DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Drone crashed into my vehicle at car show

Status
Not open for further replies.

glamb56

Reactions
Hoping you all may be able to provide some insight here. Located in Dallas, TX.

This past weekend I was at a car show, my vehicle was parked and I was standing behind it. A large DJI drone came crashing straight down into my hood/driver’s side fender, leaving significant dents and scratches on both my hood and fender. Unfortunately my vehicle is expensive. A $140,000 Range Rover SVR with carbon fiber on the hood and a special order paint color. Estimated damages are over $10,000 as I need a new hood, fender, and clear PPF wrap redone on the entire hood (This did save the paint quite a bit but it’s still bad enough to need replacing). Couple photos attached of the damage.

Initially tried to go through the drone owner’s home insurance, but they have denied any and all liability because the owner didn’t operate the drone in a “negligent manner”, as it seems the drone simply malfunctioned. Aren’t there rules and regulations in place prohibiting people from flying these things over large crowds of people? If this had hit a bystander instead of my hood, it likely would have killed them. I am not sure if the drone was properly registered with the FAA, but in doing some research it sounds like the pilot may be required to report this incident to the FAA? If he was flying this illegally that would seem to constitute negligence to me, but their insurance company seemed clueless on any rules regarding this.

Trying to avoid filing a claim on my vehicle insurance for obvious reasons. This is a rare, speciality vehicle and I would rather not have a damage report showing up on my carfax thus devaluing the car, increase in rates, etc. Drone owner says they are filing a claim with DJI, but surely that is not going to cover the $10,000+ to repair my vehicle. I am not familiar with drones and the laws surrounding them and would appreciate any insight you all can provide.

Thanks.374FD24D-3C29-4DAD-B2DF-EB798D559390.jpeg6E19E9D9-2D0E-4AEB-A358-631940F088FC.png

Hoping you all may be able to provide some insight here. Located in Dallas, TX.

This past weekend I was at a car show, my vehicle was parked and I was standing behind it. A large DJI drone came crashing straight down into my hood/driver’s side fender, leaving significant dents and scratches on both my hood and fender. Unfortunately my vehicle is expensive. A $140,000 Range Rover SVR with carbon fiber on the hood and a special order paint color. Estimated damages are over $10,000 as I need a new hood, fender, and clear PPF wrap redone on the entire hood (This did save the paint quite a bit but it’s still bad enough to need replacing). Couple photos attached of the damage.

Initially tried to go through the drone owner’s home insurance, but they have denied any and all liability because the owner didn’t operate the drone in a “negligent manner”, as it seems the drone simply malfunctioned. Aren’t there rules and regulations in place prohibiting people from flying these things over large crowds of people? If this had hit a bystander instead of my hood, it likely would have killed them. I am not sure if the drone was properly registered with the FAA, but in doing some research it sounds like the pilot may be required to report this incident to the FAA? If he was flying this illegally that would seem to constitute negligence to me, but their insurance company seemed clueless on any rules regarding this.

Trying to avoid filing a claim on my vehicle insurance for obvious reasons. This is a rare, speciality vehicle and I would rather not have a damage report showing up on my carfax thus devaluing the car, increase in rates, etc. Drone owner says they are filing a claim with DJI, but surely that is not going to cover the $10,000+ to repair my vehicle. I am not familiar with drones and the laws surrounding them and would appreciate any insight you all can provide.

Thanks.View attachment 114085View attachment 114087
Indeed - my drivers-side mirror was hit by gunfire - didn't want the car-fax showing "Involved in rolling gun battle...". Out of pocket...

There is a regulation against flying over people:

§107.39 Operation over human beings.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft over a human being unless that human being is:
(a) Directly participating in the operation of the small unmanned aircraft; or
(b) Located under a covered structure or inside a stationary vehicle that can provide reasonable protection from a falling small unmanned aircraft.

A report to the FAA is most certainly warranted, whether that person is flying under Part 107 or not.

§107.9 Accident reporting.
No later than 10 calendar days after an operation that meets the criteria of either paragraph (a) or (b) of this section, a remote pilot in command must report to the FAA, in a manner acceptable to the Administrator, any operation of the small unmanned aircraft involving at least:
(a) Serious injury to any person or any loss of consciousness; or
(b) Damage to any property, other than the small unmanned aircraft, unless one of the following conditions is satisfied:
(1) The cost of repair (including materials and labor) does not exceed $500; or​
(2) The fair market value of the property does not exceed $500 in the event of total loss.​

Ha!

I should also add..... this was in Class B air space. Does that change anything?
Wait a second here - you can afford a nice vehicle - me too. Looks like you are prepared for some sort of fight - we get it. Your are mad. Further advice this way cometh.

Reactions: JimCanada and Modra
Ha!

I should also add..... this was in Class B air space. Does that change anything?
So your familiar with airspace. Are you a flier also ?
Hate welcoming you you the forum under these circumstances but am and hope this gets taken care of.

So your familiar with airspace. Are you a flier also ?
Hate welcoming you you the forum under these circumstances but am and hope this gets taken care of.

I am not. One of my good buddies is a pilot and gave me some helpful info including that bit about the air space. He seemed to think the drone may have abruptly dropped out of the sky because it was in fact in restricted air space. Interestingly enough, another drone at the show also fell out of the sky and crashed, although with no damage to any vehicles.

I am a reasonable guy and so far the drone owner has been civil and seems to be doing the right thing. Just trying to prepare for the next steps if I continue to get the run-around as my patience is going to run out pretty quickly.

My two cents worth: always better settle to the satsifaction of both parties.

If you take care of this incident civilly and amicably, it will only build and add goodwill.

Who knows and your paths will cross again in the future and hopefully, both parties (and the extended parties like family, relatives, friends) will look back at this incident in a very favorable light.

:)

I am not. One of my good buddies is a pilot and gave me some helpful info including that bit about the air space. He seemed to think the drone may have abruptly dropped out of the sky because it was in fact in restricted air space. Interestingly enough, another drone at the show also fell out of the sky and crashed, although with no damage to any vehicles.

I am a reasonable guy and so far the drone owner has been civil and seems to be doing the right thing. Just trying to prepare for the next steps if I continue to get the run-around as my patience is going to run out pretty quickly.
Gotya. Being in restricted airspace would not make one just fall
and is odd another one fell also. I know you are sick.
The drone operator better be civil flying over a high end car show
is crazy.

Gotya. Being in restricted airspace would not make one just fall
and is odd another one fell also. I know you are sick.
The drone operator better be civil flying over a high end car show
is crazy.

I agree. To my left was a $450,000 Ferrari 488 Pista, and to my right a $600,000 Lamborghini Aventador SV. The pilot has a much higher risk tolerance than I ?

If you'd like some help from the FAA side of things feel free to drop me a Private Message. That's not my region but I can definitely help get you going in the right direction.

IMHO even though the operator is "being civil" etc etc if all of your facts are accurate they were behaving recklessly and illegal which is BAD for all of us.

@cyeung was there LE involved to make a report or are you just dealing with this guy one on one ?

@cyeung was there LE involved to make a report or are you just dealing with this guy one on one ?

No LE involved. I made sure to get 3 witness names and numbers from the scene. A 19 year old was piloting the drone. His father was also at the car show with him so that’s mostly who I’ve been dealing with, in addition to his insurance company which informed me today they have no liability. Both the drone owner and I are still trying to right with his insurance, so we will see what comes of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo