DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI FLY will now update in-app on Android.

DJI updated v1.2.4 just enough to trigger an in-app update. After the download and install the app version remains at v1.2.4.

1612339016442.png

I don't know if this is good news.
I think they abandon google play since dji fly couldn't pass the security check. :-/
Leaks to much info maybe?

The odd thing is that version 1.2.4 of the app is available in the Samsung Galaxy app store

Correct me if i'm wrong but it seems to me that this would mean none of the versions going forward will be available to roll back to, we're stuck with the latest that we accepted plus whatever we already have APKs for.

Last edited:
Correct me if i'm wrong but it seems to me that this would mean none of the versions going forward will be available to roll back to, we're stuck with the latest that we accepted plus whatever we already have APKs for.
You can still manually download the current apk off of the DJI downloads page.

You can also select prior releases to download from apk mirror.

You can still manually download the current apk off of the DJI downloads page.

You can also select prior releases to download from apk mirror.
Yes, that's what my hypothesis was. So if things stay the way they are now and DJI just keeps this base version and pulls down the latest internals in-app, then we won't be able to go from, say, a future 1.3.1 back to 1.2.9. You either stop updating, you accept the latest or you go back to 1.2.4 and older.

Yes, that's what my hypothesis was. So if things stay the way they are now and DJI just keeps this base version and pulls down the latest internals in-app, then we won't be able to go from, say, a future 1.3.1 back to 1.2.9. You either stop updating, you accept the latest or you go back to 1.2.4 and older.
The DJI downloads page always has the latest version of the Fly app. It does not remain on the same version even with the new in-app update notice and install feature. Case in point, the filename for the apk on DJI downloads prior to the latest apk was 1611582370516-DJI-v1.2.4-210125-917-46460-official-sec.apk. This apk was the one that had the new in-app update notice and install. I had this version on my phone and then a couple of days ago I received the in-app update notice and install. After the install I checked the downloads page and the filename for the apk is now 1612152804487-DJI-v1.2.4-210129-919-46466-official-sec.apk.

So with each new Fly update you can still visit the DJI downloads page to download the updated apk to keep your own repository of previous versions or visit apk mirror to install an earlier version.

FWIW, this evening I started up my Smart Controller to "check process" so I could write a Forum Reply. I was met with the offer to Update. Before doing so I checked and (knowing already) the Fly App was already 1.2.4. I turned off the controller, checked the DJI Support Download page and noted that 1.2.4 was "current" ... So, when the Update offer re-appeared upon restarting the SC, I went ahead with the update. Download took about 15 minutes (slow internet connection) after installation and resource file updates I opened the App. Still 1.2.4. Turned off the SC and restarted, checked again... still 1.2.4. Seems like the conclusion of DroneDJ blog is accurate. DJI seemed to be testing the process at the expense of my time. (raspberry expression of distain)

But you still need to open the App actively to get information about updates, right? I personally would like to see a push notification that appears from itself as soon as there is a new version available (like messengers do even if they are not always running), that would be even more comfortable to not miss out any bugfix release etc. Opening the app in the field and then getting update info is not that ideal with a 250mb download package over cellular network (yes, of course you can skip it always, but maybe it is a safety thing to update)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78