DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Drone crashed into my vehicle at car show

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have all of their info and have been in contact. Somebody is going to pay to fix my vehicle and it won’t be me ? May be a headache and take some time to get it figured out but it will happen eventually.
16 years old to get a PPL, to get a driver's license, 16 to fly a drone...leaving the scene of an accident sounds fair

I haven’t seen this mentioned, but FAA regulations require that a report be filed within 10 days for an accident causing more than $500 damage. The pilot is required to report to the FAA. You should make sure this is reported and see if you can obtain a copy. See this link: ACCIDENTS

That said, is cheating the Carfax report considered a kosher move? Sounds a bit shady to me.

I haven’t seen this mentioned, but FAA regulations require that a report be filed within 10 days for an accident causing more than $500 damage. The pilot is required to report to the FAA. You should make sure this is reported and see if you can obtain a copy. See this link: ACCIDENTS

That's only for Part 107 operations which the operator may or may no be. We don't know that as of yet but I'm kind of doubting it.

But if he is Part 107 then a report should have been filed with the FAA within 10 days.

A police report should have been filed regardless.

Reactions: dirkclod
No LE involved. I made sure to get 3 witness names and numbers from the scene. A 19 year old was piloting the drone. His father was also at the car show with him so that’s mostly who I’ve been dealing with, in addition to his insurance company which informed me today they have no liability. Both the drone owner and I are still trying to right with his insurance, so we will see what comes of that.

Shirley the pilot has the liability. How they cover that liability is up to them. If their household insurance does not cover it that is not your problem but the pilot's?
They will have to pay for the repair one way or another.

In the state concerned is 19 an adult? IE technically he is responsible not his father?

Reactions: BigAl07
It seems to me you are doing everything right. But if in the end, you are not compensated for the damage, I'd suggest you see a good lawyer and pursue it that way.

Reactions: rybread761
I fly a drone and RC planes but i have public liability insurance just in case some thing did go wrong

Reactions: Paulsar
That's only for Part 107 operations which the operator may or may no be. We don't know that as of yet but I'm kind of doubting it.
I have not read that specifically. I’m not doubting you, but why wouldn’t the FAA be interested in ALL accidents that meet the reporting criteria? That’s kind of like a cop saying, “Well, the wreck was caused by an underage driver, so it doesn’t need to be reported.”

Reactions: Expose
I have not read that specifically. I’m not doubting you, but why wouldn’t the FAA be interested in ALL accidents that meet the reporting criteria? That’s kind of like a cop saying, “Well, the wreck was caused by an underage driver, so it doesn’t need to be reported.”

They give some "allowances" for Hobby/Recreational or it's an oversight. Either way there is no accident reporting (at least not per the regs) for hobby at this time.

The article gives the exact location of the requirement which is under Part 107 ~
Section 107.9 Accident reporting.

It's a terrible thing to happen but sounds like typical parking lot damage and your insurance company is the one to settle it.

• Angry
Reactions: KingRat and BigAl07
Your options are simple. Go through your insurance co. who have the resources to fight this in court. If they win, then you get your deductable back. Other option is you get a lawyer and sue for damages at your expense.

Reactions: JoeBoy and BigAl07
I doubt an insurance company is going to spend too much time or money trying to pursue a $10k claim in the courts. If the claimant goes to court, it’s going to cost more than his deductible.

Reactions: BigAl07
This sort of thing happened to me once. I was involved in a car accident that was absolutely the other driver's fault, but they denied it and said it was mine. There were no witnesses, so I took the advice of a friend in the insurance industry, and did this:
1) Sued the other driver in small claim court
2) Sent the other driver's insurance company a letter (#OLDDAYS) stating that I am suing their client. I also recommended that they can settle out of court directly with me for $xxxx
3) Check arrived quite promptly and I cancelled the lawsuit.

The whole thing that made this work is that the insurance company is on the hook to defend their client should they get sued. Your case is a bit different since it's a "possible" HO insurance claim, but in either case, a prompt lawsuit is the way to go, even in the absence of the insurance company being in the mix.
I also would try to get not just the video footage, but proof that the pilot had a clearance to fly in that area. While you are at it, get the registration number of the drone. If, as others here suspect, he did not register it, that's another piece of ammo in your arsenal. The whole point is to settle this as amicably as possible, but be prepared to ratchet things up if you need to. Start by asking for a check to cover the damage. When he doesn't do it, do the above.

I know. It was a car show I know you wished you had missed now.
That kid should have known better as his father letting him fly there.
Please don’t think though all drone pilots are that stupid.
Some yes but more than I like to think.
The kid should have full responsibility if the drone was his, daddy should share responsibility if the drone was his. The boy is over 18. Criminal charges may/not apply. Either way, the auto owner should be reimbursed full cost of damages plus legal action, if any. FSO definitely needs to be involved. Is there not a $ limit for damage, that must be reported?

Reactions: Galeforce1
No kidding about that! When I fly, I carry a $1,000,000 liability insurance policy for reasons like this!

Yep me too. I keep the 1million policy all the time and Increase the Liability as needed. Wife was wondering why you need a policy like that, I asked her how much she thought crashing a drone into a power sub station while doing line inspections would cost. Her eyes got big. OP im sorry this happened to you, but thank you for posting this, it may make someone think twice about flying without insurance.

FAA requires damage over $500 reported within 10 days. I would check with them to verify the report was filed. If this guy is "doing the right thing" it will be. If he was flying in class B airspace without authorization he may not file the report.

If you haven't already, it might be a good idea to hire a lawyer. I think it will he lp in your negotiations/dealings with the Insurance company and will let them know you are serious and not willing to just let this go (something I am sure they are counting on)
Flying over people is definitely a no-no but I don't know if the pilot had a commercial license and if so, whether that makes a difference or not. Good Luck my friend. (your ride must be an incredible vehicle! :cool: )

If he does not pay in full in a week,get a lawyer.He will also be charged for your lawyer fee.Sounds open+shut.

Reactions: glamb56
Hoping you all may be able to provide some insight here. Located in Dallas, TX.

This past weekend I was at a car show, my vehicle was parked and I was standing behind it. A large DJI drone came crashing straight down into my hood/driver’s side fender, leaving significant dents and scratches on both my hood and fender. Unfortunately my vehicle is expensive. A $140,000 Range Rover SVR with carbon fiber on the hood and a special order paint color. Estimated damages are over $10,000 as I need a new hood, fender, and clear PPF wrap redone on the entire hood (This did save the paint quite a bit but it’s still bad enough to need replacing). Couple photos attached of the damage.

Initially tried to go through the drone owner’s home insurance, but they have denied any and all liability because the owner didn’t operate the drone in a “negligent manner”, as it seems the drone simply malfunctioned. Aren’t there rules and regulations in place prohibiting people from flying these things over large crowds of people? If this had hit a bystander instead of my hood, it likely would have killed them. I am not sure if the drone was properly registered with the FAA, but in doing some research it sounds like the pilot may be required to report this incident to the FAA? If he was flying this illegally that would seem to constitute negligence to me, but their insurance company seemed clueless on any rules regarding this.

Trying to avoid filing a claim on my vehicle insurance for obvious reasons. This is a rare, speciality vehicle and I would rather not have a damage report showing up on my carfax thus devaluing the car, increase in rates, etc. Drone owner says they are filing a claim with DJI, but surely that is not going to cover the $10,000+ to repair my vehicle. I am not familiar with drones and the laws surrounding them and would appreciate any insight you all can provide.

Thanks.View attachment 114085View attachment 114087
In this case I would just claim it on your insurance, and let them go after him, they have lots of lawyers for that. Otherwise you'll mess around forever, and end up in small claims court, which usually has a $5000 limit.

FAA requires damage over $500 reported within 10 days. I would check with them to verify the report was filed. If this guy is "doing the right thing" it will be. If he was flying in class B airspace without authorization he may not file the report.
Only for Part 107 operations.

Reactions: Fort Pierce Pilot
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member