DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Care Refresh "flyaway" definition?

Altitude000

Reactions
I've just had my drone repaired by DJI and it's on the way back from NL now. Had an email last night giving the option to sign up to Care Refresh within 72 hours which I note now includes "Flyaway" cover.

Apart from the obvious definition going by the term itself, has anyone seen a more comprehensive breakdown of what that means - I thought I found one on a DJI page at one point but can't seem to now?

I'm wondering if it's a catchall term for "cannot return the drone" or it really does only cover if lost due to being unable to return because of wind velocity or signal loss or whatever and you can't find the crash site. Specifically I'm wondering if, for example, I hit a tree and crash into a river (an accident, but one where the drone is not recoverable), can I still claim under that policy as long as I did the RC binding and can show the logs?

Appreciate any insight, thank you. I'd submit a ticket to DJI but not sure they would answer in time.

I suspect pilot error would not be covered under the flyaway definition, it would probably need to be some sort of product failure causing the loss where you couldn't return the AC with the refresh claim. It would be at the discretion of DJI after they examined the flight logs.

Care Refresh is still worthwhile as you can replace the drone when it's damaged irrespective of the cause.

Reactions: tlswift58
It's pretty simple, you lose the drone, you pay the deductible, they send you a new drone. It's not a warranty, it's insurance.

Same as the prior policy when you had to return the drone, but with less deductible. You crash it for any reason and you can send them the drone, they give you a new one..No questions asked, no looking at logs.

My experience with DJI is that IF IT IS pilot error and YOU crash the drone and can't recover the drone (as in my case - under about 20 ft of muddy water) - all bets are off and if you want - they will replace the drone at cost.

I've never had to deal with DJI on a recovered drone sent to them for repair / replacement under Refresh.

For the same $$$$, I'd say 3rd Party Insurance is a better way to go - yet that does depend on the policy and what it covers. Price for DJI / 3rd Party is about same. Those I know who have 3rd Party are happier and get their money faster than dealing with DJI.

Reactions: Steel63 and halifax
Thanks all, some interesting and differing insights.
My experience with DJI is that IF IT IS pilot error and YOU crash the drone and can't recover the drone (as in my case - under about 20 ft of muddy water) - all bets are off and if you want - they will replace the drone at cost.
That seems quite relevant - did this incident happen since added flyaway coverage or was it before?

• Sad
I'm wondering if it's a catchall term for "cannot return the drone"
It's a sloppy catchall term to cover any drone that cannot be recovered for whatever reason.

It's unfortunate that DJI is encouraging new flyers to believe that drones sometimes just fly away.
Drones may be lost for several different reasons, but there is really is no such thing as a true flyaway.

• Haha
Thanks all, some interesting and differing insights.

That seems quite relevant - did this incident happen since added flyaway coverage or was it before?

Nope - happened last June 2020. I didn't even try to get it under Refresh as it was my fault flying into the bridge (very bright sun that day and hard to see anything on cell phone screen) and not recoverable from water.

Had I had 3rd Party Insurance - they probably would have covered it even if my fault.

Nope - happened last June 2020. I didn't even try to get it under Refresh as it was my fault flying into the bridge (very bright sun that day and hard to see anything on cell phone screen) and not recoverable from water.

Had I had 3rd Party Insurance - they probably would have covered it even if my fault.
The flyaway coverage is a recently added option. I'm sure it wasn't available back in June. As I understand it, it's like Care/Refresh and doesn't matter what the fault (although if it can be proven to be a malfunction, it should be covered free of charge under warranty). Just a larger deductible from returning the drone after a crash.

Reactions: ckoerner
Flyaway, what I have understood a term used means: I lost my drone and don't understand Why?
Check out the search function, upper right hand corner, do a query, type in Flyaway. See what comments you get
on that subject.

State Farm Personal Property policy. $60/year covers all of my aircraft, camera/video gear, my ham gear, and my collection of vintage radios 1915-1925. Could have added other stuff to the list for no additional fee. Why mess w/DJI and flight files and all that?

State Farm Personal Property policy. $60/year covers all of my aircraft, camera/video gear, my ham gear, and my collection of vintage radios 1915-1925. Could have added other stuff to the list for no additional fee. Why mess w/DJI and flight files and all that?
Interesting... in AZ, despite everything insurance wise being with SF, they would not cover my drones.

Interesting... in AZ, despite everything insurance wise being with SF, they would not cover my drones.
I would try and find out if that’s something specific to AZ, since it seems available from State Farm in other states, or check with another agent or two in your area and see if you get consistent responses, or if it is AZ specific for some reason.

Added my MA2 to our Allstate policy (WA). My guy had to research it, and settled on adding it under Sports Equipment. I made sure to give him the SN. He also had to raise my Rental Property amount a bit. All in all, I think it costs me $50-$60 per year for $2,000 in coverage. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Eaglesky77
I've just had my drone repaired by DJI and it's on the way back from NL now. Had an email last night giving the option to sign up to Care Refresh within 72 hours which I note now includes "Flyaway" cover.

Apart from the obvious definition going by the term itself, has anyone seen a more comprehensive breakdown of what that means - I thought I found one on a DJI page at one point but can't seem to now?

I'm wondering if it's a catchall term for "cannot return the drone" or it really does only cover if lost due to being unable to return because of wind velocity or signal loss or whatever and you can't find the crash site. Specifically I'm wondering if, for example, I hit a tree and crash into a river (an accident, but one where the drone is not recoverable), can I still claim under that policy as long as I did the RC binding and can show the logs?

Appreciate any insight, thank you. I'd submit a ticket to DJI but not sure they would answer in time.
This would mean...If you have a flyaway with the Mavic Air 2 or Mini 2, the drone is uncontrollable and flies and crashes, as long as the records show something is wrong, DJI will replace it with a fully functional drones.

This would mean...If you have a flyaway with the Mavic Air 2 or Mini 2, the drone is uncontrollable and flies and crashes, as long as the records show something is wrong, DJI will replace it with a fully functional drones.
DJI already explained what it covers on their website

What Does DJI Care Refresh Include?

DJI Care Refresh covers multiple scenarios, including drones lost during flight, water damage, collisions, and dropping, and offers you additional services like an Express Option, free shipping, and Exclusive Service.

DJI already explained what it covers on their website

What Does DJI Care Refresh Include?

DJI Care Refresh covers multiple scenarios, including drones lost during flight, water damage, collisions, and dropping, and offers you additional services like an Express Option, free shipping, and Exclusive Service.
Yes, I know. I was giving him a simple answer, not having to go onto a separate website. All he wanted was a definition...so I gave it to him.

Yes, I know. I was giving him a simple answer, not having to go onto a separate website. All he wanted was a definition...so I gave it to him.
The problem with your definition is that is about a 99% never happens. And in the 1% it does, that would be a warranty claim and not a care refresh. ;)

Apparently from all the people that suggest a regular insurance carrier, it only covers recreational flights but not commercial use. I can get Electronics coverage with my insurance company that will cover computers, laptops, drones, and all as long as I don't mention a drone "business". But since I fly recreationally as well, it does cover things like fire, theft and the like for all of my electronics. It's just an umbrella policy for electronics.

Reactions: SkyPath Studios

I've never had to deal with DJI on a recovered drone sent to them for repair / replacement under Refresh.

For the same $$$$, I'd say 3rd Party Insurance is a better way to go - yet that does depend on the policy and what it covers. Price for DJI / 3rd Party is about same. Those I know who have 3rd Party are happier and get their money faster than dealing with DJI.
Yes I agree I went with state farm they don't care if it's pilot error or not it's covered even if it gets stolen its coverd also aney accessorys if perchested at the same time you bought the drone 1 year $ 75.00 dollars they send you the amount you paid for it

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drxenon