DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Care Refresh Launches Flyaway Coverage: Enjoy Worry-Free Flights

Well you make the call is half price better than nothing? I would never get Care Refresh, It wasn't available when I started with DJI and I feel I am a better pilot because of it IMHO...I see WAY to many people buying DJI these days and going up and out right outta the box as they "Have no fear"...you should always have a bit of seat of the pants when flying and personally I feel Care Refresh takes that away and people take way to big of a bite when joining this hobby because of it and those that shouldn't be even in this hobby have joined it because of the "Insurance". My philosophy has always been: IF you can only afford one, then better to buy none. YMMV :)

Even if it were available for the MM at approximately 1/2 the price of the drone I think I would pass.
I am also curious as to why it is, in my understanding, seemingly linked to the controller?
Similarly would using the flyaway replacement use up one of the normal "oops I crashed" care refresh allowances, I don't like that word "including"?

Even if it were available for the MM at approximately 1/2 the price of the drone I think I would pass.
I am also curious as to why it is, in my understanding, seemingly linked to the controller?
Keeps people from ordering a spare aircraft by false reporting their "main" was lost. Once used it will zero remote link for first aircraft so it cannot be used again...you know...those people who would do that for gain/profit. :rolleyes: Keeps honest people honest. ;)

Maybe I am being thick but I don't see how that would work.
If they could somehow prevent future linking between the 'registered' controller and the 'lost' drone (presumably the drone's internal serial number is transmitted along with other binding information) then all the would be thief has do is get another controller and when I last looked they were fairly cheap on ebay. Unless DJI can do something to the drone but that would surely need a www connection and immediately brings to mind "can they do it for stolen drones too" which could be a "right can of worms"

More to the point, if an honest person happens to have a spare controller (it's not unheard of even if it belongs to a second drone) and binds one controller but not the other, what happens if they have a fly away whilst using the unbound controller. In this sense, can a single drone be bound, at any given, to more than one controller and can a single controller be bound to more than one drone at a time?

I assume DJI are going to want logs that show the drone disappearing in mid air or failing to respond to commands etc.(but the latter might be more of a warranty claim). I doubt they are going to take just someone's word that their drone flew away and 9 times out of 10 the txt logs contain the controller's serial number and the drone's serial but I am fairly sure I have txt flight logs where the controller's serial number has not been recorded and/or ditto the drone's serial number.

One thing we've often suggested or DJI offered (particularly when issue is questionably covered under warranty) when the AC is not recoverable is to see about purchasing AC only. This was not always available though. This may be their means of officially offering it.

The replacement cost seems to be either/or. If you can send it back, it's the lower price. If not, the higher.
But there is the question if you only get 2 or 3 total replacements, with only 1 or 2 of those qualifying for no return replacement.

If you're practically paying full or slightly reduced price for AC only, there shouldn't really be any limit.

Reactions: bzmot
The $60 I paid for coverage from State Farm seems like an even better value now, and it also covers me in case of theft!

I don,t and cannot use care refresh the only instance where it actually worked was with the spark and the battery disconnecting during flight the second crash with the spark for the same I was flying litchi software and they wouldn,t consider fixing it at all,I have a mavic pro still out there again litchi mission flights where I later found that it had been a victim of mag interference of milipias or volcanic formation after several flights i found one area where gps cordinates were up to 300 yards off and down ward vision height was 90 ft off so if you mission height was set 100 you were 10 feet off the ground I tested it some 76 times , the pro is still in there some where but DJI care refresh refused to listen to any of this

I don,t and cannot use care refresh the only instance where it actually worked was with the spark and the battery disconnecting during flight the second crash with the spark for the same I was flying litchi software and they wouldn,t consider fixing it at all,I have a mavic pro still out there again litchi mission flights where I later found that it had been a victim of mag interference of milipias or volcanic formation after several flights i found one area where gps cordinates were up to 300 yards off and down ward vision height was 90 ft off so if you mission height was set 100 you were 10 feet off the ground I tested it some 76 times , the pro is still in there some where but DJI care refresh refused to listen to any of this

yes it did some wind and the higher it got the wind got stronger mission above ground height was at 173 ft
The lesson I'd take away from your crash is to ensure that "disable sideways movement" setting is always on, especially on flights such as yours that get up close and personal with the terrain.

Something might have been off by 300 yards, but I sincerely doubt it was GPS ... at least not the signals coming from the satellites since they aren't affected by magnetic fields. Maybe the GPS receiver in the drone was somehow off, but I doubt it. More likely it was just a bad Litchi flight plan because it looks like you tried to fly into a mountain.

Something might have been off by 300 yards, but I sincerely doubt it was GPS ... at least not the signals coming from the satellites since they aren't affected by magnetic fields. Maybe the GPS receiver in the drone was somehow off, but I doubt it. More likely it was just a bad Litchi flight plan because it looks like you tried to fly into a mountain.
you are right I had been flying in the flat land the day before and my return height was set at 75 ft it was my fault there but the drones way points were way off and this drone was number 3 to get hung up when i was searching by foot my brother went with me with a garmin and it was useless up there he is an avid hunter so the garmin was a very good one Just saying anyway the point being a third party app DJI won,t help at all

The $60 I paid for coverage from State Farm seems like an even better value now, and it also covers me in case of theft!
Do you know if State Farm needs to see the crashed drone for replacement? Or flight logs?

Last edited:
I think you confused warranty claim with refresh claim. Indeed DJI could deny a warranty claim with a third party app, especially if you were relying on autonomous flight with Litchi, as Litchi doesn't provide logs that DJI will accept and for all DJI knows, Litchi could have sent bad commands.
I suppose DJI could look at the logs in the AC itself if you had an AC to send them.

But Refresh it doesn't really matter what caused the crash, as long as it wasn't deliberate and you have the AC to send them. They replaced my M2Z that I accidentally backed over with my car, and only charged me $2 more for an RC replacement that had a broken antenna.

I would really be interested in more information re this option!
I’m in NY and it’s pretty common here. I’m sure State Farm is available nationwide but not every agent is familiar with drone coverage. Technically it’s a “personal effects” coverage and can be a standalone policy, not a rider. They do want pictures of the drone and a copy of the receipt and serial number. They cover all the accessories too. I covered the drone, fly more kit, ND filters, anti-collision lights, landing gear extensions and even the decals I skinned it with. Anything that can be lost if it plops into the pond or gets stolen.

The only downside is they will only pay out what you paid for it. So if you got a great deal, like on eBay for $1200, when it’s really worth $1600, they’re only going to give you the $1200 you paid. But on the plus side, there’s no deductible and considering that it’s generally $60 a year for coverage and they’ll pay you if you lose it or have a flyaway, I’d say it’s a win.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki