DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI data analysis of my recent Mavic 2 pro crash

lcastric

Reactions
Mavic 2 pro crash report data analysis:"The aircraft cannot sense or avoid obstacles underneath." I've looked for a discussion about this limitation of the drone's obstacle avoidance limitations but have not seen this anywhere on the net. Was flying in default mode.

The spec page here: Mavic 2 - Specifications, FAQs, Videos, Tutorials, Manuals - DJI seems to say otherwise. The footnote on that page (below [1]) provides a disclaimer regarding left right, but not up down. If that conflicts with what DJI told you, ask them to explain the meaning of 'omnidirectional obstacle sensing'

[1] Omnidirectional Obstacle Sensing includes left/right, up/down, and forward/backward obstacle sensing. Sensing for left/right directions is only available in ActiveTrack , POI, QuickShot and Tripod mode. Omnidirectional Obstacle Sensing does not fully cover the circumference of a 360-degree arc. And left and right obstacle sensing system only works in specific modes and environments. DJI warranty does not cover any loss caused by crashing when flying left or right, even when ActiveTrack or Tripod mode is activated. Please be aware of your surroundings and App notifications when operating the Mavic 2 to ensure safety.

:rolleyes:

This is the reply I received after sending DJI the above specs. After the data analysis they had offered that I buy a new drone at a 15 percent discount. Despite that and the waffling below they are sending me a replacement for $116 under the Care Refresh Plan. I suppose the take away is don't give up despite what they say initially.

Please kindly notice that "Omnidirectional Obstacle Sensing" is not totally equal to "Omnidirectional Obstacle Avoiding".

The aircraft is equipped with Forward, Backward, Downward, and Lateral Vision Systems, and Upward and Downward Infrared Sensing Systems, providing omnidirectional obstacle sensing. The Downward Vision System and Infrared Sensing System helps the aircraft maintain its current position and hover in place more precisely, but it doesn't mean that it cannot avoid the obstacles underneath.

Reactions: Gryphon962
This is the reply I received after sending DJI the above specs. After the data analysis they had offered that I buy a new drone at a 15 percent discount. Despite that and the waffling below they are sending me a replacement for $116 under the Care Refresh Plan. I suppose the take away is don't give up despite what they say initially.

Please kindly notice that "Omnidirectional Obstacle Sensing" is not totally equal to "Omnidirectional Obstacle Avoiding".

The aircraft is equipped with Forward, Backward, Downward, and Lateral Vision Systems, and Upward and Downward Infrared Sensing Systems, providing omnidirectional obstacle sensing. The Downward Vision System and Infrared Sensing System helps the aircraft maintain its current position and hover in place more precisely, but it doesn't mean that it cannot avoid the obstacles underneath.

Well if quoting their spec to them made them come up with a much better offer, that's great news!

Reactions: lcastric
but if you had care refresh, it would have been replaced regardless. If you had won your warranty claim you would not have to pay the $116

or are you saying they are giving you the care refresh deal without you owning the care refresh plan?

Care Refresh even covers accidentally running over it with a car. That sounds like operator error to me.
Of course that wouldn't be covered under warranty. On top of that, the remote antenna was damaged. Cost me $2 extra for the antenna repair but received a new or refurbished remote instead. Remotes are not covered under refresh.

The difference between warranty coverage and care coverage is that in the former, you don't have to pay the Care replacement deductible but only covers a malfunction.

If they really said refresh doesn't cover operator error, either the person you were dealing with doesn't understand the program, or though you were talking about warranty coverage.

Care Refresh even covers accidentally running over it with a car. That sounds like operator error to me.
Of course that wouldn't be covered under warranty. On top of that, the remote antenna was damaged. Cost me $2 extra for the antenna repair but received a new or refurbished remote instead. Remotes are not covered under refresh.

The difference between warranty coverage and care coverage is that in the former, you don't have to pay the Care replacement deductible but only covers a malfunction.

If they really said refresh doesn't cover operator error, either the person you were dealing with doesn't understand the program, or though you were talking about warranty coverage.

OK... Thanks. When I received the operator error and cupon for $15 for purchasing a new drone I assumed they knew that I had care refresh. It would only require looking at my account....Never assume

When you submit your RMA online, it should show you have refresh, particularly when there's the "express" option which bypasses the evaluation phase.

I didn't opt for express when I ran over it as I considered paying for repairs and saving my 2 refresh for more serious damage. All electronics were good, only broken arms and some body deformation. Gimbal was good. They invoiced the repair, but charged the refresh without being clear about it.

Thanks for the feedback. I retrieved the drone and hence the care refresh kicked in. Now it's a matter of getting back on the horse.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU