DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI could be your ATC for drones.

The real question that we are should make is how DJI has became so powerful in the drone business. Why there are not a single US business that can challenge DJI? GoPro tried and failed miserably. Maybe the Chinese are smarter than us in engineering better drones for commercial purposes.

Great question. Yes it's too bad that the GoPro Karma failed. Great company and US owned. They deserved to win that battle, but lost for many reasons. Had it not been for the Mavic, I would be flying a Karma right now, if they had gotten the bugs worked out.

The USA trades openly with China, but our morals and philosophies are very different. I prefer to do business with countries who care about the guy on the other side of the table. Not a company that sells you something then lets you worry about how to deal with problems on your own. You cant buy parts from DJI, and they have very strict terms and behavior that they demand if you want to do business with them.

Another question would be, "Where is Japan in all of this?" I love Japanese quality, business ethics, and customer service. They were a powerful force in consumer electronics for decades in the USA, and their cars are still the front runners here. I wish they would come out with a drone we could bank on. Futaba and JR still set the standard of the best radios you can buy for your RC cars, trucks, boats, airplanes and helicopters. When I was into nitro RC, you couldnt buy a better, more reliable engine than an OS or a Saito.

And then there's South Korea. Samsung or a contemporary could surely come out with a drone thats Android friendly, but they havent.

Last edited:
"Where is Japan in all of this?" I love Japanese quality, business ethics, and customer service. They were a powerful force in consumer electronics for decades in the USA, and their cars are still the front runners here. I wish they would come out with a drone we could bank on. Futaba and JR still set the standard of the best radios you can buy for your RC cars, trucks, boats, airplanes and helicopters.

And then there's South Korea. Samsung or a contemporary could surely come out with a drone thats Android friendly, but they havent.
Hmph.

Another question would be, "Where is Japan in all of this?" I love Japanese quality, business ethics, and customer service. They were a powerful force in consumer electronics for decades in the USA, and their cars are still the front runners here. I wish they would come out with a drone we could bank on. Futaba and JR still set the standard of the best radios you can buy for your RC cars, trucks, boats, airplanes and helicopters.

Excellent question about Japan, I completely agreed. Japan make the best durable cars and SUV in the world, Honda and Toyota are outstanding brands of quality. I am very surprised that we don't see any company from Japan making drones. I have not see a single company from Japan making any type of drones.

Excellent question about Japan, I completely agreed. Japan make the best durable cars and SUV in the world, Honda and Toyota are outstanding brands of quality. I am very surprised that we don't see any company from Japan making drones. I have not see a single company from Japan making any type of drones.

I saw one of these in person, and it was HUGE! Seems like it was around 10 years ago. Not a drone, but a heli. Probably one of the coolest things Ive ever seen. Come on Yamaha, step up to the plate!

Reactions: macoman
Great question. Yes it's too bad that the GoPro Karma failed. Great company and US owned. They deserved to win that battle, but lost for many reasons. Had it not been for the Mavic, I would be flying a Karma right now, if they had gotten the bugs worked out.

But they aren't a "great company" are they? Their value has tanked to the extent that even the likes of DJI consider them not worth buying. They built a reasonable reputation on the back of a single product line
that other companies now produce better and cheaper. Their failed drone venture is reasonable evidence that they are not as technically competent as they need to be to survive. Sad to report but that's how it is.

Sad to report but that's how it is.

"Thats how it is" depends who is interpreting history and their perspective and bias.

But they aren't a "great company" are they? Their value has tanked

If you "value" and judge a company as a stock market investor would, and judge its "greatness" on it's stock value, you might be right, GoPro might not have been a good investment going long. However, if you shorted the stock before it fell it was a great investment. With DJI making their Mavic announcement within 1 week of the Karmas announcement, it is not a surprise that the stock price dropped, and then the technical problems of the Karma sealed its fate. I still feel that DJI was dirty when I look back at what happened. My opinion is that DJI stole or "borrowed" the whole concept from a leak at GoPro, and then rushed the Mavic to market to stomp out any desire by GoPro diehards to buy the Karma. It is no coincidence that the announcements came within 1 week of eachother. DJI was closed mouthed about the Mavic, as they always are. They NEVER tell you what products are on the horizon for the paranoid fear of a competitor coming out with something better, cheaper, and sooner. Instead you get cryptic innuendos such as "Adventure Unfolds" or "See the Bigger Picture ."

Let's also look at what happened with the Mavic release debacle/fiasco. DJI announced the sale of the Mavic, took the money of tens of thousands of customers on a product that was not ready for release. They were undersupplied, lacked the high volume production facilities, yet took the money as a "sale" instead of a "deposit." Again, dirty business in my eyes, and in the eyes of the tens of thousands who waited weeks and months while DJI ramped up for a prototypes production stream. How DJI evaded a class action lawsuit, civil penalties or criminal charges, or at least sanctioned by the FTC is beyond me.

I like to judge a company based on its customer service, history of innovation, rock solid products, and durability. In that regard, GoPro is not only a great company, but a fantastic company. When someone says that DJI is a great company, I always retort with, "Great product, terrible company."

They built a reasonable reputation on the back of a single product line that other companies now produce better and cheaper. Their failed drone venture is reasonable evidence that they are not as technically competent as they need to be to survive.

Wow, so that's why DJI didnt buy GoPro, because they built their reputation on the back of a single product line? Then why on earth would DJI buy Hasselblad????? Hasselblad was a bankrupt, single product line company, who had the best reputation in the world for high quality, durable, albeit pricey equipment. Anyone who is anyone in the photgraphy workld knows the Hasselblad name and what it stands for. DJI is proud to marquis the Hasselblad name on the front of every Mavic 2 Pro. Was Hasselblads failure due to its technical incompetence? I dont think so. Nor was GoPros. As far as I know, GoPro is continuing to make fantastic quality cameras and has a diehard customer base.

Anyone remember the DJi Phantom 1 that used a GoPro? I do. DJI unceremoniously dumped GoPro when DJI came out with an integrated solution to the drone/gimbal challenge, yet GoPros stock value continued to climb despite that event.

A final note to this personally unpleasant topic of DJI's business ethics and valuation. Now that DJI and Microsoft have partnered together to "bring smarter drones to the enterprise," I wonder how many tricks Microsoft will teach (or DJI will glean) when it comes to stomping out the competition, stealing another companies business secrets, and tying them up in court, much like Microsoft did with the mouse and Windows GUI that I believe it stole from Apple.

Reactions: MaviCam
I only said that about shorting the stock because you seem to be judging GoPro from an investors point of view only.

Come on now, hang in there! ;)
Actually GoPro cameras are a hot product in the racing drone world. I had see how these guys build these amazing racing drones and add a GoPro camera on it.

Actually GoPro cameras are a hot product in the racing drone world. I had see how these guys build these amazing racing drones and add a GoPro camera on it.

I did not know that! I wish GoPro could miniaturize some of their equipment to make it more widely useful.

Shortly more than a year ago, the US Army ordered its members to stop using drones made by Chinese manufacturer DJI Technology because of “cyber vulnerabilities” in the products. DJI, of course, took the fifth and said it was surprised and disappointed at the Armys restriction. I wasnt surprised, nor were many members I know who feel that DJI doesnt need to have as much information as they do, and it kept getting worse with every update. Now, thanks to the FAA, DJI is authorized to allow customer flights In controlled airspace. Some think of this as a win, I think of this as a catastrophe waiting to happen.

DJI has a history of failing to request permission, and then asking forgiveness later. By yielding control of our airspace to a Chinese based company, controlled by a Chinese national man who doesnt even speak English at press conferences, and whose companies infrastructure seems like it's a throwback to the Ming dynasty, we are opening ourselves to the possibility of negative consequences that might be irrevocable to our nations security. My first question is why give that power to DJI? Why not an American based company who design and operate drones such as Lockheed, who has decades of trust and loyalty to the US government?

Anyone who has been frustrated by DJI's service, warranty repair, tech support, or design flaws is well aware of the problems this could have on our air traffic system that relies on communication and understanding, 2 things that DJI has proven itself to be terrible at in the past.

One last question. If you were a commercial airline pilot, would you want DJI controlling your airspace? As a private pilot, I would say unequivocally NO.

A military subcontractor client purchased TEN M600 Pro's + spare batteries + cases, which are now all grounded for the very reason you stated here. I set up a couple of them and was even slated to fly them when the moratorium came down the chain of command. I've been bugging them to sell two of them back to me at a greatly reduced price. Fingers crossed HA!

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
A military subcontractor client purchased TEN M600 Pro's + spare batteries + cases, which are now all grounded for the very reason you stated here. I set up a couple of them and was even slated to fly them when the moratorium came down the chain of command. I've been bugging them to sell two of them back to me at a greatly reduced price. Fingers crossed HA!
But they are not obligated to use the DJI go app... There are third party apps that are not too intrusive.

Reactions: Former Member

Im sure they could give you a sweetheart deal as long as you dont fly them near a base.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet