DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Drone crashed into my vehicle at car show

Status
Not open for further replies.
No LE involved. I made sure to get 3 witness names and numbers from the scene. A 19 year old was piloting the drone. His father was also at the car show with him so that’s mostly who I’ve been dealing with, in addition to his insurance company which informed me today they have no liability. Both the drone owner and I are still trying to right with his insurance, so we will see what comes of that.
Press for settlement and let the drone pilot or his dad worry about getting reimbursed from the ins company.

I was not involved in this incident.
I know. It was a car show I know you wished you had missed now.
That kid should have known better as his father letting him fly there.
Please don’t think though all drone pilots are that stupid.
Some yes but more than I like to think.

I know. It was a car show I know you wished you had missed now.
That kid should have known better as his father letting him fly there.
Please don’t think though all drone pilots are that stupid.
Some yes but more than I like to think.
@glamb56 is the one with the damaged Range Rover. I have a humble and not exactly car show-worthy Chevrolet Volt. :)

@glamb56 is the one with the damaged Range Rover. I have a humble and not exactly car show-worthy Chevrolet Volt. :)
Sorry bout that ?
I got my members messed up. Hey a Volt is ok I got a Ford truck .?‍♂️

I was not involved in this incident.
Me either. Um, wasn't `t me.

But on a serious note, sorry for the damage. I can appreciate wanting to handle this, outside the system, but with the $$$$$ involved would have me leave it to the pro's. Meaning your insurance company who is undoubtably staffed with lawyers. Who knows what happend, could have been a fly away for all we know. Doesn't change the fact that the OP is owed, just need to find out where the money to fix his car is going to come from. This thread is going to remind me to get some liability insurance.

As a owner of a classic car (09 Jaguar XK) your are much more understanding than I would be, knowing how hard it is to get repairs done on a rare vehicle. DJI will not help, so don't fall that line. I would get a police report and legal paper work (small claims court up to 5k) if damage is more take it higher. Find out from the show organizers if they had any knowledge of a drone being operated over the event (if so sue them also) if not you have more legality on your side that the operator was unauthorize to be flying over the event and in violation of FAA regs in accordance with UAS operations.

You go after him in civilian court, guarentee he'll settle, plus if his drone is registered, go after his certification. The next question was he really in class B airspace? Don't speculate he was operating in Class B. Maybe your car show was 15NM out from the surface and the shelf was at 4k? And he was completely legal to fly. I've never heard of car shows being held under Class B airspace from the surface

You go after him in civilian court, guarentee he'll settle, plus if his drone is registered, go after his certification. The next question was he really in class B airspace? Don't speculate he was operating in Class B. Maybe your car show was 15NM out from the surface and the shelf was at 4k? And he was completely legal to fly. I've never heard of car shows being held under Class B airspace from the surface

I have confirmed it is class B airspace through the FAA maps. This location is very close to the DFW International Airport. See pic below.

I am hoping he will pay my damages in full and then he can go after his insurance company for reimbursement if he chooses to. Especially considering he was very likely flying illegally. I have a feeling I could make this very bad for him pretty quickly if I wanted to, which I’d certainly like to avoid, but if he doesn’t pay up I may have no choice.06343D04-8F64-47FC-BEF7-9BF131355F3A.png

Reactions: Deleted Member 997
Initially tried to go through the drone owner’s home insurance, but they have denied any and all liability because the owner didn’t operate the drone in a “negligent manner”, as it seems the drone simply malfunctioned.

Just curious where is the drone now? I would ask for a duplicate of the video card and any and all flight recordings which may allow you to reconstruct exactly how this occurred. You should ask for it now in writing. You want to saddle pilot with duty to preserve evidence asap. May not be worth the bother in minor damage case but with special custom car? That pilot and his insurance carrier should be working hard to make you happy and restore that vehicle to perfection. Good luck I hope that good sense prevails and your car is restored promptly.

Looks legal to me

I believe the red 400’ is the ceiling marker stipulating that LAANC authorization for drones can only be given up to 400’. Everything I have researched online says in class B air space, authorization is required before flying. I suppose I will find out pretty quickly if I end up having to contact the FAA. Appreciate the input.
244DDC57-2D11-4576-BA35-2181BCF9385D.pngDFF36E71-7E0B-41FD-98E7-DB5A3ADA8B32.png

I believe the red 400’ is the ceiling marker stipulating that LAANC authorization for drones can only be given up to 400’. Everything I have researched online says in class B air space, authorization is required before flying. I suppose I will find out pretty quickly if I end up having to contact the FAA. Appreciate the input.
View attachment 114110View attachment 114111
It's legal if they got the authorization

Initially tried to go through the drone owner’s home insurance, but they have denied any and all liability because the owner didn’t operate the drone in a “negligent manner”, as it seems the drone simply malfunctioned.

Just curious where is the drone now? I would ask for a duplicate of the video card and any and all flight recordings which may allow you to reconstruct exactly how this occurred. You should ask for it now in writing. You want to saddle pilot with duty to preserve evidence asap. May not be worth the bother in minor damage case but with special custom car? That pilot and his insurance carrier should be working hard to make you happy and restore that vehicle to perfection. Good luck I hope that good sense prevails and your car is restored promptly.

Good call. I have asked him for a copy of the video footage from the crash, we will see what comes of that. Trying to keep a level head through this whole situation! It is trying my patience ?

I think it unlikely this kid got authorization to fly at the show, but perhaps he did. I will ask him for further details regarding that in the morning.

If not, go after civil. Did it have a registration number on it?

Not sure. I was too pissed in the moment to look closely at the drone. All I have is the picture I snapped of it that I attached in my first post. The guy picked it up pretty quickly after it crashed. Where is the registration number typically located?

I am perplexed by the denial of coverage by the HO insurance carrier. I have an HO4 policy (common form of HO insurance) and my drone is covered. I also have AMA insurance. If ones lawnmower suffers a mechanical failure and is then the cause of an accident, ones HO insurance provides coverage. If the mechanical failure is the result of a failure related to the manufacture of the lawnmower, then ones insurance company has the option of seeking a remedy from thr manufacturer. (subrogation)

I suspect that if one is licensed under 107 that the HO insurance company may decline coverage because they will assert that the drone operation was for business purposes. IMO, one should challenge the drone operator’s insurance company and remind it of the consequences of bad faith conduct.

Finally, the FAA is a law enforcement agency and cannot recover damages.

Reactions: glamb56
Not sure. I was too pissed in the moment to look closely at the drone. All I have is the picture I snapped of it that I attached in my first post. The guy picked it up pretty quickly after it crashed. Where is the registration number typically located?
It should have been in plain view like a large serial number. If you didn't see it , it may or may not have been registered, at this point your looking at a lose unless you have their info

Reactions: glamb56
I am perplexed by the denial of coverage by the HO insurance carrier. I have an HO4 policy (common form of HO insurance) and my drone is covered. I also have AMA insurance. If ones lawnmower suffers a mechanical failure and is then the cause of an accident, ones HO insurance provides coverage. If the mechanical failure is the result of a failure related to the manufacture of the lawnmower, then ones insurance company has the option of seeking a remedy from thr manufacturer. (subrogation)

I suspect that if one is licensed under 107 that the HO insurance company may decline coverage because they will assert that the drone operation was for business purposes. IMO, one should challenge the drone operator’s insurance company and remind it of the consequences of bad faith conduct.

I was also quite surprised they denied any liability for damages. I have a call scheduled with their claims manager tomorrow to get some more info on the denial and hopefully reverse their decision if I can prove the drone was not legally operated.

My home owners insurance absolutely stated they will not cover me during part 107

It should have been in plain view like a large serial number. If you didn't see it , it may or may not have been registered, at this point your looking at a lose unless you have their info

I do have all of their info and have been in contact. Somebody is going to pay to fix my vehicle and it won’t be me ? May be a headache and take some time to get it figured out but it will happen eventually.

I was also quite surprised they denied any liability for damages. I have a call scheduled with their claims manager tomorrow to get some more info on the denial and hopefully reverse their decision if I can prove the drone was not legally operated.
You should have kept that drone. They left the scene of an accident... try that route

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard