DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI fly app?

D-Rosin

Reactions
Does anyone know wen the new DJI fly app is going to be out to replace the dji go 4 app?

If your talking about the MM App I don’t see that replacing
Go4.

Reactions: Thomas B
Does anyone know wen the new DJI fly app is going to be out to replace the dji go 4 app?
Likely never since it only contains a subset of the DJI GO features.

Reactions: ksmusa and dirkclod
Does anyone know for sure that there will be one?
go do a youtube search, what i saw was pretty cool new app and they showed some features

If your talking about the MM App I don’t see that replacing
Go4.
its called DJI Fly app.
its going to be replacing the DJI go 4 app.
From DJI.
Guy's YOUTUBE just do a search.....

that video talks about the new app

Thats just one guy’s opinion, will believe it when I see it.
Not calling you out on it but like Thomas I will beleave it
when I see it.

From a Software Development Governance point of view, it makes sense to maintain a single code base. People ask - why did DJI develop DJI Fly for the Mavic Mini when they could have simply used a cut-down version of DJI Go 4? I'm going to agree with those who reckon that DJI Fly will eventually supersede DJI Go 4.

Reactions: D-Rosin
From a Software Development Governance point of view, it makes sense to maintain a single code base. People ask - why did DJI develop DJI Fly for the Mavic Mini when they could have simply used a cut-down version of DJI Go 4? I'm going to agree with those who reckon that DJI Fly will eventually supersede DJI Go 4.
How do we know that DJI Fly isn't a cut-down version of DJI Go 4? Using the same back end code, just with a new and simplified front end. It would make no sense from a Software Development/QA point of view to just stop using a code that is tested and working.

How do we know that DJI Fly isn't a cut-down version of DJI Go 4? Using the same back end code, just with a new and simplified front end. It would make no sense from a Software Development/QA point of view to just stop using a code that is tested and working.

Then why give it a new name? Where I come from (the software development industry) dropping a tested and working application for something with a whole new architecture and maybe even written using a different language happens all the time.

Eventually and for various reasons you just have to bite the bullet and move forward. During the time that DJI Go 4 has evolved the developers have possibly done things that they now regret and have been putting bandaids on - again this happens a lot.

DJI Fly could be the beginning of the fresh start that will ultimately be rolled out to replace the legacy application.

Reactions: D-Rosin
I hope not. I'm really not a fan of the UI of Fly. The radar as a replacement for the attitude indicator? Please!

Then why give it a new name? Where I come from (the software development industry) dropping a tested and working application for something with a whole new architecture and maybe even written using a different language happens all the time.
It could be that it has a different name to differentiate that app with the more functional app that is designed for the more expensive models. DJI may have made an assumption that expired drone owners wouldn't be interested in the Mini.
Where I come from (the software development industry) dropping a tested and working application for something with a whole new architecture and maybe even written using a different language happens all the time.
There's usually a compelling reason to do that. Otherwise that project has taken on serious risk for little reward. And the functionality usually isn't removed, you are trying to add more functionality.
Eventually and for various reasons you just have to bite the bullet and move forward. During the time that DJI Go 4 has evolved the developers have possibly done things that they now regret and have been putting bandaids on - again this happens a lot.
They could move forward without breaking the app. They have enough strategic partnerships where it would make no sense that they would break existing API's. You can completely rewrite the code base and still support existing API's. This happens a lot, too.
DJI Fly could be the beginning of the fresh start that will ultimately be rolled out to replace the legacy application.
Maybe, but we have nothing to base that on, other than a stripped down app for a stripped down Mavic. One data point does not make a trend. At the end of the day, DJI wants to sell more drones. Intentionally limiting their app and antagonizing their user base would interfere with that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman