DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI FPV Combo 2021 Rumors? Where is it?

xellinus

Reactions
So I've not seen any traction lately on the rumoured FPV drone. Does anyone else know any more? I've been holding off on my next drone (since i lost my tello :( (poor Polyphemus, they may have been blind but it was NO ONE's fault. I swear!)) until they release this one because what I really wanna do is sit on my balcony and FPV fly my drone around my neighborhood.

Le sigh. Anything?

I doubt anything official will come until spring in the northern hemisphere.

So I've not seen any traction lately on the rumoured FPV drone. Does anyone else know any more? I've been holding off on my next drone (since i lost my tello :( (poor Polyphemus, they may have been blind but it was NO ONE's fault. I swear!)) until they release this one because what I really wanna do is sit on my balcony and FPV fly my drone around my neighborhood.

Le sigh. Anything?
I imagine we aren’t going to see any new drones over 250g till all the details of remote ID requirements in the US are worked out.

Reactions: Thomas B

Le sigh. Anything?
Well ... why wait if all you wanna do is fly :cool:

It's now dozens of mini 4" long range quads that you can buy "Bind & Fly" ... no need to tinker & solder anymore ... with Li-ion batteries they are good for 25-30min cruising flights. And if you have a need to stay below 250g it's also possible with a smaller LiPo battery.

If you go for the DJI HD system instead of the more newbie hostile analog system ... either with DJI's own video unit, "DJI AIR unit" or the lighter "CaddX Vista unit" (both have the same FPV cam & both include a receiver) ... all you need more is the DJI FPV radio & the DJI FPV goggles (which both the later will be the same as in the FPV package that all rumors are about, the radio will though have another form factor).

With this route you will be less locked in both when it comes to flight characteristics as you can buy other types of quads for other purposes much cheaper than a FPV quad branded DJI & regulate how "poppy" you want the same quad to be for the flight you're about to do by putting on different batteries.

So ...

One 4" LR quad BnF of your choice with DJI HD system (approx $300 range)

1611942824405.png1611943685842.png1611943455350.png1611943572409.png1611943845884.png
One DJI radio
1611942894998.png

The DJI FPV goggles
1611942978455.png

A Battery charger of your choice
1611943009347.png

And as many batteries of different weights & mAh you want (generic form factor that you can use in other quads also)

1611943060146.png

And you're good to go ... much better choice than to go for a DJI kit-quad with dedicated batteries which mean that you can't mod or reuse anything to a second quad.

Reactions: GarthH and xellinus
I moved to drones about 10 years ago. Had a couple custom built and flew some FPV flights with early Fat Sharks. Along the way had a couple of Phantoms. Now I fly an Air 2. Recently watching some FPV cinewhoop videos, and dang I knew I was hooked again. I researched putting a FPV drone package together, but the expense was high for my budget, even for a basic FPV package. The drone, the GoPro, the goggles, the receiver, $$$, etc., so I gave up. But then I saw this little guy. A complete package for under $300. Youtube was all over it. So at the end of February, mine will arrive! So if you want to dip your toe into the FPV world, this may be an option for you. As a disclaimer, I have zero connections with the company who builds them nor will I get the one I ordered any sooner:-(. But if you're like me and wanting to shoot some 4K video with a crazy flight indoors or outdoors, this may work for you. It's a GERPC TinyGo. Check out some its the videos.

...I researched putting a FPV drone package together, but the expense was high for my budget, even for a basic FPV package. The drone, the GoPro, the goggles, the receiver, $$$, etc...
Yeah ... to enter the FPV arena will not come cheap if you want to go high quality with the DJI HD system or analog with the best there.

Once over the first initial investment you can reuse everything but the quad itself though ... have a 7" long range for sweeping cruising flights & wants to add a second quick freestyle quad, zipping around low & close then the cost is way lower than buying everything all over as with for instance the Mavic camera drones ... as nothing is possible to transfer & reuse there.

So with that said ... can't see the benefits with the rumored DJI FPV quad kit? The Quad there looks like it will have dedicated batteries, model specific accessories & will most probably not be less $$$ than buying what you want piece by piece.

Someone perhaps will say that the system setup will be a lot easier with a complete DJI FPV quad-kit as it should just be to charge thing's up & fly ... well that's not any different than buying any other "Bind & Fly" quad with the DJI video/reciever unit (or CaddX) ... it's just push a button on the quad, set the goggles in bind mode & those two are done. Then again push the same button on the quad & set the DJI radio in bind mode ... and now all 3 units is functional together.

All talk about tuning in the Betaflight firmware to make them fly properly then ... must be only for PRO's? Not at all ... most Bind & Fly quads you buy today have already been tuned for proper flight characteristics, so if you aren't a tinker you don't need to do anything there.

The only exciting I've heard so far regarding the DJI FPV quad kit is that it might be able to use 2.4GHz & not only 5.8GHz.

Reactions: snapdog
Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe