DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI fly app?

It could be that it has a different name to differentiate that app with the more functional app that is designed for the more expensive models. DJI may have made an assumption that expired drone owners wouldn't be interested in the Mini.

There's usually a compelling reason to do that. Otherwise that project has taken on serious risk for little reward. And the functionality usually isn't removed, you are trying to add more functionality.

They could move forward without breaking the app. They have enough strategic partnerships where it would make no sense that they would break existing API's. You can completely rewrite the code base and still support existing API's. This happens a lot, too.

Maybe, but we have nothing to base that on, other than a stripped down app for a stripped down Mavic. One data point does not make a trend. At the end of the day, DJI wants to sell more drones. Intentionally limiting their app and antagonizing their user base would interfere with that.

Yeah, well we are all simply guessing what we think is happening and what will eventuate. I'm just going on what I have seen time and time again based on my experience. It is common for a new product to be developed over a longish period of time in parallel with production code. Key industry partners are involved early in the development life cycle so that they can test the new APIs etc.

For obvious reasons, a lot of effort is usually allocated to minimising the risks you have alluded to but at the end of the day, DJI and many other technology innovators for that matter are happy to let their customers help with the Quality Assurance process. You only need to look at the history of DJI Go 4 and how many significant bugs were introduced as part of Production code releases. The users complain, the bugs are fixed accordingly, and we all move on.

I don't have time to address your other points other than to suggest that we will just have to agree to disagree. In any case, I have asked the question on the DJI forum and will be interested to review the feedback.

DJI Fly App has in the Play Store the Package Name dji.go.v5, which for me also points on a replacement approach.
2019-11-29 071608.png

THe DJI Fly app is available at Google Play for Amazon systems (you need 6.0 or better) and for both Amazon and IOS at the DJI web site.

I suspect Play checks OS version (must be 6.0 and over), hardware and OS CPU version (must be 64 bit), and installed RAM (4GB) and won't present the app if these criteria aren't met. However manual install of APK seems to work for systems <4GB.

DJI was less than forthcoming - the following was posted in answer to my question:-

"Hi. Thank you for your valued insights with the DJI Fly application. As of the moment we don't have any information regarding the DJI Fly application and it's future updates."

Someone else (like the guy in the video) suggested that, because "in one of the menus they have a list of the other drones", DJI Fly must be a new application as opposed to being DJI Go 4 with a new interface. On reflection I'm now thinking that's probably more of an indication that it is in fact DJI Go 4 with the menu item that displays the list of drones either intentionally or otherwise left unchanged.

So I will now humbly bow out of this particular debate.

Even the Phantom 3 is listed in Academy (book icon upper right corner). They're not going to anything new with that. It's just a convenient link to DJI's online information.

just like they make new version of drones, eventually
they are going to the DJI fly app

Right. The RC side of the SC only supports OS2. Now if the Mini were able to be controlled directly from a tablet using direct WiFi, then maybe, but you still wouldn't be using the physical sticks.

Reactions: deleted member 877
were you able to actually link smart controller`s radio somehow with mavic mini? or you only discuss an opposite way - to see if dji fly app can control mavic 2 platform?
I dont own a mavic mini but have heard there is an option of mavic 2 under the options in the menu in the DJI Fly app so it should connect. I dont think you could connect to a Mini as Smart controller is Occ 2. But google play store doesnt have the app listed on my Smart Controller???

I dont own a mavic mini but have heard there is an option of mavic 2 under the options in the menu in the DJI Fly app so it should connect. I dont think you could connect to a Mini as Smart controller is Occ 2. But google play store doesnt have the app listed on my Smart Controller???

The fact that there are other drones (besides the Mavic Mini) listed in the options menu is most likely the result of poor quality assurance. The developers should have commented out all List items except the MM.

I bet he was using a very early edition of Fly. Now Android sees the USB ID and presents only the Fly app as a choice, whereas my P3A and M2 give me a choice to launch Airmap, Go 3 or Go 4.

As for Fly showing a choice of models, that's in the document/academy section (the book icon top right corner).

I don’t really care which app they use as long as it’s compatible with all DJI products. The Fly app doesn’t work with my CrystalSky Ultra and it seems that it never will!? Bummer!!

I don’t really care which app they use as long as it’s compatible with all DJI products. The Fly app doesn’t work with my CrystalSky Ultra and it seems that it never will!? Bummer!!

Why is that important? Just go with whatever DJI is offering. What you're asking for is in the future, so for now just chill out and go with the flow. Have you got a compatible smart phone or tablet?

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scott911