DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly vs. DJI Go 4

Not A Speck Of Cereal

Reactions
I read somewhere else that if you're still using DJI Go 4, you're behind the curve.

So I went to DJI's site on looked up Fly and found nothing but surface level marketing material that doesn't answer any questions.

I searched the forums here and found 2 threads with DJI Fly in the subject title that did not cover the comparison to DJI Go 4

So please illuminate this for me. I am happy to download it and try, but this is a tough flying time-of-year here in Seattle (and perhaps this would be a useful thread for many).

It sounds like it might be more of an Air and Mini app, not so much for Mavic 2 Pro series. It also sounds like it might be a simplified (dumbed down?) app for people that don't want to do deep editing (with all the editing/splicing and color grading and etc.) and also for people that want to share to social media from, the app.

None of that appeals to me. Do I have the wrong impressions?

Thanks, Chris

I read somewhere else that if you're still using DJI Go 4, you're behind the curve.

So I went to DJI's site on looked up Fly and found nothing but surface level marketing material that doesn't answer any questions.

I searched the forums here and found 2 threads with DJI Fly in the subject title that did not cover the comparison to DJI Go 4

So please illuminate this for me. I am happy to download it and try, but this is a tough flying time-of-year here in Seattle (and perhaps this would be a useful thread for many).

It sounds like it might be more of an Air and Mini app, not so much for Mavic 2 Pro series. It also sounds like it might be a simplified (dumbed down?) app for people that don't want to do deep editing (with all the editing/splicing and color grading and etc.) and also for people that want to share to social media from, the app.

None of that appeals to me. Do I have the wrong impressions?

Thanks, Chris
You have the wrong idea mate. It’s not an either/or situation. You can only use the Fly app with the mini, Mini2, or Air 2. Go4 is for the older Mavics only.

From using both - Fly isn’t ‘dumbed down’. It’s less cluttered and less clunky, and easier to use because of it.

As for editing. There’s not a great deal of difference. Fly has more off the shelf options. I don’t think anyone serious about editing would use the DJI apps, but go for a solid editing suite.

Last edited:
Unfortunately we are stuck to using Go, Go4 and Fly with the drones they were intended for.

I loathe the slider button limit adjustments of the fly app, to set a desired ceiling or range limit I am lucky if I can get within 10ft of it and then it takes maybe 20 to 30 seconds of try, try, try again to get even that close. Everywhere else I think I would simply prefer the features of the Go4 App to the lay out of Fly.

That said I would LOVE to get the Go App's "course lock" back in both Go4 and Fly.

Reactions: DanMan32
Unfortunately we are stuck to using Go, Go4 and Fly with the drones they were intended for.

I loathe the slider button limit adjustments of the fly app, to set a desired ceiling or range limit I am lucky if I can get within 10ft of it and then it takes maybe 20 to 30 seconds of try, try, try again to get even that close. Everywhere else I think I would simply prefer the features of the Go4 App to the lay out of Fly.

That said I would LOVE to get the Go App's "course lock" back in both Go4 and Fly.
Yep... ?marketing vs. functionality?

Well, there's always LITCHI.
Not for everything, not yet. ;) Litchi isn't available yet for the MA2 (in early beta) or the Mini 2 (no sdk yet) and barely for the Mini (missing functionality). It's not Litchi's fault, they have to wait for DJI to release the sdk for them to build their software off of.

Course lock was dropped starting with M2. I'm pretty sure it's still available with M1 and possibly with MA1.
For M2, tapfly is a decent substitute. Not sure if MA1 has tapfly.

You have the wrong idea mate. It’s not an either/or situation. You can only use the Fly app with the mini, Mini2, or Air 2. Go4 is for the older Mavics only.

From using both - Fly isn’t ‘dumbed down’. It’s less cluttered and less clunky, and easier to use because of it.

As for editing. There’s not a great deal of difference. Fly has more off the shelf options. I don’t think anyone serious about editing would use the DJI apps, but go for a solid editing suite.
I would consider Fly dumbed down. Just compare MA1 with MA2. Lots of functions and settings in MA1 missing in MA2, and some simply because Fly doesn't address it. It was found that Litchi can turn off VPS and landing protection for MA2. Show me where you can do that in Fly.

The battery state timeline in Go made it quite easy to visualize your battery state and how close to RTH and forced landing. You could watch the little H circle move right as you flew further out.

So yes, Fly is dumbed down big time, especially for MA2.

Not for everything, not yet. ;) Litchi isn't available yet for the MA2 (in early beta) or the Mini 2 (no sdk yet) and barely for the Mini (missing functionality). It's not Litchi's fault, they have to wait for DJI to release the sdk for them to build their software off of.
I’m sure I’ve read litchi and the sdk are both out for the Mini 2

The FLY APP is just the GO APP with some functions removed. e.g. turning VPS on/off, the attitude indicator ( added back in the latest FLY app version ), seperate indication of the uplink ( control signal ) and downlink ( video feed + telemetry ) signal strength, waypoints, etc ....

The others are all the same.

You have to fly the assigned App. I switch back and forth between the two Air's and the Spark. I prefer the the Fly App. Lots of info on battery with a single tap along with most camera settings, active track, roll disable/enable ..as opposed to menu's and sub menu's on the Go4

On the playstore when I search DJI Fly it only gives me the DJI Go app

...and the Phantoms and Inspires, as well. :)

...and the Phantoms and Inspires, as well. :)
Well yes, but given this is the Mavic forum so that’s not relevant really ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky