even if it is broken into pieces, if you can send it back to us, we still will replace it under DJI Care Plan. You don't worry.
Thank you for choosing DJI.
Best Regards,
Tom

This e-mail appears to say that flyaways are not covered. I am not sure what to think, but I think I will sign up for another year.

State Farm Personal Property policy. $60/year covers all of my aircraft, camera/video gear, my ham gear, and my collection of vintage radios 1915-1925. Could have added other stuff to the list for no additional fee. Why mess w/DJI and flight files and all that?
What is your deductible under state farm?

My experience with DJI is that IF IT IS pilot error and YOU crash the drone and can't recover the drone (as in my case - under about 20 ft of muddy water) - all bets are off and if you want - they will replace the drone at cost.

I've never had to deal with DJI on a recovered drone sent to them for repair / replacement under Refresh.

For the same $$$$, I'd say 3rd Party Insurance is a better way to go - yet that does depend on the policy and what it covers. Price for DJI / 3rd Party is about same. Those I know who have 3rd Party are happier and get their money faster than dealing with DJI.
You’re exactly right. I just found this out the hard way myself actually twice now. One drone in the top of the tree still was never covered under flyway even though it flew away. Then recently they just didn’t cover my air to US policy because someone there failed to respond to my request for transferring it to A another ma2s I exchange for. I was told it was done but it was not!! now I’m out another 1300. This is crazy and it’s not some business it’s from. They’ve defrauded me now around 2100 $$ total. But nobody cares.

• Wow
Reactions: tlswift58
Sorry to hear this @Eaglesky77 !
Now, I don’t believe what @tlswift58 is correct under the new Flyaway coverage. It doesn’t matter if it’s your fault or not. If your drone is lost (eg, in a tree), it will be replaced for a fee if you have Care Refresh.

Eaglesky, your case seems to be due to clerical error when transferring your coverage from an Air to a Mavic, which I didn’t think was even possible. Still annoying if they told you it was possible.

Thanks all, some interesting and differing insights.

That seems quite relevant - did this incident happen since added flyaway coverage or was it before?
Not it did not. About a year and half ago. DJI did add the "flyaway" feature later on.

Yet for same money (or maybe less) some 3rd Party Insurance to me is better than what DJI covers and less hassle from friends who have used like State Farm. Yet, that is a personal call whether "DJI" is the way you want to go or not. Some people here on the forum have had good / decent luck when dealing with DJI and then others it's been something of a nightmare.

I have no stake in either, but have dealt with DJI in the past and my experience was not a great one - maybe blame it on Covid. DJI did!

Apparently from all the people that suggest a regular insurance carrier, it only covers recreational flights but not commercial use. I can get Electronics coverage with my insurance company that will cover computers, laptops, drones, and all as long as I don't mention a drone "business". But since I fly recreationally as well, it does cover things like fire, theft and the like for all of my electronics. It's just an umbrella policy for electronics.
My homeowners - USAA - will not cover drones - period. They will cover my DSLR's / etc - but no drones.

State Farm I think is for rec pilots mainly, as when doing commercial - you will need a lot of coverage that would not be included in a rec policy. I've seen some crazy prices on commercial - about $75 a month or more; but it has some high $$$$ amounts for liability / etc. - which a business does need in our current litigious atmosphere.

From what I understand, the personal articles policy from those like State Farm is only Hull insurance. There is no liability whatsoever so it would only cover recreational flights. Commercial flights normally require liability insurance from a specialized carrier and can get pretty pricey.

From what I understand, the personal articles policy from those like State Farm is only Hull insurance. There is no liability whatsoever so it would only cover recreational flights. Commercial flights normally require liability insurance from a specialized carrier and can get pretty pricey.
Liability might not be required for recreational flights, but it's still a big consideration.

For me, potential liability is the major concern that keeps me flying carefully and cautiously. It's one thing to lose a drone worth $1000 or so. It's another thing altogether to cause a situation that results in $1,000,000 or so in lawuits. (Drone hits windshield of school bus, driver panics, .collides with gasoline tanker truck ..) Very low probability, but very high consequences.

Ok, now that I've been prompted to think about it, I'm going to look at liability coverage alternatives. Anyone have suggestions?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929