DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI could be your ATC for drones.

Former Member

Reactions
Shortly more than a year ago, the US Army ordered its members to stop using drones made by Chinese manufacturer DJI Technology because of “cyber vulnerabilities” in the products. DJI, of course, took the fifth and said it was surprised and disappointed at the Armys restriction. I wasnt surprised, nor were many members I know who feel that DJI doesnt need to have as much information as they do, and it kept getting worse with every update. Now, thanks to the FAA, DJI is authorized to allow customer flights In controlled airspace. Some think of this as a win, I think of this as a catastrophe waiting to happen.

DJI has a history of failing to request permission, and then asking forgiveness later. By yielding control of our airspace to a Chinese based company, controlled by a Chinese national man who doesnt even speak English at press conferences, and whose companies infrastructure seems like it's a throwback to the Ming dynasty, we are opening ourselves to the possibility of negative consequences that might be irrevocable to our nations security. My first question is why give that power to DJI? Why not an American based company who design and operate drones such as Lockheed, who has decades of trust and loyalty to the US government?

Anyone who has been frustrated by DJI's service, warranty repair, tech support, or design flaws is well aware of the problems this could have on our air traffic system that relies on communication and understanding, 2 things that DJI has proven itself to be terrible at in the past.

One last question. If you were a commercial airline pilot, would you want DJI controlling your airspace? As a private pilot, I would say unequivocally NO.

Last edited:
WOW...Hadn't read the original post before reading this one and I was freaking out!

Thunderdrones does, however, make a good point in that we have to be very weary of China's intentions, they want to be a super power and have a "Whatever it takes" attitude.

WOW...Hadn't read the original post before reading this one and I was freaking out!

Thunderdrones does, however, make a good point in that we have to be very weary of China's intentions, they want to be a super power and have a "Whatever it takes" attitude.

IM SORRY FOR THE MISLEADING ORIGINAL THREAD TITLE! I changed the thread title from "DJI is your new ATC" to "DJI could be your new ATC for drones.
"

My Mavic Pro doesn't connect to, log in to, talk to, or deliver any data to Chicom-controlled DJI, and hasn't done so for many months.
I plan to keep it that way.

Mine doesn't communicate with DJI either.

I was thinking today about this and how they could easily be getting all sorts of information from all these little drones flying all over the world...sending back info. I don't really like the idea.

I know the drones already collect info an send it back, my concern is what other info are they receiving and what would they use it for?

But then again maybe I'm just paranoid!

weird-al-foil.png

Last edited:
Shortly more than a year ago, the US Army ordered its members to stop using drones made by Chinese manufacturer DJI Technology because of “cyber vulnerabilities” in the products. DJI, of course, took the fifth and said it was surprised and disappointed at the Armys restriction. I wasnt surprised, nor were many members I know who feel that DJI doesnt need to have as much information as they do, and it kept getting worse with every update. Now, thanks to the FAA, DJI is authorized to allow customer flights In controlled airspace. Some think of this as a win, I think of this as a catastrophe waiting to happen.

DJI has a history of failing to request permission, and then asking forgiveness later. By yielding control of our airspace to a Chinese based company, controlled by a Chinese national man who doesnt even speak English at press conferences, and whose companies infrastructure seems like it's a throwback to the Ming dynasty, we are opening ourselves to the possibility of negative consequences that might be irrevocable to our nations security. My first question is why give that power to DJI? Why not an American based company who design and operate drones such as Lockheed, who has decades of trust and loyalty to the US government?

Anyone who has been frustrated by DJI's service, warranty repair, tech support, or design flaws is well aware of the problems this could have on our air traffic system that relies on communication and understanding, 2 things that DJI has proven itself to be terrible at in the past.

One last question. If you were a commercial airline pilot, would you want DJI controlling your airspace? As a private pilot, I would say unequivocally NO.

Very good valid points. Make me say ‘Hmmmm’ who’s in bed with DJI and what are the intentions.

Reactions: Former Member
you have to understand on a global business scale how china is the business model, in regards to ethics, how corporations would like to rule across the consumer business world.

less accountability to the public, more marketing and psyop communication programs.

America is a great place, but not the ideal consumer base, due to western philosophies. to get acceptance of certain business practices of another, well, soon you will be able to accept it as normalcy in your day to day life.

well, soon you will be able to accept it as normalcy in your day to day life.

EDIT. PLEASE IGNORE THIS RANT. THIS POST WAS UNNECESSARY.

Here comes another rant by Thunderdrones. @UAVNV this is not aimed at you, but a sense I get from dealing with DJI for a few years.

Instead of letting an Asian company try to bend our American morals and values into a contorted set of immoral, irresponsible and greedy values set forth by a dictator/tyrant based company such as DJI, we shpould stick to our values that made this a democracy to begin with. It's what our soldiers have fought and died for over the centuries. It's really nothing less than a fight for freedom and democracy.

If we were talking about a US based company, they would have already been held in an antitrust lawsuit, been sanctioned by the AG, and thousands of civil lawsuits and penalties for their predatory and ignorant business practices would have been made.

I dont like the way DJI does business. By the way, I am not anti-Asian. I am anti-imperialist.I lived in Asia for a long time, and know how some, but by far not all, Chinese companies do business.

Again, not directed at you @UAVNV Im just expressing how I feel about how DJI does business sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drgnfli

Lol. Dji is hardly "controlling our air space."

I am a retired one of that bunch and not no but **** NO! The FAA is bad enough.

KB

Im with you. FAA has its hands full as it is. If they have to cater to DJI's staff before authorizing a flight, just more work for them. In my experience, I have had some good AT controllers and some outright dangerous ones. Add DJI to the mix, and it's only gonna get worse.

The real question that we all should make is how DJI has became so powerful in the drone business. Why there are not a single US business that can challenge DJI? GoPro tried and failed miserably. Maybe the Chinese are smarter than us in engineering better drones for commercial purposes.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet